School Survival Forums
Statutory Laws - Printable Version

+- School Survival Forums (http://forums.school-survival.net)
+-- Forum: The Lounge (/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Forum: General Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+---- Forum: Philosophy, Politics & History (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+---- Thread: Statutory Laws (/showthread.php?tid=33967)

Statutory Laws - ..V.. - 07-20-2014 09:02 AM

What are your views on the statutory laws?

http://www.zoklet.net/totse/community/archive/index.php/t-2159000.html

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/9340/statutory-rape-laws-stupid-or-needed

http://skepchick.org/2013/01/cross-post-in-defence-of-statutory-rape/

http://www.cnn.com/2004/LAW/02/13/findlaw.analysis.colb.statutory.rape/index.html

http://www.sexlaws.org/what_is_statutory_rape1

Statutory Laws - James Comey - 07-20-2014 10:53 AM

Huh, I actually had a dream last night about statutory laws.

Personally, I think they're total BS. I don't see why the gov't needs to intervene in a consensual relationship because of age.

Statutory Laws - brainiac3397 - 07-20-2014 01:14 PM

I find them silly.

RE: Statutory Laws - True Strasserist - 07-23-2014 08:17 AM

Statutory rape is rarely ever actual rape.

Statutory Laws - School - 07-23-2014 11:47 PM

Statutory rape laws take consensual interactions and legally classify them as rape and have helped to create a culture where consent is rape anyway because some people don't like it.

Basically they are complete and utter bullshit and an affront to youth rights and freedom.

In that forum on Penny Arcade you will read some of the idiotic defenses of statutory rape charges against people they deem "too old".

One guy said a 17 year old consensually fucking a 16 year old is okay but if the 17 year old is 25 then he/she should go to jail. For a little anecdote at 17 I was much more disrespectful about girls and sex because I was raised with the conservative viewpoints. Now, in my late 20s I would be a much much better lover for a consenting 16 year old. I understand the nuances better and the importance of mutual benefit and pleasure and I also know how much more exciting and fun sexual contact is when both parties are into it and having fun.

This is ignoring that the poster doesn't seem to realize 16 is legal in many US states and most of the world in general. So he is advocating making illegal something that is legal.

Another issue is this literally insults victims of actual rape.

EDIT: To add, saying "well they can't consent because they are incapable of consenting so it actually is rape" is one of the most idiotic arguments I have ever read in my entire life and anyone who uses it is employing some serious cognitive distortions and rationalizations to support a moral view they have that has no place in law.

RE: Statutory Laws - Superkamiguru - 01-17-2017 03:31 AM

(07-23-2014 08:17 AM)True Strasserist Wrote:  Statutory rape is rarely ever actual rape.

RE: Statutory Laws - Superkamiguru - 01-22-2017 12:56 PM

(07-23-2014 11:47 PM)School Wrote:  Statutory rape laws take consensual interactions and legally classify them as rape and have helped to create a culture where consent is rape anyway because some people don't like it.

Basically they are complete and utter bullshit and an affront to youth rights and freedom.

In that forum on Penny Arcade you will read some of the idiotic defenses of statutory rape charges against people they deem "too old".

One guy said a 17 year old consensually fucking a 16 year old is okay but if the 17 year old is 25 then he/she should go to jail. For a little anecdote at 17 I was much more disrespectful about girls and sex because I was raised with the conservative viewpoints. Now, in my late 20s I would be a much much better lover for a consenting 16 year old. I understand the nuances better and the importance of mutual benefit and pleasure and I also know how much more exciting and fun sexual contact is when both parties are into it and having fun.

This is ignoring that the poster doesn't seem to realize 16 is legal in many US states and most of the world in general. So he is advocating making illegal something that is legal.

Another issue is this literally insults victims of actual rape.

EDIT: To add, saying "well they can't consent because they are incapable of consenting so it actually is rape" is one of the most idiotic arguments I have ever read in my entire life and anyone who uses it is employing some serious cognitive distortions and rationalizations to support a moral view they have that has no place in law.
This.

