School Survival Forums
Creating Dissent Against School - A Field Manual. (EFO) - Printable Version

+- School Survival Forums (http://forums.school-survival.net)
+-- Forum: Learning, Youth Rights and School Survival (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: School Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Creating Dissent Against School - A Field Manual. (EFO) (/showthread.php?tid=406)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Creating Dissent Against School - A Field Manual. (EFO) - Absnt - 07-14-2011 04:41 PM

What the hell this thread is about.
Hidden stuff:
Edfreedom.org is a website that was purchased by Soulriser recently to facilitate the Education Freedom Organisation. (The website is under construction.) The organisation has it's own thread which you can click on here: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=29205

The goal of the organisation is more or less to reform public schools and remove the compulsory part of compulsory schooling. In order to do this, however, we are going to need groups of people in different school districts to help spread the message and actively work towards our goals. Right now, however, we are stuck with very few, far and inbetween individuals who are having a limited impact.

In order to remedy this situation, we've decided to write a "field manual" of sorts to help our individual members who are far and inbetween create dissent in their area so the seeds of our revolution can be planted. If all goes well, these individuals will actively turn a large portion of the school's students against compulsory schooling and for our cause, thus, creating a hotspot that can possibly be used for walk-outs, sit-ins, mass skip days, the creation of a formal group and/or other forms of rebellion.

I've got some ideas regarding this manual. I think we should make it a manual that appeals to the type of people who would take action and be willing to create dissent against schools. People who have an affinity for subversive type shit, and all of that. We need the manual to reflect a sort of awesomeness that won't be lost on anyone within the social structure of high schools. In other words, it needs to be fucking cool. That way, it will spread faster and more and more people will decide to help out.

I also think we should take examples from psyop manuals and the CIA. They usually engage in creating dissent or changing public opinion, which is more or less what we are trying to do. We're trying to convince everyone that public schooling is NOT right and that it needs to be changed, that way we can make REAL change in the system.

In order to write this thing, I think we should have someone write a chapter or a page or whatever, and then someone else just add on to it, and so on, and so on until we have a book that we can organise and perfect into what we need it to be. I'll Start:

Quote:Chapter 1: Introduction.

If you've decided to read this manual, you are probably considering taking action to change the public opinion of compulsory schooling in your area. That's commendable and all, but this isn't going to be a cakewalk. Be prepared for a long, gruelling task that will force you to think creatively, work for long periods of time, and work your god-damn ass off. Changing public opinion is NOT an easy task, and we believe it'd be best if you accept and embrace that now before you start.

That, however, should not persuade you to cease your efforts. Most worth while projects are difficult, and we absolutely positively need individuals like yourself to operate on a scale that will change the opinion of your peers. Without individuals like yourself, our organisation will crumble and cease to have any meaningful impact. An Internet based organisation like ours relies on the people who are willing to get out there, and actually do something. Creating petitions, and writing articles can only bring us so far. We need people like you to form our front line. We need people like you to bring the REAL change.

The scope of this manual is to do one thing, and one thing only: to provide guidelines for individuals who are willing to get out there and change the opinion of the public. It's literature to help the imperative mission of creating groups of real people in areas were they can make a real impact. We need to create state-wide, national, and even international dissent against schools so we can really get things to change. If you think your up for it, then continue on and use this reference as a guide to change the opinions of the masses in your area...

Re: Creating Descent Against School - A Field Manual. (EFO) - The Desert Fox - 07-14-2011 05:34 PM

Chapter 2: Spreading the Word?

Re: Creating Descent Against School - A Field Manual. (EFO) - Miller0700 - 07-14-2011 05:38 PM

Tell me if you don't like it:

Quote:Chapter 2: Our Purpose.

The purpose for this manual is to educate you on why compulsory schooling harms children's inert nature to learn. We hope to also inform you on some tips to help raise awareness of the dangers of compulsory schooling in your area in hopes to lesson or/and remove it from your curriculum.

We hope this manual also raises awareness in alternate forms of learning (Homeschooling, Natural Learning, GED, Online Schooling, ETC) and to (indirectly) raise awareness in the needs and rights of our youth today.

Like we said, this won't be easy and this will take a lot of effort and persistence to pull it off. This can only work if you're determined to do so (But we don't want to reiterate Chapter 1). So if your're too lazy, too afraid, or believe the schooling system is correct, please discontinue use of this manual and consider doing something else with your time.

If you're still reading this and still interested, let's begin.....

Re: Creating Descent Against School - A Field Manual. (EFO) - Miller0700 - 07-14-2011 07:06 PM

I'll keep going cause I'm in the mood. Tell me if you like it:

Quote:Chapter 3: School in a Nutshell.

