School Survival Forums
Short animation about how school drains us. - Printable Version

+- School Survival Forums (http://forums.school-survival.net)
+-- Forum: Learning, Youth Rights and School Survival (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: School Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Short animation about how school drains us. (/showthread.php?tid=37648)

Short animation about how school drains us. - Avatar Korra - 06-22-2017 09:36 AM

Watch on YouTube
I found this a few hours ago.
It basically shows how school takes our "wings" away.
I wasn't expecting to see so many fellow anti-schoolers in the comments, but they ended up being the majority. <3

Then there were comments like this:
Quote:I go to high school and it really comes down to your attitude towards it. Even though stuff can be unnecessary we have to just deal with it.That's life, like I said, life is unfair. Just try to enjoy high school while you still can because once you're out of it, life only gets harder.

It would be awesome if we could all just change our mindsets in order to "enjoy" anything that violates our rights. Then we could be tranquil, even under the most tyrannical dictatorship. Though, that would require restricting everything that can give life meaning: Individual goals, having likes and dislikes, freedom, exploration and fun. When big faults in society are exposed(slavery, discrimination, abuse, etc) people come together to fight against it, so why is school the one system where "just change your perspective" is a valid way to deal with it?(Changing for an unjust society instead of just fixing the society)

This reminds of what The Analogist replied in one of my old threads:
(02-06-2017 01:43 PM)the Analogist Wrote:  "you've stumbled upon the most pervasive unwritten precept of psychology: 'society is just fine'

people who come to see psychological abberations as being created by various institutions in society tend to gravitate away from psychology since the locust of various problems are not found within individuals. they go towards political science or various counter culture groups offering solutions to societal problems. such people seem to remain outside of the purview of mainstream psychology.

thats why people who study education DONT hear much about John Holt or Dan Greemberg."

Changing one's attitude can be useful for short term sanity, but is not a realistic way of dealing with institutions that are inherently problematic.
Most of the more school-positive comments would make more sense if schools were non compulsory and it was not expected for us to do things exactly the way teachers dictate. Then, people interested in those subjects and who personally enjoy more structure could attend. I've heard of unschoolers who chose to go to school(I don't know how long they stayed though).

RE: Short animation about how school drains us. - the Analogist - 06-22-2017 12:36 PM

Quote:I go to high school and it really comes down to your attitude towards it. Even though stuff can be unnecessary we have to just deal with it.That's life, like I said, life is unfair. Just try to enjoy high school while you still can because once you're out of it, life only gets harder.

I like to point out to these people that "Life is unfair" does not justify unfair decisions. You don't always get what you want, therefore you don't get X. I believe that is called a non-sequitur.

Also, whoever said life was unfair? so unfair that we commit heresy by being fair?... this strange dogma sounds like sullen resentment, internalized, and turned into a religion.

"life only gets harder"
Uhh, my life is pretty fantastic right now, even when I worked at walmart the only problem was being able to afford car repairs... sounds like somebody who came to resent life if you ask me.

RE: Short animation about how school drains us. - the Analogist - 06-22-2017 06:42 PM

my hatred of school is mostly retrospective. I had lots of cool hobbies, but not very much time to spend on them. arriving in adulthood with no marketable skills has left me hating how little time i had to work on my hobbies.

Short animation about how school drains us. - DreamRebel - 06-27-2017 08:27 AM

I was kind of expecting it to be different in execution, but the meaning rings clear.
Now that I've graduated, I feel like my measly grade-point average is going to be my downfall I've been judged by the worst years of my life, the year when I realized my family's idea of helping me was tormenting me, the year when I could no longer stand my dreadful tutor, the year I was involuntarily committed to a mental hospital. The years I cried more than doing anything else, the years I was pushed past the edge of my principles. I get no real Do-over.

Short animation about how school drains us. - James Comey - 06-27-2017 11:10 AM

You actually posted an actually informative post.

Congrats. Thumbsup