School Survival Forums
"School Zones" - Printable Version

+- School Survival Forums (http://forums.school-survival.net)
+-- Forum: Learning, Youth Rights and School Survival (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: School Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: "School Zones" (/showthread.php?tid=31067)

"School Zones" - ..V.. - 01-09-2014 06:44 AM

I can't go to another school because it's not in my district.
That's bullshit.

"School Zones" - ..V.. - 01-09-2014 06:49 AM

It's healthy to have choices.

"School Zones" - Ky - 01-09-2014 06:55 AM

This is one of the greatest flaws of compulsory education. These zones prevent lower-income families from sending their children to higher-performing schools, and limit the options and alternatives available to each student.

We'd be better off without these barriers.

"School Zones" - ..V.. - 01-09-2014 06:59 AM

Doesn't it also infringe the freedom of school's making their own choices?

"School Zones" - Ky - 01-09-2014 07:04 AM

Very much so. Because of school zones, schools are prohibited from dropping students without expelling them, and there are a number of limitations related to expulsion. Students that like to cause trouble will no doubt find the means to do so indefinitely.

RE: "School Zones" - xcriteria - 01-09-2014 07:45 AM

A different argument is made by some advocates of "public education," like Dianne Ravitch. They see public schools that serve everyone in a neighborhood as an ideal, and often see options, charters, and choice as a threat to that ideal.

There are a range of views on this, but this is something to explore when it comes to.controversy in education.

Personally, I think student choice is key... Not just which school, but when it comes to a range of decisions throughout each day, and in terms of major decisions like what to focus on overall.

That contrasts with the factory model approach of top down control, though. And, it requires a different level of maturity, mindfulness and initiative than school and adults often expect from teens, younger kids, or even college students.