School Survival Forums
Walking across the country idea (usa) - Printable Version

+- School Survival Forums (http://forums.school-survival.net)
+-- Forum: Learning, Youth Rights and School Survival (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Alternative Learning & Income (/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: Walking across the country idea (usa) (/showthread.php?tid=32849)

Walking across the country idea (usa) - scorchededge243 - 05-03-2014 01:31 PM

So here's a crazy idea! Me, walking from Arkansaw (say this with a Southern accent) to Minnesota. I'm so enlightened at the idea of meeting new people (good and bad) becoming one with nature (even in the city), and surviving in the woods or whatever (I'd stay at hotels sometimes believe me). I'm reading about the people who have done it like Nate Damm. And I have plenty of family members who do camping (real camping guys) so I can learn from them, and post stupid Youtube videos about my trip or something like that Razz if anyone cares. I thought it would be an interesting after high school thing this year Scratchchin

Oh, and I'm not very athletic (fat guy) but I can start running a couple of miles a day to get prepared for something like this. I know my parents would be SOOOO against this so I'm excited to turn 18 on June 26th Biggrin maybe I'll sneak out in the middle of the night hehe FuBanana

Walking across the country idea (usa) - Trar - 05-03-2014 01:43 PM

You will need lots of preparation. Lots of it. This includes money, training, and permission from family if you're going to try this before you turn 18.

I'd imagine if you're planning to camp in the woods you're going to need to carry around equipment for that as well.

This is a very interesting idea, though. Something I might want to do eventually. Good luck if you do decide to do it.

RE: Walking across the country idea (usa) - Night - 05-03-2014 01:58 PM

Be careful of police.

Walking across the country idea (usa) - brainiac3397 - 05-03-2014 02:25 PM

Always be aware, don't carry crap ton cash(but do carry some), Pack only stuff you really need(prepare to be stuck hand washing your stuff in a sink or something). Map. MAP. MMMAAAPPPP.

When walking on highway, FFS walk on the side where the cars are coming TOWARDS YOU FROM YOUR FRONT. So as you walk forward, cars come towards you then pass you. DO NOT WALK WITH YOUR BACK TO THE FLOW OF TRAFFIC!

Walking on some highways are illegal, depending on state,county,city laws, but as far as I can tell, police generally just stop you, ask you some questions, then give you a ride off the highway. Explaining politely your quest to walk from A to B for some hippy crap will suffice. Same explanation will work if you want some bonus points in disposition of folk you meet(they may be happy to help. You may even find housing and free meals this way).

Check hitch-hiking laws for the areas you'll be traveling along. Some areas is legal, some areas is not.

While fitness is not ultimately important in doing this, you might be better off if you're able to walk a few miles with whatever you're carrying. The more exhausting it is for you, the longer and more painful this adventure shall be.

Carry your own canteen, and bring a sleeping bag. You will most likely need them.

FIRST AID KIT! Get one and learn to use it. Some come with guides with instructions on how to give treatment. Don't have to memorize, but glancing over it and getting some info will help, especially if you've got a giant splinter in your thumb.

Allergies?

Hat?(depending on weather)

Get durable clothing, cause you won't be wearing much in variety and whatever you are wearing may go through hell.

Truckers are not ebul. They're actually pretty cool. Like bikers but in giant trucks. And truck stops are freaking awesome, many coming with showers and laundry(pay for, but not very expensive).

Toilet paper. Wet wipes. Hand sanitizer. You will need.
(It'll beat accidentally wiping your ass with poison ivy)

Walking across the country idea (usa) - Ky - 05-03-2014 11:12 PM

If you head along the northbound highways nearest the Mississippi, you might just run into me. Prepare well!

Walking across the country idea (usa) - SoulRiser - 05-04-2014 03:54 AM

Are you gonna set up a website for this journey and get some followers? Could be fun, and also possibly helpful.

Walking across the country idea (usa) - brainiac3397 - 05-04-2014 05:23 AM

I want to do such a thing one day. With an army following me...but that's for sometime in the future Biggrin

You will certainly have some stories to tell if you go ahead with this.

Walking across the country idea (usa) - 1312 - 05-04-2014 08:06 PM

That's a good idea. Smile

RE: Walking across the country idea (usa) - scorchededge243 - 05-05-2014 04:57 AM

Hey thanks Brainiac!

(05-04-2014 03:54 AM)SoulRiser Wrote:  Are you gonna set up a website for this journey and get some followers? Could be fun, and also possibly helpful.

