School Survival Forums
I'm Still Here - Printable Version

+- School Survival Forums (http://forums.school-survival.net)
+-- Forum: Sticky (/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Forum: Welcome! (/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: I'm Still Here (/showthread.php?tid=30002)

I'm Still Here - GamerGurl - 11-08-2013 06:52 PM

Hey guys,

This is Marty. Hope you remember my last two usernames. I'll be in and out every now and then, but don't think I'm dead. Life still sucks for me, but yeah, I love you all here at SS. Grouphug

One last thing – I've gone through so many aliases it's kind of crazy, but I think I've stuck with one that I want to change legally. I thought of it, and I think I really want to change my name to Kabuto. Yes

Hope I see some familiar faces post here!

Marty

RE: I'm Still Here - Heil_Kaiba8921 - 11-08-2013 09:35 PM

If you are Kabuto...and I am Kaiba...who will be Phone?

RE: I'm Still Here - GamerGurl - 11-08-2013 10:06 PM

(11-08-2013 09:35 PM)Heil_Kaiba8921 Wrote:  If you are Kabuto...and I am Kaiba...who will be Phone?
Hahaha, well Kabuto as in Kabuto Yakushi from the Naruto anime. I can sort of relate to his character, so I was thinking of adopting his name for me. Suits me pretty well, at least IMO. Biggrin

RE: I'm Still Here - Heil_Kaiba8921 - 11-08-2013 10:25 PM

I just realized that I was thinking Kabuto was a duel monster when it's really apokemon too.

RE: I'm Still Here - brainiac3397 - 11-09-2013 12:03 AM

(11-08-2013 06:52 PM)MrJurgens Wrote:  Hey guys,

This is Marty. Hope you remember my last two usernames. I'll be in and out every now and then, but don't think I'm dead. Life still sucks for me, but yeah, I love you all here at SS. Grouphug

One last thing – I've gone through so many aliases it's kind of crazy, but I think I've stuck with one that I want to change legally. I thought of it, and I think I really want to change my name to Kabuto. Yes

Hope I see some familiar faces post here!

Marty

Welcome...back...ack...ck...k...

I'm Still Here - Ky - 11-09-2013 07:33 AM

Marty evolved into Kabutops

RE: I'm Still Here - GamerGurl - 11-09-2013 11:17 AM

(11-09-2013 07:33 AM)DoA Wrote:  Marty evolved into Kabutops
LOL no, no. I feel like a Kabuto. Not going to tell my parents, though. They'll be going crazy and it's really none of their business. Razz

RE: I'm Still Here - Ky - 11-09-2013 11:17 AM

(11-09-2013 11:17 AM)MrJurgens Wrote:  
(11-09-2013 07:33 AM)DoA Wrote:  Marty evolved into Kabutops
LOL no, no. I feel like a Kabuto. Not going to tell my parents, though. They'll be going crazy and it's really none of their business. Razz
Kabuto used the Everstone

I'm Still Here - SoulRiser - 11-10-2013 03:40 AM

Kabuto is a nice name. Smile

Good to know you're still alive.

RE: I'm Still Here - xcriteria - 11-10-2013 10:32 AM

Welcome back to SS. Smile

There's some momentum toward a couple people making books and so on... any more thoughts on making a video?

I'm thinking of some kind of series that combines multiple types of media... including live conversations of some kind about brainstorming options for people.

There are quite a few walls of text since your last most on here. We need a better index of all these things. Something that shows news and momentum toward transforming both learning and the search for meaningful work (and therefore, independence, and some kind of life beyond mere survival.)

What else is new in your life? Any new plans or goals?

RE: I'm Still Here - GamerGurl - 11-10-2013 12:31 PM

(11-10-2013 03:40 AM)SoulRiser Wrote:  Kabuto is a nice name. Smile

Good to know you're still alive.
Thanks. I want to change my last name to Yakushi. No middle name though, and I'm pretty sure that's allowed. Apparently my dad named me after some Spanish singer, but since him and I don't even relate other than by blood, I'd rather just become more of myself with virtually no association to my family whatsoever.

You see how I've changed my usernames a couple of times? Well I've had a hard time trying to find my identity, and when I'm older and have more money I want to do more to myself (like a few tattoos) and for myself to become more of what I see what I should be.

(11-10-2013 10:32 AM)xcriteria Wrote:  Welcome back to SS. Smile

There's some momentum toward a couple people making books and so on... any more thoughts on making a video?

I'm thinking of some kind of series that combines multiple types of media... including live conversations of some kind about brainstorming options for people.

There are quite a few walls of text since your last most on here. We need a better index of all these things. Something that shows news and momentum toward transforming both learning and the search for meaningful work (and therefore, independence, and some kind of life beyond mere survival.)

What else is new in your life? Any new plans or goals?
IMO, we need to start something that'll actually put this "revolution" in place. I don't mean to sound rude, but right now SS is just a place to discuss about these issues. I find these forums very enjoyable, but once we have a plan laid out I'd definitely like for SS to be a powerful contributor for this movement. Smile

As for my life, nothing new but the same old BS. You can refer to my response to SR for what I'd like to do asap. It's something short-term too, so that's relieving. I feel like a part of who I am is just not being associated with my family, so my first act will be to legally change my name to Kabuto Yakushi. Biggrin

RE: I'm Still Here - xcriteria - 11-11-2013 01:56 PM

I agree more needs to be done than just venting on the forums. And, more is being done... lots of people are talking about transforming education in other contexts as well. I've tried, in various walls of text here, to link to a lot of those talks, threads, and posts.

I think one step we need to take is put some of these resources, including stories from people here, in a format that's more accessible to a broader audience. It's very hard to get people onto these forums, and a lot of people who like this site don't even want to bring their parents or teachers here.

And that adds to the bottlenecks that keep things from changing. We need the voices of parents and teachers in the conversation as well. And, a greater variety of students. Not just one student or one teacher from different schools, but a broader network.

Really, it takes a lot of effort to keep up with everything that's going on in terms of change. More effort than a lot of people want to put in. So, there's the question of how to adapt complex ideas, like how people actually find work, into formats that parents and others can understand, and that they're motivated to engage with.

Try spending an hour watching this episode of a Canadian TV event: Learning 2030: Without Teachers -- there are several other episodes in the series as well. A revolution is already in progress in many ways.

I think the basic issue is, people need to take learning into their own hands, on a daily basis, and move beyond the "waiting for a revolution" mindset, and move beyond just identifying problems (which is important), to creating a vision for what learning, and figuring out life, can actually look like.

And that has two parts: one is doing so in a way parents, educators, and learners can understand, and the other part is just the personal process of figuring out what to do with freedom, constrained as it usually is by life on Earth.

I'm curious what you think about that Learning 2030 episode... I think it's evidence of what's possible, it's hard to get anyone to watch a 1 hour program. That's part of the problem to overcome with shorter videos and texts that inspire people to dig a bit deeper to see what they might find.