School Survival Forums
An already stupid test at my school is being replaced by another stupid test - Printable Version

+- School Survival Forums (http://forums.school-survival.net)
+-- Forum: Learning, Youth Rights and School Survival (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: School Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: An already stupid test at my school is being replaced by another stupid test (/showthread.php?tid=29510)

An already stupid test at my school is being replaced by another stupid test - Christian Hellhound - 08-16-2013 06:54 AM

Before school got out this year I learned from my math teacher that next year, the "FCAT," a test taken at the end of the year in Florida schools with multiple-choice answers that completely destroys the purpose of grades because if you pass it it's all you need to move on, is being replaced by an equally dumb test that requires you write EXTENDED RESPONSES for every question rather than multiple choice questions... Wooooow. :I

As if the FCAT didn't fail enough kids every year, FL schools are TRYING to fail everyone now.

(Apologies if this post looks sloppy or anything like that, it was made on my phone.)

An already stupid test at my school is being replaced by another stupid test - no - 08-16-2013 11:47 AM

I actually think that written response is a step up from multiple choice because it requires more intelligence than guesswork and system-beating. But I agree, that if you have a group of students acclimated to taking only multiple choice because the school is so caught up in teaching the test that they can't teach anything else, it's an idiot move to expect them to take a brand new format of test the next year.

Although it will hardly affect me, I expect, considering my past writing endeavors.

RE: An already stupid test at my school is being replaced by another stupid test - Miab419 - 08-16-2013 01:14 PM

That sounds off... Wouldn't they expect success to plummet from moving from a already difficult test to something even more difficult? Unless they're trying to weed certain people out

An already stupid test at my school is being replaced by another stupid test - James Comey - 08-16-2013 01:17 PM

I think in a few years my state (California) is going to try to pull the same. The current testing system (STAR) is set to expire after July 2014, and according to Wikipedia: "California will 'replace [the] STAR tests with more in-depth exams in two years' ". The thing is already a horrible concept anyway (well, putting all of it at the end of the year, at least), so I guess they'll try to make it worse.

RE: An already stupid test at my school is being replaced by another stupid test - Miab419 - 08-16-2013 01:22 PM

It kills 2.5 weeks of main course material x). How do they plan to change STAR?

An already stupid test at my school is being replaced by another stupid test - James Comey - 08-16-2013 01:24 PM

Once again, quoting from Wikipedia:
"These new exams would have 'requirements for in-depth essays and projects that students will complete on computers.' "

An already stupid test at my school is being replaced by another stupid test - brainiac3397 - 08-16-2013 02:36 PM

They spelled fact wrong.

RE: An already stupid test at my school is being replaced by another stupid test - Christian Hellhound - 08-21-2013 08:15 AM

(08-16-2013 01:14 PM)Miab419 Wrote:  That sounds off... Wouldn't they expect success to plummet from moving from a already difficult test to something even more difficult? Unless they're trying to weed certain people out

That's what it sounds like...

RE: An already stupid test at my school is being replaced by another stupid test - Missile - 08-22-2013 05:28 AM

Here in Texas, they replaced the TAKS test (bad and hated enough) with the STAAR test (much harder, a lot more hated and sucks more)

RE: An already stupid test at my school is being replaced by another stupid test - brainiac3397 - 08-22-2013 08:00 AM

I think the state test here is the HSPA. I dont remember taking it, so it must have easy enough that it never entered my long term memory.