School Survival Forums
Hansgrohe Shits on Special Education AGAIN - Printable Version

+- School Survival Forums (http://forums.school-survival.net)
+-- Forum: Learning, Youth Rights and School Survival (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: School Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Hansgrohe Shits on Special Education AGAIN (/showthread.php?tid=37220)

Hansgrohe Shits on Special Education AGAIN - James Comey - 04-07-2017 04:16 AM

God I remember doing this shit all the time when I was in special ed. Looking back it's an even bigger crock of shit than I realized.

First off, part of the shit they tried to put me through was that I would be like the "normal kids" (aka extroverts) even though relatively speaking, I was actually pretty normal. But no, being given the right to be normal was not enough. They had to fucking boss and patronize me like I was a fucking goat.

The biggest waste of fucking time was speech class. Oh god, speech class. Let me describe the hell that it is.

First off, I remember the room for speech was so fucking tiny. This is an issue because I'm slightly claustrophobic (accommodating my fucking HAIRY ASS), so it was always uncomfortable. Honestly, I don't even fucking remember what we learned, because it was fucking boring. In theory it was to help my speech, which was admittedly not great, but for god's sake they treated me like I had the fucking hold of the English language like I was only 4 fucking years old, or I was from a foreign country.

Worst, I think it actually made things worse. See, being patronized and looked upon as inferior for no good reason was damaging to my already pissed on self esteem (which I described in some of my other posts). So, basically, it fucking held me back. It's even more fucking laughable because I've learned all the fucking shit they were trying to teach me through the fucking power of the Internet. You know why?

Because on the Internet, there's shit that doesn't patronize me. I was actually encouraged to think that I can fucking do things by myself, and I am fucking awesome, because I exist and I can do amazing things if I put the FUCKING EFFORT. I feel my life has had much more success recently.

Tutorial classes weren't bad though. The teacher there was actually very respectable and treated everyone like a fucking human being and wouldn't dumb things down for us. Much respect for a sane legit teacher in an awful system.

Hansgrohe Shits on Special Education AGAIN - SoulRiser - 04-08-2017 05:37 AM

Your post makes me thankful that psychologists/teachers in South Africa hadn't heard of Asperger's syndrome back in the 80's and 90's... this could have been me.

All that patronizing stuff would probably have been more harmful than what I got... "oh, she's smart, but really shy and quiet and weird".

School systems very rarely actually get things right.

Hansgrohe Shits on Special Education AGAIN - James Comey - 04-08-2017 05:45 AM

There's a special hell with both awareness and unawareness.

Imagine being autistic in the 50s; holy shit that must've been terrible, because no resources would be available to deal with it.

But being vaguely "special" is another hell... one I'm glad I escaped.

Hansgrohe Shits on Special Education AGAIN - Dead - 04-08-2017 11:28 AM

Not that it's comparable to the shit you had to endure, but when I was in 1st grade or something I was forced into taking a special speech/writing class. There wasn't anything wrong with my speech or my writing. When I asked them why I was in it, they told me that it was because I wrote cursive lowercase As instead of printing them.

Hansgrohe Shits on Special Education AGAIN - James Comey - 04-08-2017 11:34 AM

What the actual fuck.

Lol people say the way I write is weird.