School Survival Forums
What do you think of this quote? - Printable Version

+- School Survival Forums (http://forums.school-survival.net)
+-- Forum: The Lounge (/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Forum: General Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+---- Forum: Philosophy, Politics & History (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+---- Thread: What do you think of this quote? (/showthread.php?tid=917)

What do you think of this quote? - Asder Miller - 05-19-2011 09:42 AM

"If there is no discipline, there is anarchy. Good citizenship demands attention to responsibilities as well as rights."
Joe Clark

Based on this movie

Re: What do you think of this quote? - Miller0700 - 05-19-2011 09:52 AM

Asder Miller Wrote:"If there is no discipline, there is anarchy. Good citizenship demands attention to responsibilities as well as rights."
Joe Clark

Based on this movie

Subservience sucks balls. Biggrin

Re: What do you think of this quote? - HeartofShadows - 05-19-2011 10:08 AM

Seen that movie.
it was based of a true story that didn't even follow it in any way what so ever.

Re: What do you think of this quote? - Absnt - 05-19-2011 11:20 AM

Asder Miller Wrote:"If there is no discipline, there is anarchy.
Quote:Discipline: The practice of training people to obey rules or a code of behavior, using punishment to correct disobedience.
Herp, and derp, that's kind of the point of discipline.

Quote:Good citizenship demands attention to responsibilities as well as rights." - Joe Clark

First of all, that quote isn't even original. He didn't come up with the notion that responsibilities are as important as rights. That notion has been around for centuries.

Second of all, what the fuck is "good citizenship"? Fuck being a "good citizen"... I'd rather be my goddamn self, and not an element of the government.

Third of all, and most importantly, SCHOOL SHOULD NOT BE A FUCKING RESPONSIBILITY! The ONLY responsibilities we have to our government is to pay our obligatory taxes and avoid breaking laws. We should not have a responsibility to do anything but those two things... Therefore, in the context this guy is using the quote, which is school, he is fucking wrong. Outside of school, sure, he's right, but he probably assumes a lot of things are our obligations to the government, instead of the two simple things I outlined above.

Re: What do you think of this quote? - HeartofShadows - 05-19-2011 11:30 AM

Absentinsomniac Wrote:Third of all, and most importantly, SCHOOL SHOULD NOT BE A FUCKING RESPONSIBILITY! The ONLY responsibilities we have to our government is to pay our obligatory taxes and avoid breaking laws. We should not have a responsibility to do anything but those two things... Therefore, in the context this guy is using the quote, which is school, he is fucking wrong. Outside of school, sure, he's right, but he probably assumes a lot of things are our obligations to the government, instead of the two simple things I outlined above.

Trust me the main character is just an uppity nigger who yells alot and uses a loud speaker to make kids do what he wants them to do.

I was hoping he would die.

Re: What do you think of this quote? - Sociopath - 05-19-2011 11:54 AM

Absentinsomniac Wrote:Third of all, and most importantly, SCHOOL SHOULD NOT BE A FUCKING RESPONSIBILITY! The ONLY responsibilities we have to our government is to pay our obligatory taxes and avoid breaking laws. We should not have a responsibility to do anything but those two things... Therefore, in the context this guy is using the quote, which is school, he is fucking wrong. Outside of school, sure, he's right, but he probably assumes a lot of things are our obligations to the government, instead of the two simple things I outlined above.
What is responsibility? A forced burden. It takes away our freedom of choice by forcing us into bondage. There's a word for that, you know..."Slavery."

We don't owe any government any-thing.

Re: What do you think of this quote? - LOON_ATTIC - 05-19-2011 11:59 AM

Absentinsomniac Wrote:The ONLY responsibilities we have to our government is to pay our obligatory taxes and avoid breaking laws. We should not have a responsibility to do anything but those two things... Therefore, in the context this guy is using the quote, which is school, he is fucking wrong. Outside of school, sure, he's right, but he probably assumes a lot of things are our obligations to the government, instead of the two simple things I outlined above.
What about taxes on things we think are fucked up (school, war), and laws that are clearly wrong? (Truancy, software piracy, herp derp...)?

Re: What do you think of this quote? - SH☮TGUNHEⒶRT - 05-19-2011 12:04 PM

Bullshit movie they made us watch in th 7th grade.
Also, anarchy is great!

Re: What do you think of this quote? - Miller0700 - 05-19-2011 12:23 PM

Sociopath Wrote:What is responsibility? A forced burden. It takes away our freedom of choice by forcing us into bondage. There's a word for that, you know..."Slavery."

We don't owe any government any-thing.

Fucking this.

Re: What do you think of this quote? - Absnt - 05-19-2011 02:24 PM

I'm not advocating government taxes, or laws. I'm just stating the facts. We are, under threat of punishment, required to pay taxes and obey the law. Therefore they are our "responsibilities".

Re: What do you think of this quote? - LOON_ATTIC - 05-19-2011 03:09 PM

BUT SCHOOL IS THE LAW
Just like a lot of other fucking stupid laws.
It's as justified about as much as taxes and laws. Maybe not as much, but meh.

Re: What do you think of this quote? - Miller0700 - 05-20-2011 12:11 AM

Absentinsomniac Wrote:I'm not advocating government taxes, or laws. I'm just stating the facts. We are, under threat of punishment, required to pay taxes and obey the law. Therefore they are our "responsibilities".
None of us asked for any of it. Its not our responsibility. Its coercive ability.

Re: What do you think of this quote? - .Manicrose. - 05-20-2011 01:00 AM

Ohmygod you guiz the government knowz whats best for us. Lawz keep us safe, lol. Omg guiyz I can't believe you don't know that.

Re: What do you think of this quote? - Absnt - 05-20-2011 05:37 AM

Lunatic Wrote:BUT SCHOOL IS THE LAW
Just like a lot of other fucking stupid laws.
It's as justified about as much as taxes and laws. Maybe not as much, but meh.

Good point.

I still think school should not be classified a "responsibility" we have to the state though. There's a difference between not robbing someone, and not going to school for 8 hours a day.

RE: What do you think of this quote? - Trekkie_Aspie - 01-31-2013 11:54 PM

Yeh...there's a difference between useful discipline and arbitrary discipline.