School Survival Forums
Introduction thread - Printable Version

+- School Survival Forums (http://forums.school-survival.net)
+-- Forum: Sticky (/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Forum: Welcome! (/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Introduction thread (/showthread.php?tid=29075)

Pages: 1 2

Introduction thread - Trekkie_Aspie - 05-21-2013 01:43 AM

Welcome aboard, buckos. Please feel free t' leave your sanity in t' bin provided ... or in t' large pile or, may I take your sanity? Let me asaye those o' you who haven't been released from prison yet that your grades only define you if you let them. Maybe you failed in history because you already knew t' material so didn't do t' bullshit busywork but learnt basket-weavin' instead.

Who I'm not: I be not a D in English, I be not a B in IT. I be not a C in maths and science. I be not me grade.

Who I am: I be a teacher. I be a student. I be an independent learner. I be a poster here. I be a roleplayer. I be a reader. I be a writer o' both fiction and non-fiction. I be someone who really ought t' swim more. I be a poster in methos scribes. I be a gaia online member. I be a neopets member. I be a member o' MOOCs. I be unreasonably stubborn. I be persistent. I engage in probability revision. I be revisin' mocks (for about t' fifth time around) I be a digital native.

Now it’s your turn. What thin's be worth knowin' about you, that don’t show up on school tests? What thin's aren’t worth knowin' about you but only serve t' limit your potential and show up on school tests? In short: You’re not your grade, but who be you?

Introduction thread - SoulRiser - 05-21-2013 02:06 AM

I feel this strange compulsion to sticky this for some reason....

RE: Introduction thread - Trekkie_Aspie - 05-21-2013 02:08 AM

Please do! I was just debating whether it would be rude to ask or not...

Introduction thread - brainiac3397 - 05-21-2013 11:20 AM

Rude?
Hidden stuff:
[img]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_3lTGKf9LfT8/TTaGsBhuD2I/AAAAAAAAWQw/_AUngghEgWM/s1600/0RB+LP.jpg[/img]

Good Idea. I concur. Soul...STICKI NOUW! Biggrin

Disclaimer:What I would've said before it was stickied, for those who are confused!

Introduction thread - xcriteria - 05-21-2013 12:45 PM

(05-21-2013 02:06 AM)SoulRiser Wrote:  I feel this strange compulsion to sticky this for some reason....

Hah, just a few sentences in I was thinking "this is a sticky post." There's a reason...

Basically it's a textbook intake text based on an excellent part of Trekkie's longer post, spun into pirate lingo. Since people get pirate-themed welcome replies anyway, why not give them this to set the tone?

Onboarding or intake is a critical part of any game or community... lots of ways to do it, but for anyone who finds this, welcome aboard. Smile

RE: Introduction thread - Trekkie_Aspie - 05-22-2013 01:11 AM

Come on Soulriser and xcriteria, set a good example. Tell us who you are and who you are not.

RE: Introduction thread - brainiac3397 - 05-22-2013 01:40 AM

(05-22-2013 01:11 AM)Trekkie_Aspie Wrote:  Come on Soulriser and xcriteria, set a good example. Tell us who you are and who you are not.

What's the basic outline?. It's quite likely I will produce a wall of text so tall it'll achieve what the Tower of Bable could not If I went on to introduce myself.
(Unless xcriteria/Soulriser will be the one's to "produce" this outline, as examples, to lead the way. Then I shall simply wait......)

Introduction thread - xcriteria - 05-22-2013 03:35 AM

(05-22-2013 01:40 AM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  
(05-22-2013 01:11 AM)Trekkie_Aspie Wrote:  Come on Soulriser and xcriteria, set a good example. Tell us who you are and who you are not.

What's the basic outline?. It's quite likely I will produce a wall of text so tall it'll achieve what the Tower of Bable could not If I went on to introduce myself.
(Unless xcriteria/Soulriser will be the one's to "produce" this outline, as examples, to lead the way. Then I shall simply wait......)

What, you think my example won't be a wall of text? Smile

I can feel a lecture coming on now, a meta-analysis about how to write about identity.

That's making even my head spin.

Here are some quick thoughts instead:

When it comes to explaining yourself in text form, it helps to define yourself in terms of things other people can relate to. If they can't relate, then it helps to explain so they can. "Welcome to my world..." so to speak.

Think about how characters get introduced in a film or story. Who is a given character? When writers do this well, you can come to really understand who someone is, what they want, and all that, in a relatively short period of time.

