School Survival Forums
I think school has given me Hypersomnia - Printable Version

+- School Survival Forums (http://forums.school-survival.net)
+-- Forum: Learning, Youth Rights and School Survival (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: School Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: I think school has given me Hypersomnia (/showthread.php?tid=31482)

I think school has given me Hypersomnia - KFC Nyan Cat - 02-10-2014 09:40 AM

Just a few months ago, I woke up too EARLY. In the same amount of time, my social life got worse (everyone thinks I'm creepy for stupid reasons) and school's pointless work got harder. Now, I never feel like getting up, I'm going to sleep while in Language Arts class (That's the most common but the same has happened to me in Lunch, Math, Spanish, and Health,) while on the computer, while watching TV and even while playing video games (Do you know how bad it feels to be near the end of a game that doesn't save then lose all of your lives because you can't help but sleep?)

I'm blaming it on (non-chronic) Hypersomnia because of how random it is. I'm blaming it on school due to the above reasons. I know I should stop getting up at 8:00 to watch T.V. on Saturdays, but I don't because I enjoy the show that much. (Superficial, I know, but I was raised on cereal mascots and licensed games until economic disaster struck so no surprise.) Anyone have solutions?

I think school has given me Hypersomnia - James Comey - 02-10-2014 11:34 AM

Talk to your parents and see a doctor and then hope for the best?

RE: I think school has given me Hypersomnia - KFC Nyan Cat - 02-10-2014 11:52 AM

(02-10-2014 11:34 AM)Hansgrohe Wrote:  Talk to your parents and see a doctor and then hope for the best?

We don't have insurance, and we didn't have enough money to go food shopping this week (we can only go every OTHER week.)

I think school has given me Hypersomnia - Ky - 02-10-2014 11:53 AM

I fear I'm on the verge of the same problem. Perhaps I should research this.

RE: I think school has given me Hypersomnia - James Comey - 02-10-2014 11:56 AM

(02-10-2014 11:52 AM)kfcnyancat Wrote:  
(02-10-2014 11:34 AM)Hansgrohe Wrote:  Talk to your parents and see a doctor and then hope for the best?

We don't have insurance, and we didn't have enough money to go food shopping this week (we can only go every OTHER week.)

Wow.

RE: I think school has given me Hypersomnia - xcriteria - 02-10-2014 02:18 PM

School and other aspects of your life could be affecting your mood, or otherwise leading to hypersomnia. I've experienced what's called atypical depression before, which is characterized by things like hypersomnia and lack of energy, rather than the more common symptoms of depression like being sad or emotionally down.

I've experienced hypersomnia like that as a result of being in school (particularly college) after I'd sort of given up on a given semester, but when the expectation to finish it out remained.

But, poor diet could also lead to hypersomnia. Is there anything you can do to eat better?

If finances are a problem, could you possibly qualify for food stamps, or find a food pantry in your area? Potentially, your family could change how they spend money, too, and end up with more to eat.

(NYC has a whole guide they put out meant to educate people about how to make better, cheaper meals called Cut the Junk... and there's a currently-running Coursera course called Child Nutrition and Cooking 2.0 that covers a lot of things about nutrition, cooking, and even shopping not covered in school.)

But diet can definitely impact state of mind, and certainly energy levels, so that's something to look into, and find solutions for as well.

Beyond that, how is school, and your life in general, going?