School Survival Forums
Hi! I'm new here. :) - Printable Version

+- School Survival Forums (http://forums.school-survival.net)
+-- Forum: Sticky (/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Forum: Welcome! (/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Hi! I'm new here. :) (/showthread.php?tid=34650)

Hi! I'm new here. :) - c00ldud3 - 11-07-2014 02:32 AM

Like the title says, I am new here. For my introduction, lemme copy and paste some stuff I wrote for the Survey.

About Me:

My name is Ryan, I live in Maryland in the USA. I am 15 (turning 16 in a month.) and I am in 10th grade. I made this account to address what I think about the educational system, and the problems with it. Let me tell you my interests:

I like to do mainly anything where I can show my artistic skills to others. These include:

Music (starting to learn how to use FL Studio) and Photography are my main interests; I also like writing as well.. that's when I know what I'm going to write and it's my own idea; not when it's being shoved down my throat to do an essay, like, wtf? I'm not a machine. There are times where I want to write on something I'm learning in school, but I can tell you that doesn't happen a lot. I am also becoming interested into psychology and perhaps counseling. I absolutely love feeling like I've lifted one another's spirit with my work; whether it's my music, photography, or my writing. I love making an impact on people in a positive way. That is one of the best feelings in the world to me. It really makes you feel good when you have the power to do that.

Okay, now to tell my thoughts about school and how I think it should be (I typed this out of scratch so it's not perfect and there are some things that aren't addressed)

What I hate about school and what I think it should be like:

I hate being forced to "learn" only to later be graded on your performance. In other words, I believe that school is no longer about learning, but the grades you get. Grades have ruined my learning experience. It's horrible. School should be a happy place where you should learn what you want. It should be directed towards your own interests. If you want to learn about math, you should be able to learn about math with no problems and worries about grades whatsoever; there would be people to help you if you need it and you would be free to learn. Sure, grades should exist, but they should show progress, not make you feel stupid when you get a lower grade than you want. It really puts unnecessary stress, depression and anxiety on students like me. It's terrible and something needs to be done. I get punished for bad grades. Grades mean more than they should and do NOT reflect learning. Homework shouldn't exist, and if you're going to have tests, at least use It to help everyone get caught up. Grade on progress by effort and completion, not accuracy. This should only go into effect until you get mastery of basics. (based on the scale I just showed, basics meaning things needed for real everyday life, not things only needed for specific jobs. ) Classes after that should be based on personal intrests. Also, one size DOES NOT fit all, students should fill out sheets explaining how they want to learn and the schools should put them in classes that best fits their requests.

The biggest problems in my life are:

Not getting good grades. Arguments with parents (sometimes very horrible and explosive); mainly about grades. Struggling to get socially involved after school (huge problem which I am trying to fix asap, I get depressed when I hear about people hanging out with other people because I want to do that more.) My physical shape is another thing I want to fix.
Worrying about my future and feeling absolutely useless hopeless.

I also want to tell you something out of all honesty:
I learn more things out of school than I do in. I can follow my interests outside of school., and when I learn outside of school I don't have to worry about getting pointless assignments out of school.

I also joined this website to help me gain more knowledge about what is wrong with schools and what should be fixed.

I am glad to join this website and I am glad something like this exists. Thanks!

RE: Hi! I'm new here. :) - Username - 11-07-2014 06:20 AM

BAN 'IM, 'TIS A MUDBLOOD DOOLIX!
TRUST NO1

Hi! I'm new here. :) - c00ldud3 - 11-07-2014 07:09 AM

is this dude high af or something? ^^^

LOL.

RE: Hi! I'm new here. :) - brainiac3397 - 11-07-2014 07:16 AM

Probably drunk. Often is.

Might even be Irish.

Welcome! Im the SS maniac, cause it rhymes with brainiac. If you've ever played Obliviom, you may call me sheogorath. If not, you may call me sheogorath. Otherwise, its brainiac.

RE: Hi! I'm new here. :) - Sharpie - 11-07-2014 07:37 AM

Hi. You should stop by the irc sometime, you seem cool.