School sucks. Everyone knows that. But the reason is complicated.

From the moment we are born, we crave to explore, to understand, to learn. By the time we can walk, we attempt to understand the world around us. We try to understand what makes plants green, what makes the sky blue, what makes the wind blow, ETC.

But along those lines of growth and curiosity, we are suddenly placed in schools. At first, we love it: The nice teachers, the caring staff, many kids to play with. But then something changes. And plus they have all the knowledge there. There is no need, no point to explore anymore. But we find out that its not fun the hard way. After awhile, we're laced with homework, forced to follow rules, yelled at by teachers, abused by bullies, categorized by the "popular crowd", and labeled by the school. And what's worse is that we aren't allowed to leave. Yeah you can leave, but you'll be caught by truant officer, yelled at by your parents and frowned upon. We find out that haven is actually hell.

We also find out that our curiosity and our need to understand are squashed. We are told not to care about our desires. Our desires don't matter in society. We are unable to learn what we want anymore. Rather, we have to learn what they want us to learn.

Writer and enviornmentalist Daniel Quinn summed it up perfectly:

"It didn't much matter what it was. Have them memorize the capitals of every state. Have them memorize the principle products of every state. Have them learn the steps a bill takes in passing Congress. No one wondered or cared if these were things kids wanted to know or needed to know--or would ever need to know. No one wondered or ever troubled to find out if the material being added to the curriculum was retained. The educators didn't want to know, and, really, what difference would it make? It didn't matter that, once learned, they were immediately forgotten. It filled up some time."

After awhile, after the nonstop work, demanding teachers, menial rules, cruel bullies, and judgmental peers, we grow tired of our forced institution. We want change, school needs change but we know it can't happen. We want schools where you're not forced to go. We want schools where teachers stand by your ideas and actually try to help you achieve them. We want school where we aren't persecuted by the students nor staff for acting differently. We want schools where we can learn what we please. We want schools where there is no work to be turned in, to be graded on, and to show are overall worth, but like I said, it won't happen. It can't happen if we stay quiet.

We are told that school is needed to get into college, to get a good job and to live a happy life. And most of us actually buy into that. So we stick around. They keep working even though they know something's wrong. Even they know they rather do something else. But they're too scared to learn what they want, that desire we were all born with. They fear being cut off from this "dream" they conjured up if they ever decide to leave it and do something more enjoyable.

"You're here for an education" say every teacher and every principle. They know you have to listen to them (Forced by law), that you have to come to school (Also forced by law), that you need an "education". So this false sense of authority is placed over you. See the trap? Its the trap we all fall in our lives. And now its gotten to the point where some kids defend this prison system. They do everything the teachers ask for. They're the A+ students. The "goody-goodies". They get the special treatment, the shiny medals, scholarships, the pats on the backs, the smiles. They are the ones everyone adores, while we are ignored, mocked, and punished. And they have the audacity to stand in front of us and say that this prison is actually good for us. That we should obey our masters. Isn't that something? Their inert deisre to learn is virtually gone. Replaced with a monetary, materialistic promise that if they obey their "superiors" they'll get everything they want. And more and more of our youth is falling into this trap.

We are the truly intelligent ones. The ones who evaded the conformity, the rules, the work and the teachers. We have to remind everyone that our desires won't be pushed aside. That a true education is one that the child makes. We have to wake up our youth and even the goody-goodies. We have to be their role models.

School sucks. Its a prison. We want to love school. We want to learn there. We want great memories, but this is reality. And in reality, its still dreadful and going their is aggravating. To conclude it up I quote Youtube Atheist, AntiCitizenX:

"This is why we fight. This is why we make videos. This is why people like me do the things we do. We do not make this conclusion because we like it, or because it serves some selfish end, we make this conclusion because it is evidently correct and because our lives are collectively better off when we form our decisions on ideas that are externally valid. "

Would you like to know more?

Re: Creating Descent Against School - A Field Manual. (EFO) - The Desert Fox - 07-14-2011 07:49 PM

I like Chapter 3 Derchin, but maybe you should put some stuff in there about how school needs changing as well.

Re: Creating Descent Against School - A Field Manual. (EFO) - thewake - 07-14-2011 10:21 PM

We need a chapter on education and winning people over. Successful revolutions in the past have been won first through that means, and later by actual action. We need a campaign of modern pamphleteering. Plus, everyone can do this in some way with minimal risk.

Also, you spelled dissent wrong.

