School Survival Forums
Student Council, the Great Popularity Stunt - Printable Version

+- School Survival Forums (http://forums.school-survival.net)
+-- Forum: Learning, Youth Rights and School Survival (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: School Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Student Council, the Great Popularity Stunt (/showthread.php?tid=32226)

Student Council, the Great Popularity Stunt - SeReNiTY - 03-23-2014 01:48 PM

I have been contemplating running for student council for a while now and in two school years will run. However, it is unlikely I will win the election, let alone be nominated. Why so? Because I am not a popular person due to my political insistence, but this SHOULD make me a good candidate. Quite the contrary. All the sporty, preppy, rich, and popular will run. This will subsequently leave me in the dust. Because noone cares about freedom or policy, for they only vote for the more popular person. Instead of my campaign promise being one of kickstarting a year or some other bribe, it is rather a policy of introdicing democracy and freedom to such a place.

But that wont stop me from running. Can I win with policy over popularity or bribe?

Student Council, the Great Popularity Stunt - Username - 03-23-2014 02:04 PM

I never paid any attention to student council but i also never noticed "sporty, preppy, rich, and popular" people running for it, they didn't give a shit about student council. It was mostly the straight-A students that kept to themselves, at least at the school I went to.

Only way to find out is to give it a try and see what happens, it's not like you have anything to lose.

Student Council, the Great Popularity Stunt - James Comey - 03-23-2014 02:50 PM

Student council is pretty much purely figurehead anyway.

RE: Student Council, the Great Popularity Stunt - brainiac3397 - 03-24-2014 02:23 AM

Student council has much power as the king/queen of britain. But dont forget to remove the strong social influence, and you've got a student council. Its just distractions for students. Gladiator battles would probably be more useful.

Student Council, the Great Popularity Stunt - Trar - 03-26-2014 10:25 AM

I never paid much attention to the Student Council, but I did notice it in the sixth grade. They were apparently responsible for the placement of a microwave in the cafeteria, so that students could heat up lunch they brought with them if they so desired. The sort of stuff you'd see from a small Soviet town soviet (the Russian word for citizen's council).

Does anyone know anything about 'class presidents'? I think a run for class president, or even better 'school president' would give you a bigger audience. Student council will work though. You might not have all that much power when in office, but you can use your run to speak out even if you lose. You should study up on campaign tactics used by successful US Presidents and learn how to publicly orate. If you package yourself right, and if you can strike at any issues they care about while also thundering about democracy and rights, you could actually have a chance.

I have a feeling the school administration will try and oppose you. Research how Cambodia and Turkey are even as we type cracking down on their citizenry. Research the methods they use or may use to silence you, and speak out louder. Write to your local newspaper. Make noise, but not just incoherent screaming. Scream with a purpose.

And if you do win, you could try and challenge the administration in certain areas. They say getting elected is the easy part. If all else fails, try publishing an underground magazine.

RE: Student Council, the Great Popularity Stunt - The man - 05-13-2017 10:12 AM

(03-23-2014 02:50 PM)Hansgrohe Wrote:  Student council is pretty much purely figurehead anyway.

Student Council, the Great Popularity Stunt - James Comey - 05-14-2017 06:18 AM

Looking back I wish I did it and became Scarface of the school