I was thinking of doing that yes.

(05-04-2014 08:06 PM)LedoS Wrote:  That's a good idea. Smile

Well thank you! Hug
Now if I can ignore the law of diminishing intent I might just actually do it lol

RE: Walking across the country idea (usa) - ThorodonSorrow - 05-05-2014 08:00 AM

(05-03-2014 01:31 PM)scorchededge243 Wrote:  So here's a crazy idea! Me, walking from Arkansaw (say this with a Southern accent) to Minnesota. I'm so enlightened at the idea of meeting new people (good and bad) becoming one with nature (even in the city), and surviving in the woods or whatever (I'd stay at hotels sometimes believe me). I'm reading about the people who have done it like Nate Damm. And I have plenty of family members who do camping (real camping guys) so I can learn from them, and post stupid Youtube videos about my trip or something like that Razz if anyone cares. I thought it would be an interesting after high school thing this year Scratchchin

Oh, and I'm not very athletic (fat guy) but I can start running a couple of miles a day to get prepared for something like this. I know my parents would be SOOOO against this so I'm excited to turn 18 on June 26th Biggrin maybe I'll sneak out in the middle of the night hehe FuBanana

You'll need, as said before, much preparation, money, and good physique. This is a great idea, however.
Hopefully I can shed some light upon a few ideas to help.

You should probably wait about a year after highschool, if you don't plan on going to college right away. This is so you can get a job and save your money for the trip. In my opinion, you'll need to buy a solar powered phone charger of some sort, just so you can have a backup plan for emergencies. Take a first aid class or two, so you know how to fix any wounds that you might (you will.) receive from the wilderness.
You said that you have family members that are campers, well you might want to spend a few weeks camping and learning how to catch and cook your own food. This is also partially where money comes in. If you're travelling the city, catching your own food is not an option unless you plan on feasting on rats. You'll need to buy your own food while you're in the city.
Since you'll stay in motels, you probably won't need to take a class on survival, but it's never a bad thing to do. If ever the need rises that you'll have to sleep outside, in the forest and whatnot, you should be prepared to make your own fire and protect yourself from disease, animals, bugs, infections, etc.

Hope this helps!

RE: Walking across the country idea (usa) - xcriteria - 05-05-2014 12:51 PM

Interesting. With the right equipment, it'd be possible to use Google Hangouts-on-Air to stream updates from your trip. It could even be do as part of an overall reality/documentary series about those who question school (something I'm work on putting together.)

Do you have money saved up, and/or a plan to earn money before you'd do this?

Also... any particular reason for Minnesota as your destination?

(I have lots more questions, but I'll leave it at that for now. Biggrin)

Walking across the country idea (usa) - James Comey - 05-05-2014 03:30 PM

Yeah, I think this could be done if you plan everything well.

That'd be awesome. A School Survival walk across the nation!

Walking across the country idea (usa) - Trar - 05-06-2014 02:31 PM

If you do go to any big cities, go for the local fare and the small business establishments if you can afford them.

RE: Walking across the country idea (usa) - TheCancer - 05-10-2014 07:35 PM

Check out the Triple Crown of Hiking.

RE: Walking across the country idea (usa) - scorchededge243 - 05-11-2014 06:17 PM

(05-10-2014 07:35 PM)TheCancer Wrote:  Check out the Triple Crown of Hiking.

Thanks! I didn't know about that. I choose the "Pacific Crest Trail" Smile

RE: Walking across the country idea (usa) - scorchededge243 - 05-11-2014 06:24 PM

(05-05-2014 12:51 PM)xcriteria Wrote:  Interesting. With the right equipment, it'd be possible to use Google Hangouts-on-Air to stream updates from your trip. It could even be do as part of an overall reality/documentary series about those who question school (something I'm work on putting together.)

Do you have money saved up, and/or a plan to earn money before you'd do this?

Also... any particular reason for Minnesota as your destination?

(I have lots more questions, but I'll leave it at that for now. Biggrin)

Yeah I don't have any money (yet) so that's annoying, but doable. I've been reading about people who have barely used any or no money at all! Also, I want to get a smartphone (mainly because I've never had one) and like record the surrounding area, maybe some people, myself talking about stuff. Still thinking about it.

And I should have said Washington state. Minnesota I've just always wanted to see the snow there, but Seattle WA sounds like my kinda state.

Walking across the country idea (usa) - Zo - 05-12-2014 10:28 AM

This is a really cool idea. I would definitely watch a web series about it.