Re: Creating Descent Against School - A Field Manual. (EFO) - Faby - 07-14-2011 10:40 PM

Weswammy Wrote:Also, you spelled dissent wrong.

damnit

that was my line

Re: Creating Descent Against School - A Field Manual. (EFO) - thewake - 07-14-2011 10:48 PM

Faby Wrote:
Weswammy Wrote:Also, you spelled dissent wrong.

damnit

that was my line
English is my mother tongue. Good thing I have spell check.

Re: Creating Descent Against School - A Field Manual. (EFO) - Miller0700 - 07-15-2011 01:58 AM

The Desert Fox Wrote:I like Chapter 3 Derchin, but maybe you should put some stuff in there about how school needs changing as well.
Ok

Re: Creating Descent Against School - A Field Manual. (EFO) - Miller0700 - 07-15-2011 02:00 AM

Weswammy Wrote:We need a chapter on education and winning people over. Successful revolutions in the past have been won first through that means, and later by actual action. We need a campaign of modern pamphleteering. Plus, everyone can do this in some way with minimal risk.

Perhaps we can put that (Or I can, if I feel like it) in chapter 4 (What you can do)

Re: Creating Descent Against School - A Field Manual. (EFO) - thewake - 07-15-2011 02:17 AM

Derchin Wrote:
Weswammy Wrote:We need a chapter on education and winning people over. Successful revolutions in the past have been won first through that means, and later by actual action. We need a campaign of modern pamphleteering. Plus, everyone can do this in some way with minimal risk.

Perhaps we can put that (Or I can, if I feel like it) in chapter 4 (What you can do)
The internet is a great tool for dissemination of information, especially social media. I think 'zines are a good idea though, for other reasons.

Re: Creating Dissent Against School - A Field Manual. (EFO) - SoulRiser - 07-15-2011 07:18 AM

Feel free to blatantly steal parts from the SS guide: http://www.school-survival.net/guide/

Re: Creating Dissent Against School - A Field Manual. (EFO) - Unwilling_Authority - 07-15-2011 07:55 AM

Derchin Its great , i may start trying to circulate this or something like that , as i have a few friends who loath school , as i do.
Great Work Smile

Re: Creating Dissent Against School - A Field Manual. (EFO) - Miller0700 - 07-15-2011 08:05 AM

utopiafrets Wrote:Derchin Its great , i may start trying to circulate this or something like that , as i have a few friends who loath school , as i do.
Great Work Smile
Thanks. I'm working on part 4 now.

Re: Creating Dissent Against School - A Field Manual. (EFO) - Unwilling_Authority - 07-15-2011 08:07 AM

Whats part 4 going to be about ?

Re: Creating Dissent Against School - A Field Manual. (EFO) - Miller0700 - 07-15-2011 08:10 AM

utopiafrets Wrote:Whats part 4 going to be about ?
What people can do to spread the word.

Re: Creating Dissent Against School - A Field Manual. (EFO) - Absnt - 07-15-2011 08:50 AM

Derchin Wrote:
utopiafrets Wrote:Whats part 4 going to be about ?
What people can do to spread the word.

Sounds good, and later on we can get more in depth with it and have a chapter on stuff like pamphlets (like weswammy said) and different techniques that psyops groups use, and all of that. We definitely need to get into that type of thing so the individuals in the field have the best chance of winning over the masses.

Also, I think we should all agree that anyone and everyone should feel free to edit other people's shit (not change their post, but quote it and suggest changes.) to suggest changes.

Also, I fixed my spelling error. Smile

Re: Creating Dissent Against School - A Field Manual. (EFO) - LightAbyssion - 07-15-2011 11:41 PM

So I created a rough pamphlet for the group. I PM'd it to Absent and he said he likes it, so y'all take a look. It's in a brochure format, so read the bottom pages first:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B5j31_NM2B5QMmQ4YmE5Y2MtOTIzNy00NTI2LWJhZDEtZWZkMzJmMjM2Y2Rh&hl=en_US

I figured we could pass this thing around, while Derchin's work can be a really detailed guide which people look up for further reading... Or hell, we can spread both works.

Perhaps someone can create a catchy looking logo for the EFO, something I can slap on the front? We can post this thing on edfreedom.org once it's polished up. Feel free to suggest any improvements.

Re: Creating Dissent Against School - A Field Manual. (EFO) - Faby - 07-15-2011 11:43 PM

I made several logo for clients in my lifetime, but in order to know better how to make it, I need to know stuff such as: what's your target audience, what sort of message you want to transmit, and so on.

Re: Creating Dissent Against School - A Field Manual. (EFO) - Absnt - 07-15-2011 11:46 PM

Faby Wrote:I made several logo for clients in my lifetime, but in order to know better how to make it, I need to know stuff such as: what's your target audience, what sort of message you want to transmit, and so on.

