School Survival Forums
Emailing Teachers Personally - Printable Version

+- School Survival Forums (http://forums.school-survival.net)
+-- Forum: Learning, Youth Rights and School Survival (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: School Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Emailing Teachers Personally (/showthread.php?tid=36997)

Emailing Teachers Personally - Lady A - 02-07-2017 06:13 AM

I was given a teacher's personal email when I left middleschool--and I've now found it again. This teacher honestly the best teacher I've ever had, offering tutoring, making class fun, allowing kids to express their feelings about class, and always helping. She once noticed I was doing bad one day, when one of my best friends was close to commiting suicide, and she legitmately cared.

So I thought, why not email her?

I talked it over with my friends before realizing--I'm still in school as a Freshman. Student/teacher private correspondances aren't allowed by the district, even if you're physically in different schools. Following a teacher's social media is not allowed, so privately emailing a teacher would be even worse.

Does anyone have a way to email a teacher for other reasons than school without having the district flip? Mind you, it's a completely innocent email, but it won't go over well with the district.

Emailing Teachers Personally - Avatar Korra - 02-07-2017 06:20 AM

How would the district know about it? Couldn't it just be a secret between both of you?

Emailing Teachers Personally - Geicosuave - 02-07-2017 09:25 AM

I don't know if it's legal to ban following a teacher's social media or anything. I mean, they wouldn't be able to enforce it anyway.

Emailing Teachers Personally - vonunov - 02-07-2017 10:48 AM

I mean, that kind of thing can happen. I was in this temporary youth shelter this one time and I looked up this staffer I'd liked a lot, and she said they were restricted from having contact with us for a year after we'd left. Though if it's personal email I don't see what anyone can do about it. Just don't contact her at work. I would just try it, she might decide she wants to stick to policy/principle on it but that ball's in her court.

Emailing Teachers Personally - Lady A - 02-08-2017 08:10 AM

Thanks for the replies, guys! I think I'm going to email her soon, and hopefully it'll all end well and nobody gets upset. Thanks though!

RE: Emailing Teachers Personally - TheCancer - 02-08-2017 11:32 PM

If you're in high school you may have a district email account that you're unaware of. If you contact your former teacher through her work email from your official student email that should be considered an appropriate mode of communication. Keep in mind that neither of those email addresses are in anyway private. In fact, they are by law open to the public.

I'm assuming you're in America, btw.

Emailing Teachers Personally - xcriteria - 02-12-2017 01:08 PM

One option, if you want, would be to write a public post of some sort (perhaps not mentioning the teacher by name) and ask someone else to send a link and explanation. Regardless, I would agree with TheCancer and figure that whatever you write, especially to a district email account, could be viewed by administrators.

My own view is that people should be free to communicate with each other. The idea that following a teacher's public social media would be disallowed makes me question the policy -- that may not be legal for the district to enforce and it's definitely not how things should be. In practice, I'm not sure what would happen; do you have a link or quote of the district policy?

RE: Emailing Teachers Personally - TheCancer - 02-12-2017 02:00 PM

They will fire the teacher. Seen it happen.

RE: Emailing Teachers Personally - xcriteria - 02-14-2017 12:05 PM

(02-12-2017 02:00 PM)TheCancer Wrote:  They will fire the teacher. Seen it happen.

Even if someone writes a public post about the teacher (perhaps using initials or some other way to anonymize the teacher) and a third party who is not in school shares it with the teacher?

RE: Emailing Teachers Personally - TheCancer - 02-14-2017 12:20 PM

No.

I'm talking about texting and emailing and pming on Facebook and stuff.