School Survival Forums
Conversation on Google+ with Sal Khan - Printable Version

+- School Survival Forums (http://forums.school-survival.net)
+-- Forum: Learning, Youth Rights and School Survival (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Youth Rights (/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Conversation on Google+ with Sal Khan (/showthread.php?tid=29790)

Conversation on Google+ with Sal Khan - xcriteria - 10-03-2013 02:31 AM

One hour hangout with Sal Khan of Khan Academy. One more example of the kind of conversations that are going on. Things are changing. Many adults do understand what's wrong with factory-model schools, and are working to transform education to make it relevant to learners, in school and out.

Watch on YouTube

Thoughts?

(If you make comments, add timestamps for the parts you're referring to. It's a good way to discuss these longer conversations.)

Conversation on Google+ with Sal Khan - xcriteria - 10-03-2013 05:05 AM

My notes...

(2:00) "take a step back" ... reimagine levels of education

(12:26) High school student shares his perspective

(12:50) ...personalization of education, social media, portfolios for evaluation...

(13:23) Khan asks about what's working well "in the system," and what he's frustrated by

(15:00) Khan: "And do you think you have a lot of time to work on creative things?"

(16:00) how to scale personalized learning?

(17;40) value of in-person learning environments and teachers as mentors or guides... value of culture of exploration, where failure is okay, collaboration, where people help each other..

(How would school need to change to make that possible?)

(20:00) scaffolding

(21:30) a platform where users can submit educational content... with moderation...

(22:25) debate within Khan Academy about how much to build a platform where anyone can contribute content, vs. a heavily curated collection of things

(22:55) if it was the "Wild West" with random videos everyone uploaded, they'd probably be gems, but for every gem, there may be 9 things that are discouraging. (Youtube and the information overload challenge.)

(23:20) KA goal: a curated experience, with more contributors than just Khan

(25:00) personal learning plans... educator role of finding and curating content

(26:40) "custom missions"

(28:30) content collection missions

(28:50) "my sense of the teacher of the future"

(29:10) Khan's wife as a doctor... diagnosis... mindset of the patient

(29:30) "The teachers who are really able to move the dial with students... they can change the student's mindset from one of 'hey teacher, tell me what to do next' to 'this is my goal, I'm going to try to reach it, and the teacher and my peers are there to help me.'"

(31:20) what's needed to reach outcome A, B, or C...

(31:40) more free-form approach, personal connection with students...

(32:25) the economics of most school districts... $8k, $9k, $10k per student per year... teacher pay...

(33:45) giving people missions vs. linear lesson plan sequences... looking to understand how that might work

(34:20) "define what it means to succeed" ... "personalized narrative to that endpoint"

(34:40) teacher pay vs. paying for technology in schools with limited budgets

(35:20) "if we could play emperor..." "these things become very complex because there are so many parties involved..."

(35:30) public vs. private schools... most debate is around public schools... private schools have problems as well

(36:30) "I'm a big believer in experimentation"

(37:30) what can we do with 8, 9, $10,000 per student per year?

(38:30) "I don't know how fast these things change or don't change" but "it's always darkest before the dawn"

(40:00) the student again... teaching material as one goal, cultivating curiosity and creativity as another...

(41:00) Sal turns the format around to ask the guests questions... what are the credentials that are going to matter? What do you think is the value of a college diploma today, and how does that need to change?

(41:33) "That's a very difficult question, and I think most people will agree that the diploma doesn't really guarantee what you want the student to have, as far as competencies go"

(41:50) badges as a means of credentialing... assessment of specific competencies vs. test score

(42:50) how can physicians directly show their competencies to patients who get to pick which doctor they see? (beyond just the degree)

(43:20) change in medical education is starting... portfolio-based assessment, competency-based, based on useful feedback

(43:45) "getting the students who have been trained on 'I got an A+' to actually seek feedback that says 'can you help me become better', 'what can you tell me" so they're actually receptive of feedback.

(44:00) portfolio + essays instead of grades and tests, for medical school... review committee

(45:00) challenge of asking medical school professors to change how they operate, when they "went through a system that worked... why should we change it?"

(45:50) degrees as a signal of jumping through hoops... how do you provide that signal to employers in some other way?

(46:40) getting into selective college via a filter... does the degree mean students learned anything, or just that they were selected into the college?

(48:30) "We've found folks who are incredibly brilliant... but they just weren't into school... now they can do amazing things"

(49:40) "There are many schools that are not traditional high schools, where, take the MET for example... it's based on what you're interested in learning about, and what you want to be in the future"

(52:00) learning through drama, projects, conversation... plus tools for learning traditional subjects

(52:30) maker spaces, hands-on approaches

(52:50) future of libraries... digital learning commons... places to go and learn...

(54:40) "inducing change is very difficult..." K-12 teachers as better than higher ed at tech integration (interesting idea)

(56:00) change... MOOC trend... different forms of it

(57:00) where is innovation going to happen faster or slower, and "what can be done to catalyze it, in higher ed, K-12, or lifelong learning?"

(57:20) ways to use technology to connect people, find resources

(58:30) finding jobs without university... udacity, MOOCs...

(59:00) choices of path to a great career... lighting a fire for changing education

So, skim that if you don't want to watch the whole thing. Smile

As you can see, change is being discussed, and this is just one example. How can we link in the problems of learners feeling like they're learning nothing?

Conversation on Google+ with Sal Khan - HawkbitAlpha - 10-03-2013 11:23 AM

I think I know the government's reaction...

[Image: khaaaaan.jpg]