RE: Statutory Laws - thewake - 01-23-2017 11:25 AM

What if a 13 year old fucks his hot 20/30-something-year-old teacher?

Statutory Laws - Avatar Korra - 03-11-2017 01:26 AM

Sorry for the bump, but Holy Shit I hate these laws so much. I want to freaking cry every time an adult goes to jail for consensually being with someone under 18. Who the fucking hell do the people making these laws think they are to decide when an individual person is mentally and physically ready to do these things?

Also, how the fuck is it completely normal and okay for 2 minors to have sex, but if one of them is an adult it is rape? So, it's only consent if it is between people of the similar age? Confused

Most people I hear arguing for these laws make it sound like we are living in Codename: Kids Next Door and all adults are evil. Well, actually they describe it more like adults can be awesome people who we can befriend and have fun with, but they somehow turn into pure evil manipulative bastards who are "taking advantage" of poor innocent young people the second they fuck. What the hell..

They also ALWAYS say shit like, "But people under 18 are underdeveloped, and not mature enough to have sex."
Those people are negatively generalizing whole age groups here. All I see in that statement is an attempt make, "I think young people are idiots who lack rational thought," sound scientific.

RE: Statutory Laws - the Analogist - 03-11-2017 01:58 AM

so my wife was 17 when we married. I used to imagine the exotic scenario of "oh, no no no officer, I got the forms right here!"

Statutory Laws - Avatar Korra - 03-19-2017 02:40 PM

bump

Statutory Laws - James Comey - 03-19-2017 03:21 PM

Hah, such an old thread.

My position still stands. Statutory/age of consent laws are steaming piles of shit. "Statutory rape" is rarely actual rape. Not to mention these laws seem to cause more media shitstorms than serve an actual purpose.

I've always leaned towards "free love", though definitely to a limit. Shit like NAMBLA is fucking weird. Plus I don't want pedos everywhere, though to be honest I'm legitimately curious as to whether statutory/age of consent laws have an actual effect, kinda like drug laws.

Statutory Laws - Avatar Korra - 03-20-2017 03:32 AM

I read something about how people are more interested in doing things once they are made illegal. I think it was http://www.sophiagubb.com/obligation-vs-responsibility/.
Most people wouldn't want to risk it since the penalty is decades (I think) in prison. Though, others know it doesn't matter as long as you aren't caught. When I was on the Whisper app I mentioned that was 16 and I found adults attractive and I got immediately these messages:
"Nothing is illegal if you don't get caught"
"I bet you'd taste amazing."
"I love you."
"I'd fuck you anyway."
"How old do you like?"
"I love teens! How old are you?"

I doubt those people care. xD

Statutory Laws - James Comey - 03-20-2017 05:00 AM

Lol those be some shady people on there. The internet is a magical place.

Statutory Laws - Avatar Korra - 03-29-2017 11:38 AM

I wonder if the guy from To Catch A Predator would ever Whisper for the show.

(I fucking hate that show)

Statutory Laws - James Comey - 03-29-2017 02:28 PM

Didn't that dude get arrested for underage dating or something?

Statutory Laws - brainiac3397 - 03-30-2017 01:04 PM

To update to my comment of me finding it silly, there are legitimate concerns when it involves the abuse of authority or risk thereof.

Statutory Laws - James Comey - 03-30-2017 01:09 PM

Yeah. Imagine all the teachers pimping out there.

RE: Statutory Laws - the Analogist - 04-01-2017 10:03 AM

when cultural prejudice by rule respects certain groups, some very odd people will be attracted.

a firefighter who went to my high school got put in prison for doing things with a baby....

Statutory Laws - James Comey - 04-01-2017 11:28 AM

What the hell...

context?

RE: Statutory Laws - the Analogist - 04-01-2017 01:21 PM

"oh wow he's a firefighter! you guys are so great by definition, i now love and respect you. you used to be so weird..."

Statutory Laws - James Comey - 04-01-2017 02:24 PM

Oh. That kind of guy.

RE: Statutory Laws - the Analogist - 04-01-2017 02:28 PM

such types would be attracted to various careers