School Survival Forums
25% gets you a D, apparently - Printable Version

+- School Survival Forums (http://forums.school-survival.net)
+-- Forum: Learning, Youth Rights and School Survival (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: School Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: 25% gets you a D, apparently (/showthread.php?tid=29977)

25% gets you a D, apparently - Sunbourn - 11-05-2013 04:41 PM

Okay, so I'm all for putting a difficult test or quiz on a grading curve if students do bad on it, but recently my Chemistry professor gave us a quiz that was curved so much that 25% would earn students a passing grade. I think that the grade for a C started somewhere in the 40s or 50s. Maybe this would have been acceptable had the quiz been incredibly difficult, but the quizzes in that class aren't really particularly challenging. There's a multiple choice section which counts for half of the quiz grade, where there's really no excuse for getting more than half of them wrong if you so much as gloss over the material while drunk. Then there's free response questions which are almost identical to ones we've already done in class. If we're going to be using a grading system, I think that our standards should be a little higher than just handing out a passing grade for taking the quiz. :| The rest of our quizzes are curved similarly, though not as extreme as this one. He basically sets it so that the lowest grade in the class is the bar for a D.

RE: 25% gets you a D, apparently - brainiac3397 - 11-05-2013 04:48 PM

Im against curves.(unless it is on women. Women with curves I have nothing against...at all)

RE: 25% gets you a D, apparently - no - 11-05-2013 09:16 PM

(11-05-2013 04:48 PM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  Im against curves.(unless it is on women. Women with curves I have nothing against...at all)

Not even your body?

RE: 25% gets you a D, apparently - Heil_Kaiba8921 - 11-06-2013 10:33 PM

I don't remember how curved it was, but I ALMOST had to go to summer school after my junior year because of motherfucking geometry. I did great my first semester, but the second semester I got too distracted by those god damned laptops we had and the teacher didn't really stop me, I would put it up every now and then and try to pay attention at least. So when it came time for the final, I got a 60% which was just enough to get me a D which let me pass that class and move onto senior year where I failed my first semester of Algebra 2 because of my dumbass math teacher who was also a basketball coach and demanded I respect him when he talked down to me and accused me of sleeping when I was clearly awake...he did put me to sleep every day though, and said that he would kick us out for sleeping (I only got a total of 1 detention, possibly 1 or 2 in school suspensions though, can't remember) and I was the second closest person to his desk and was able to hear his extremely monotone voice with ease (seriously, even people that the president consider monotone wouuld yell at this guy for being too monotone) and so I eventually failed that class and took a semester 1 retake class which I passed pretty easily, at one point it was the only class that I had an A in and that kind of surprised me.