School Survival Forums
Problem with school movies - Printable Version

+- School Survival Forums (http://forums.school-survival.net)
+-- Forum: Learning, Youth Rights and School Survival (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: School Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Problem with school movies (/showthread.php?tid=31552)

Problem with school movies - craxyguy562 - 02-16-2014 02:59 PM

The problem with school movies is that they only show the point of view of kids from a certain group. The star of a kid movie is rarely: sporty, loner, goth, emo or preppy or any other type. Why do they do this? Not that I support stereotypes but why does the star of a school just about always have the same point of view and interest. I think they should make a school movie starring a kid that is shy, emo and a loner. Anything but the usual!!!

Problem with school movies - James Comey - 02-16-2014 03:05 PM

Like a "rags to riches" story? Most of that barf is a bunch of baloney.

Problem with school movies - Gwedin - 02-16-2014 03:06 PM

I've only seen one movie about school that I can recall, and that's Suicide Room, where the protagonist is your average loner/emo/depressed guy.

RE: Problem with school movies - xcriteria - 02-16-2014 03:20 PM

They haven't done it, so it's up to us.

School, as well as learning and life, can surely be covered much better than existing movies and TV series that cover growing up.

I think doing a series as more of a documentary/reality format as a lot of promise, as there are so many real life stories, people, and situations to cover... just need interest and consent from a number of people in the same place. (And, probably multiple places as well, for a story that shows the effects of global interconnectedness.)

Fictionalized storytelling has a lot of promise too, though...

Problem with school movies - craxyguy562 - 02-16-2014 03:29 PM

I'm talking 'bout; High School Musical, Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Mean Girls, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Monster High etc.

Problem with school movies - 154bmag - 02-17-2014 02:11 AM

School movies are almost never accurate. High School Musical wasn't even meant to be realistic

RE: Problem with school movies - KFC Nyan Cat - 02-17-2014 02:15 AM

(02-16-2014 03:29 PM)crazyguy562 Wrote:  I'm talking 'bout; High School Musical, Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Mean Girls, Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Monster High etc.

Yeah, as much as I hate to admit it (It's one of the few books I still enjoy and the movies are okay too) Diary of a Wimpy Kid has an overly-typical person as it's main character.

High School Musical is one of those things you look back at and say "why did I like this?"

I can actually add to that list if you say movies and books: Dork Diaries, Dear Dumb Diary, and Equestria Girls (ironic since it's spun-off of a series known for having it's main characters only having one thing in common)

RE: Problem with school movies - xcriteria - 02-17-2014 05:04 AM

Questions:

What would a school movie that's "accurate" look like?

And, what would make for a more interesting, and worthwhile, movie based on school?

What about a transformation of how the school works, based on learner-centric practices? Maybe not an everyday scene in school, but I can imagine it based on what so many people are saying about "factory model schools" surviving into the 21st century.

Problem with school movies - James Comey - 02-17-2014 05:40 AM

An "accurate" school movie might be quite hard to make because of the diversity of factory model schools in the US. Suburban, rural, inner-city, urban, etc.

I would like to see a school move from the POV of a "cognitive refugee".

Problem with school movies - Missile - 02-20-2014 08:33 AM

Who ever got the idea for high school musical was probably on something

Problem with school movies - fucking done - 02-20-2014 08:42 AM

fuck you guys

Watch on YouTube

RE: Problem with school movies - Sunbourn - 02-21-2014 02:08 AM

Make your own movies then. Start off by buying the crappiest camera you can afford and just work with poor production values. You probably won't ever be able to catch a break, but if you do, you know exactly what to do. I think there's definitely a market out there for movies featuring loners that isn't being exploited, since it's a little counter-intuitive if you're trying to make a movie that sells well.

Problem with school movies - LadyKira - 02-21-2014 02:50 AM

Has anyone seen Ferris Bueller's day off? I don't know if it counts as a school movie. If no one has, it's about this guy named Ferris Bueller trying to not go to school by faking being sick.

RE: Problem with school movies - James Comey - 02-21-2014 02:52 AM

I'm certain a lot of people have seen it. Loved it.

Problem with school movies - craxyguy562 - 02-21-2014 12:49 PM

I saw that(Ferris Bueller's day off) I like the way he programmed his keyboard to play "sick" sounds. Razz

RE: Problem with school movies - James Comey - 02-21-2014 05:05 PM

(02-21-2014 02:08 AM)|55555| Wrote:  Make your own movies then. Start off by buying the crappiest camera you can afford and just work with poor production values. You probably won't ever be able to catch a break, but if you do, you know exactly what to do. I think there's definitely a market out there for movies featuring loners that isn't being exploited, since it's a little counter-intuitive if you're trying to make a movie that sells well.

This was actually how Zero Day was made.

RE: Problem with school movies - xcriteria - 02-21-2014 05:49 PM

(02-21-2014 02:08 AM)|55555| Wrote:  Make your own movies then. Start off by buying the crappiest camera you can afford and just work with poor production values. You probably won't ever be able to catch a break, but if you do, you know exactly what to do. I think there's definitely a market out there for movies featuring loners that isn't being exploited, since it's a little counter-intuitive if you're trying to make a movie that sells well.

Exactly. Likewise, there's not much being done about how out-of-place traditional school is in the 21st century. Likewise, I don't see anything being filmed about cognitive refugees who can't stand it, and are discovering far better ways to learn (or who are lost in the wilderness.)

(02-21-2014 02:50 AM)Lollipopgirl Wrote:  Has anyone seen Ferris Bueller's day off? I don't know if it counts as a school movie. If no one has, it's about this guy named Ferris Bueller trying to not go to school by faking being sick.

Yeah, I've seen that. It definitely counts, though it's a different kind than the sort crazyguy was complaining about. That's the closest to a "question school" film many people have probably seen.

RE: Problem with school movies - isolatedsystem - 02-22-2014 12:28 PM

(02-16-2014 03:06 PM)Gwedin Wrote:  I've only seen one movie about school that I can recall, and that's Suicide Room, where the protagonist is your average loner/emo/depressed guy.

yeah , the school never present movies like that
Most of them is presenting stereotypes ...

Problem with school movies - Superkamiguru - 01-27-2017 09:46 PM

Ferris Bueller is a hero.

RE: Problem with school movies - the Analogist - 01-28-2017 07:20 PM

Donnie Darko anyone?