School Survival Forums
The Ten Signs You Need to Find a Different Kind of Education for Your Child - Printable Version

+- School Survival Forums (http://forums.school-survival.net)
+-- Forum: Learning, Youth Rights and School Survival (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Alternative Learning & Income (/forumdisplay.php?fid=8)
+--- Thread: The Ten Signs You Need to Find a Different Kind of Education for Your Child (/showthread.php?tid=31775)

The Ten Signs You Need to Find a Different Kind of Education for Your Child - xcriteria - 03-04-2014 05:41 AM

Here's an article to show your parents:

The Ten Signs You Need to Find a Different Kind of Education for Your Child

Thoughts?

The Ten Signs You Need to Find a Different Kind of Education for Your Child - James Comey - 03-04-2014 11:21 AM

This is a pretty good article. Me likey.

RE: The Ten Signs You Need to Find a Different Kind of Education for Your Child - Cianna200 - 03-04-2014 11:31 AM

Good indications, If I had kids, they would not go to school, unless I had to send them to avoid attracting police Smile

The Ten Signs You Need to Find a Different Kind of Education for Your Child - Trekkie_Aspie - 05-25-2014 02:12 PM

11) If your child HAS been diagnosed with something and it's not a simple behavior control, the school's response SHOULD NOT be to expect the kid to miraculously be 'normal'.

I'm looking at my old middle school here....yes, I'm bitter.

The Ten Signs You Need to Find a Different Kind of Education for Your Child - craxyguy562 - 01-25-2015 05:19 AM

I agree with the article. Smile How can I switch to a different education?

The Ten Signs You Need to Find a Different Kind of Education for Your Child - xcriteria - 01-26-2015 03:08 AM

crazyguy562 Wrote:I agree with the article. Smile How can I switch to a different education?

In short, you need something your parents will agree to. The options are: (1) find a school or program you can attend in-person, or (2) find something that's mostly online.

Some states, like California and Michigan, now provide free "virtual high school." With this, you get to stay at home, but you still have the usual classes, assignments, and grades like regular school. That might give you more time to learn things you're interested in, and you might talk to your parents about it.

Here's a TV ad from K12, one of the main companies behind virtual high school programs:

Is Your Child Happy in School? Intro to K12 Online Schools

@Subb (SubCulture) is doing something like this. It might be worth showing your parents that video and seeing if they'd be open to virtual school.

But, there's another way of doing things that's totally based on interests, what matters to you, and pursing your goals.

These pages show how it works in-person. Usually you go to these programs a few days a week, but attendance is optional. A lot of their participants end up going to college, but they help people figure out what they want to do with their lives, either way.

This one, North Star is in Massachusetts:

Is North Star right for you?

This talk from one of their founders might be worth showing your parents...

Watch on YouTube

And they are showing others how to set up similar programs -- here's a map of them, mostly in the planning stages. You might even be able to find others in your area who would like to start a new learning space.

This program based on that model, Open Road, is in Oregon:

Open Road - Message to Teens
Open Road - Message to Parents

But, another option is to do the same thing online. Basically, homeschool, but work with advisors on how to make the most of your time, pursue your interests, and learn things that matter for life. Some of us are putting together a program like that... maybe you'd be interested.

What do you think?