School Survival Forums
Teacher: "You are almost an adult. I expect you.." - Printable Version

+- School Survival Forums (http://forums.school-survival.net)
+-- Forum: Learning, Youth Rights and School Survival (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: School Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Teacher: "You are almost an adult. I expect you.." (/showthread.php?tid=31364)

Teacher: "You are almost an adult. I expect you.." - ..V.. - 01-31-2014 03:10 AM

To get your work done, etc. However, they don't act like we are adults.
In college, you could check your phone. The professor doesn't care, it's your money and time.
We can't speak in class, not even if we are doing the busywork.
We can't listen to music, like adults.
They want us to act like adults, yet we can't do the things that adults are 'allowed' to do.

Teacher: "You are almost an adult. I expect you.." - Duelix3 - 01-31-2014 03:25 AM

Tell them that if you are an adult, you cannot be unlawfully detained. Walk out.

RE: Teacher: "You are almost an adult. I expect you.." - brainiac3397 - 01-31-2014 04:07 AM

(01-31-2014 03:25 AM)Duelix3 Wrote:  Tell them that if you are an adult, you cannot be unlawfully detained. Walk out.

I like the way you think. Smile

RE: Teacher: "You are almost an adult. I expect you.." - James Comey - 01-31-2014 08:00 AM

(01-31-2014 03:10 AM)..V.. Wrote:  To get your work done, etc. However, they don't act like we are adults.
In college, you could check your phone. The professor doesn't care, it's your money and time.
We can't speak in class, not even if we are doing the busywork.
We can't listen to music, like adults.
They want us to act like adults, yet we can't do the things that adults are 'allowed' to do.

The greatest irony of the school system. They even try to pass off school as "like work", or my personal favorite, "a mini-version of the real world". They try to prepare you to "become an adult" even though they suppress every human right an adult citizen will have.

School officials seem to treat students as if they lack any kind of competence. I actually think the reason many teenagers act in the stereotype way (let's be honest, we are shooting ourselves in the foot) is because of popular media norms enforced on them, but also because they're given little independence in the first place anyway. This is why I hope one day we're able to create some kind of School-Survival "network", some kind of media platform which is able to broadcast our own opinions.

RE: Teacher: "You are almost an adult. I expect you.." - brainiac3397 - 01-31-2014 10:00 AM

Real world work pays...

Teacher: "You are almost an adult. I expect you.." - 154bmag - 01-31-2014 06:02 PM

^Real work, you can quit anytime.

RE: Teacher: "You are almost an adult. I expect you.." - brainiac3397 - 02-01-2014 05:16 AM

(01-31-2014 06:02 PM)154bmag Wrote:  ^Real work, you can quit anytime.

Or get fired. That way you can get unemployement benefits. And enjoy the last dew days at work pissing off your a-hole boss.

RE: Teacher: "You are almost an adult. I expect you.." - craxyguy562 - 02-07-2014 02:07 PM

(01-31-2014 03:25 AM)Duelix3 Wrote:  Tell them that if you are an adult, you cannot be unlawfully detained. Walk out.

Teacher: "You are almost an adult. I expect you.." - ..V.. - 02-07-2014 03:32 PM

RE: Teacher: "You are almost an adult. I expect you.." - James Comey - 02-07-2014 03:43 PM

As they say, even a broken clock is right twice a day. As much as I hate Duelix, he made a great point here.

RE: Teacher: "You are almost an adult. I expect you.." - Rusty Shackleford - 02-09-2014 04:00 AM

The miniature version of the 'Real Worldtm' is one of the terms that teachers use that angers me the most. The real world is not a world of paperwork, of orders, of structure. The real world is a world of chaos, fluctuation, life, love, death, sorrow, and every human emotion ever conceived. School propagates the lie that the real world is completely safe and structured, a solid world, a world of little boxes on the hillside. Sadly, to 98% of the world, this is completely believable. They want to live like ants, like worker drones, in their safe little world of routine. And those that do not want to live the same life every day? They are considered miscreants, for piercing a veil drawn over society's eyes. Alas, such is life.

Teacher: "You are almost an adult. I expect you.." - Alistoriv - 02-09-2014 04:58 AM

Yeah, I'm almost an adult. Let me enjoy childhood while I can bitch.