School Survival Forums
"No One Dreams of Dropping Out" - Printable Version

+- School Survival Forums (http://forums.school-survival.net)
+-- Forum: Learning, Youth Rights and School Survival (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Youth Rights (/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: "No One Dreams of Dropping Out" (/showthread.php?tid=29099)

"No One Dreams of Dropping Out" - xcriteria - 05-24-2013 06:09 AM

What do you think of that claim, made in big bold letters at http://boostup.org/en/students

Here's their map of state-by-state dropout rates: http://boostup.org/

Compare that with the trailers for this documentary on unschooling:

Watch on YouTube

Watch on YouTube

"No One Dreams of Dropping Out" - brainiac3397 - 05-24-2013 01:18 PM

I dreamed of dropping out. I also dreamed of becoming a giant and smashing up the school, but I doubt that'll ever happen.

"No One Dreams of Dropping Out" - Trar - 12-21-2013 12:01 PM

I dreamed I actually went to high school. I cowered in a corner while the rest of my classmates marched over a walkway with no supports over a bottomless pit to get to our first class.

And that site is almost hilarious. I missed slightly more than three dozen days my last year, and I left just before the end. They saddled me with extra work to do because I missed so many days. And the funny thing is my reading scores were the highest out of all my classmates; I still probably have the papers that say as much stashed somewhere in my desk. Want me to scan them? I would for you guys.

"Screw education, it's going to school that counts!"

"No One Dreams of Dropping Out" - James Comey - 12-21-2013 01:50 PM

Oh wow, I miss 6 fucking days and I have an "82% chance of graduating".

How fucking lulzy.

RE: "No One Dreams of Dropping Out" - no - 12-23-2013 01:41 PM

No, but I dream of teleporting out. ALL. THE. DAMN. TIME. It's starting to get irritating.

RE: "No One Dreams of Dropping Out" - Dirtbikemike - 12-24-2013 12:38 AM

Quote:Students who attend school regularly are more likely than students who are chronically absent to:

Oh god...

Quote:Graduate and go on to college

Woopdie doo

Quote:Score higher on standardized tests

I was one of the 100 or so people in my entire school of 600ish to NOT fail the new standardized tests in my state. They're harder than the old tests.

Quote:Learn to read well by the critical 3rd grade milestone

John Taylor Gatto would have a few words for this...

Quote:Be more engaged in school, feel better about themselves and are less likely to be depressed

Indeed I don't give a shit about school, but that's the reason I miss school a lot! Not vice versa. I feel fantastic about myself. I'm depressed when I DO go to school.

Quote:Build good habits for school and life (How many employers will tolerate a worker who misses 10 percent of work days?)

Assuming we're going to work for someone else our entire lives. This seems like a theme amongst all adults. They work for someone else, their friends work for someone else, therefore everyone is doomed to work for someone else. Except the people that other people work for, but they're lucky, faceless, and anonymous; someone we'll never be.

RE: "No One Dreams of Dropping Out" - chained to desk - 12-25-2013 11:42 AM

Quote:Build good habits for school and life (How many employers will tolerate a worker who misses 10 percent of work days?)

Assuming we're going to work for someone else our entire lives. This seems like a theme amongst all adults. They work for someone else, their friends work for someone else, therefore everyone is doomed to work for someone else. Except the people that other people work for, but they're lucky, faceless, and anonymous; someone we'll never be.
[/quote]
Also the student is admitted to be a worker here, giving up the false pretense that school is a place of learning.

"No One Dreams of Dropping Out" - James Comey - 12-25-2013 11:51 AM

Oh, and school and work schedules can be vastly different, depending on the job you work in.

"No One Dreams of Dropping Out" - Trar - 12-26-2013 09:16 AM

I misspoke in my original post in this thread. I missed around 77 days, not three dozen. That's around six dozen. To their credit, I didn't actually graduate!