School Survival Forums
As I teacher do you expect me to break up fights? - Printable Version

+- School Survival Forums (http://forums.school-survival.net)
+-- Forum: Learning, Youth Rights and School Survival (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: School Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: As I teacher do you expect me to break up fights? (/showthread.php?tid=5642)

As I teacher do you expect me to break up fights? - TheCancer - 02-06-2010 09:45 AM

Because I'm just not really into it. A big fight broke out today and every teacher including 50+ year old women ran to the scene. I'm more inclined to let the fight run it's course. My standard M.O. is to stand by and say 'stop fighting'. Breaking up fights can get you hurt, sued, stressed-out and so on.

Re: As I teacher do you expect me to break up fights? - Kasha - 02-06-2010 09:53 AM

TheCancer Wrote:Because I'm just not really into it. A big fight broke out today and every teacher including 50+ year old women ran to the scene. I'm more inclined to let the fight run it's course. My standard M.O. is to stand by and say 'stop fighting'. Breaking up fights can get you hurt, sued, stressed-out and so on.

You are 100% right. Anyway teachers hardly ever stop a big fight, They just get pushed out of the way.

Re: As I teacher do you expect me to break up fights? - Eidolon - 02-06-2010 10:14 AM

I would think that any student who expects you to break up a fight is in the vast minority. This may or may not have to do with the students' mental maturity. One would expect the more mature among them to care a little more about their fellow students, and frown upon violence between each other, right? Conversely, the less mature students would want you as far away from the fight as possible; they'd want to watch some kids beat on each other. This is, of course, just speculation. Maybe somebody who's still in school can clear it up. Razz

Anyhow, I would not expect you to break up a fight any more than I would another bystander. The responsibility to end fights belongs to everyone around, not just teachers.

I'm conflicted on how I should feel about school fights. On one hand, the fighters made a choice to fight. If I try to stop them from fighting, I'm taking away their right to choose. On the other hand, violence is generally not cool, and somebody could get seriously hurt.

Re: As I teacher do you expect me to break up fights? - The Desert Fox - 02-06-2010 11:05 AM

Let kids defend themselves. Teachers will never always be around, and even then they rarely do anything. Don't suspend a kid because he fought back.

Re: As I teacher do you expect me to break up fights? - Thade - 02-06-2010 11:21 AM

There was a huge fight in school today. One of the teachers stepped in and got a black eye. My suggestion: Don't do it.

Re: As I teacher do you expect me to break up fights? - Ceiling Cat - 02-06-2010 11:24 AM

From my own experience, teachers break fights and get between those who want to settle something, or do it for fun, while they cowardly shit their pants or waste time trying to call for help when someone's bullied and beaten up with no chance.

Re: As I teacher do you expect me to break up fights? - TheCancer - 02-06-2010 11:50 AM

Quote:waste time trying to call for help

Well, I'm not a bouncer.

For me it's case-by-case, if I know a student well and know he's being bullied I will risk injury to intervene (and have many times) but if all I know for sure is one student is losing a fight I call for assistance. It may be 'cowardly' but I'm a teacher not an MMA expert. Once I had a student land four closed fist punches on my face. He went to jail and I got a bruised up face so I can't say my intervention was very successful. And if the resource officer didn't pull him off me I could have been hurt much worse. That was me trying to stop bullying and I took those punches instead of a weaker kid but it's not like anyone ever thanked me.

Re: As I teacher do you expect me to break up fights? - Rebelnerd - 02-06-2010 11:54 AM

Let them fight it out and only intervene if it looks like someone might get seriously hurt, or if it's unfair (on vs. many, huge kid vs. tiny kid, etc...). And for God's sake don't punish the kid who didn't start it.

Re: As I teacher do you expect me to break up fights? - Thade - 02-06-2010 11:54 AM

I would thank you. If any of the teachers in my school cared enough to tell the idiotic guys in my class to shut their asses up and go to hell or stand up for us I'd be estatic. But, they hate us too because we are wierd and emo. T-T

Re: As I teacher do you expect me to break up fights? - TheCancer - 02-06-2010 12:04 PM

Quote:because we are wierd and emo.

I love weird emo kids. The creative type of your generation are amazing.

Re: As I teacher do you expect me to break up fights? - Night - 02-07-2010 02:52 AM

Thade Wrote:There was a huge fight in school today. One of the teachers stepped in and got a black eye. My suggestion: Don't do it.
How come i don't remember this?

TheCancer Wrote:
Quote:because we are wierd and emo.

I love weird emo kids. The creative type of your generation are amazing.
WOO!

Re: As I teacher do you expect me to break up fights? - CrayolaColours - 02-07-2010 02:58 AM

Neither of you really seem all that emo to me... well, stereotypical emos at least, which is probably a good thing.

Re: As I teacher do you expect me to break up fights? - Thade - 02-10-2010 05:57 AM

night.artist Wrote:
Thade Wrote:There was a huge fight in school today. One of the teachers stepped in and got a black eye. My suggestion: Don't do it.
How come i don't remember this?
quote]
You don't remember this because it was on west. Razz