Sounds good. I suppose our target audience would be students, but I'm not entirely sure what the message we're trying to transmit is. Obviously the anti-school message, but I'm assuming your interpreting "message" as what kind of style or mood type of message we're trying to transmit. Right?

Re: Creating Dissent Against School - A Field Manual. (EFO) - Faby - 07-16-2011 12:17 AM

http://i.imgur.com/09dzp.jpg

The colours can be different, of course, I just made it fit with the current site theme.

Re: Creating Dissent Against School - A Field Manual. (EFO) - thewake - 07-16-2011 12:18 AM

Faby Wrote:http://i.imgur.com/09dzp.jpg

The colours can be different, of course, I just made it fit with the current site theme.
That is awesome.

Re: Creating Dissent Against School - A Field Manual. (EFO) - Absnt - 07-16-2011 12:22 AM

Weswammy Wrote:
Faby Wrote:http://i.imgur.com/09dzp.jpg

That is awesome.

Agreed, that's pretty damn good, if I do say so myself. We could put the pic on the bottom on the site banner. That'd look good.

Re: Creating Dissent Against School - A Field Manual. (EFO) - Faby - 07-16-2011 01:10 AM

And some shields.

[Image: aGxox.png]

Re: Creating Dissent Against School - A Field Manual. (EFO) - Absnt - 07-16-2011 02:03 AM

So, on the website, what do you think would be best for the banner?

I put this as the banner for now, but I think it'd make sense to integrate one of those pics into it...

Hidden stuff:
[Image: cropped-efo.jpg]

Re: Creating Dissent Against School - A Field Manual. (EFO) - Super Max61 - 07-16-2011 04:50 AM

Faby Wrote:And some shields.

[Image: aGxox.png]

I hate to be buzzkill, but I don't like the lettering that's in the backround......maybe having the url in italics would be better?

Re: Creating Dissent Against School - A Field Manual. (EFO) - Shadowpool13 - 07-16-2011 07:41 AM

If you want cheap printing--
  • Buy a Brother HL-2270DW
  • Look on ebay for tn-420 refills.
  • Superglue a piece of index card sharpied black over clear the plastic windows on the toner cartridge to disable the make-you-buy-toner-before-you-need-it feature.
  • Buy paper by the case at Costco or Craigslist.
  • Learn to disassemble and reassemble that printer with your eyes closed.[/list:u]

After buying the printer, you should be able to print this way for less than half a cent per page and that includes maintaining the printer and electricity. I ran an unofficial print shop for university political orgs in San Francisco doing large zines, pamphlets and fliers--about 3k pages a week for a while. The best way to do this is to get your own small laser printer, and if you get big, two printers. It takes a lot of time to do big projects, but maintenance is cheap and toner is practically free. Your biggest cost will be paper.

I've found the best way to get serious about something is to put money into it. Maybe start a weekly meeting to discuss tactics and collect donations for printing. When people know a dollar will get them 200+ pages of printed material, they tend to get excited. Wink

Let me know if you want help editing stuff.

Re: Creating Dissent Against School - A Field Manual. (EFO) - thewake - 07-16-2011 07:44 AM

We need a pool of material to print, like a sort of Associated Press for the anti-school movement.

Re: Creating Dissent Against School - A Field Manual. (EFO) - Absnt - 07-16-2011 07:54 AM

Shadowpool13 Wrote:I've found the best way to get serious about something is to put money into it. Maybe start a weekly meeting to discuss tactics and collect donations for printing. When people know a dollar will get them 200+ pages of printed material, they tend to get excited. Wink

Let me know if you want help editing stuff.

Damn, that's badass. When I get a job, I'll do that.

weswammy Wrote:We need a pool of material to print, like a sort of Associated Press for the anti-school movement.

Exactly. We need all kinds of different flyers, pamphlets, books, and other shit to disseminate. (By the way, all of these ideas should probably be incorporated into the field manual.)

Re: Creating Dissent Against School - A Field Manual. (EFO) - Super Max61 - 07-16-2011 09:23 AM

(Some of this is absent's ideas)

Were probably gonna need a faq.....pool questions in this thread!

If anyone wants to answer these questions, please do. I'm gonna be busy writing an intro.

What is EFO?

What is EFO's mission?

Why do you care so much?

Isn't school fine the way it is?

If you allow the kids more freedom wouldn't they abuse that?

IDEAGASM

We could have a frequent response page.

School is good for you!

You need to finish high school to go to college and get a good job!

Etc (think of more)