RE: Hi! I'm new here. :) - isolatedsystem - 11-07-2014 08:16 AM

Hi welcome ! Smile

RE: Hi! I'm new here. :) - Missile - 11-07-2014 09:32 AM

Want to ride in my T-72 with me?

RE: Hi! I'm new here. :) - brainiac3397 - 11-07-2014 10:14 AM

Ew. T-90 ftw.

RE: Hi! I'm new here. :) - Missile - 11-07-2014 11:22 AM

I need to find a cool looking T-90 avatar (I might use the "flying T-90" avatar)

RE: Hi! I'm new here. :) - c00ldud3 - 11-07-2014 10:41 PM

Hmm. I'll try to get on the chat sometime.

@the last 3 posts

Well hell I guess I'm riding in both because I don't know shit about tanks, I had to Google to have an idea on what the hell you were talking about. xD

RE: Hi! I'm new here. :) - Missile - 11-08-2014 08:28 AM

T-90s are better

Hi! I'm new here. :) - c00ldud3 - 11-08-2014 08:31 AM

k.

RE: Hi! I'm new here. :) - Username - 11-09-2014 08:26 AM

kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk.
At least spell two letter words correctly, jeez.

RE: Hi! I'm new here. :) - xcriteria - 11-09-2014 08:35 AM

Hi, welcome to the forums! Nice intro post, btw, the detail helps. I'll reply when I'm not on a phone... I wonder, though, are grades necessary at all?

What do they even mean? Smile

Hi! I'm new here. :) - c00ldud3 - 11-09-2014 09:40 AM

sure, they should exist, but they shouldn't have even close to the amount of importance they do today.
they shouldn't matter at all.
it's really hard to explain how i want grading to be like
maybe they shouldn't exist

Hi! I'm new here. :) - Alistoriv - 11-09-2014 09:41 AM

are you actually a cool dude or are you deceiving all of us

RE: Hi! I'm new here. :) - c00ldud3 - 11-09-2014 09:58 AM

(11-09-2014 09:41 AM)Alistoriv Wrote:  are you actually a cool dude or are you deceiving all of us

haters gonna hate

RE: Hi! I'm new here. :) - brainiac3397 - 11-09-2014 11:03 AM

Decepticons unite hur! BEN HUR! HURRAH! HOOZAH! HURRAY!

RE: Hi! I'm new here. :) - Username - 11-09-2014 10:09 PM

(11-09-2014 09:58 AM)c00ldud3 Wrote:  
(11-09-2014 09:41 AM)Alistoriv Wrote:  are you actually a cool dude or are you deceiving all of us

haters gonna hate

oooooooooooooooh the maymays

Hi! I'm new here. :) - SoulRiser - 11-11-2014 04:22 AM

Hello and welcome Smile

We have a few of the same interests it seems... I also like making music, photography, psychology and inspiring people. Smile

I used to like writing, but I think I've done too much of it... seems like too much work to me now.

Hi! I'm new here. :) - c00ldud3 - 11-12-2014 06:12 AM

That's really cool! :3
It's really great meeting someone who likes the same things as you Smile

RE: Hi! I'm new here. :) - brainiac3397 - 11-12-2014 02:05 PM

No. No it isn't. God only knows how much time Ive spent discussing things with like-minded people!

RE: Hi! I'm new here. :) - stevehein - 01-16-2015 10:42 AM

some of my writing about so called good grades

and about psychology students

http://www.eqi.org/goodgrades.htm

http://www.eqi.org/psychstud.htm

Hi! I'm new here. :) - SoulRiser - 01-21-2015 07:51 AM

Quote:http://www.eqi.org/psychstud.htm
Sometimes I think it might be good if I got myself some kind of psychology degree... just so I can shove it in the faces of stupid people who care about that sort of thing and nothing else.

But that would be kind of expensive and unnecessary, I suppose... though it might be interesting to know what kind of stuff is in those courses. Not sure if I could stomach a university-type scenario again either though...