So maybe looking to tropes is a good way to start! Here's a list (of lists) to pick from: TV Tropes: Characters

Another side of things is explaining backstory, who you used to be, who you want to be, and all that.

As for me... I guess the approach that comes to mind is to write up an autobiography. It's harder to make a quick "I'm this" "i'm not this" summary, beyond just copying yours. Smile

Digital native! I've used that before. Great term. That I am. And I'm a cognitive anthropologist. (Still figuring out how to build the credential for that.)

Which reminds me, here's the intro I did on the TV Tropes ARG, The Wall Will Fall:

http://forum.watchthefootage.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10&start=175#p30873

There's your intro. I drove them crazy with my walls of text and my attempts to make sense of the game. It got really meta.

RE: Introduction thread - Trekkie_Aspie - 05-26-2013 11:43 AM

Let's bring new people here, somehow?

Introduction thread - xcriteria - 05-26-2013 01:20 PM

Maybe combine the introduction question with the learning lab idea.

It can be daunting to explain who you are and who you aren't if you're still trying to figure those things out. Smile

One way to do both is to ask people to think about their life story, past, present, and future. And the story of School Survival. What can we as a community do for people? Answering that question could help bring new people.

That said... are you thinking of bring new people to this thread, or to the forums in general?

RE: Introduction thread - Trekkie_Aspie - 06-02-2013 09:59 PM

I meant the thread. Okay... how do we combine the two?

Introduction thread - alljoe3 - 10-04-2013 08:24 PM

Hi.. New here. Liked the free speech part of this forum. Wanted to try being a part of this. But got to say, this forum is too dark (literally Razz). Almost turning blind already.

RE: Introduction thread - SoulRiser - 10-05-2013 09:34 PM

(10-04-2013 08:24 PM)alljoe3 Wrote:  Hi.. New here. Liked the free speech part of this forum. Wanted to try being a part of this. But got to say, this forum is too dark (literally Razz). Almost turning blind already.

Try some of the other themes. Smile

Introduction thread - xcriteria - 10-05-2013 11:26 PM

There's a way to change themes in the forums?

I can't count how many people won't come here because of the white-on-black. :(

There's always the "Printable Version" below, but the formatting is extremely bare.

Introduction thread - brainiac3397 - 10-06-2013 01:46 PM

Mine is Red trim with black background. On mobile it's horrifying with blue trim and white background.

I'd like a cyber-green with space black though...

Introduction thread - no - 10-06-2013 11:11 PM

Where is this theme changer of which you speak?

RE: Introduction thread - brainiac3397 - 10-07-2013 12:22 AM

It should be in the UCP somewhere. I think.

RE: Introduction thread - xcriteria - 10-07-2013 12:27 AM

Oh, wow... sure enough. "Board style" under "Other options" on http://forums.school-survival.net/usercp.php?action=options

This is important information... I think a lot more people would use the site if they knew about this option.

The white theme I selected is burning my eyes, but that's only because Day Hurts Dark Adjusted Eyes at first. I'm used to the white in G+, but it feels strange here.

RE: Introduction thread - Zebby - 01-19-2014 07:35 AM

(05-21-2013 01:43 AM)Trekkie_Aspie Wrote:  Welcome aboard, buckos. Please feel free t' leave your sanity in t' bin provided ... or in t' large pile or, may I take your sanity? Let me asaye those o' you who haven't been released from prison yet that your grades only define you if you let them. Maybe you failed in history because you already knew t' material so didn't do t' bullshit busywork but learnt basket-weavin' instead.

Who I'm not: I be not a D in English, I be not a B in IT. I be not a C in maths and science. I be not me grade.

Who I am: I be a teacher. I be a student. I be an independent learner. I be a poster here. I be a roleplayer. I be a reader. I be a writer o' both fiction and non-fiction. I be someone who really ought t' swim more. I be a poster in methos scribes. I be a gaia online member. I be a neopets member. I be a member o' MOOCs. I be unreasonably stubborn. I be persistent. I engage in probability revision. I be revisin' mocks (for about t' fifth time around) I be a digital native.

Now it’s your turn. What thin's be worth knowin' about you, that don’t show up on school tests? What thin's aren’t worth knowin' about you but only serve t' limit your potential and show up on school tests? In short: You’re not your grade, but who be you?

Hey im new, i need to talk to someone

RE: Introduction thread - Subb - 01-19-2014 07:45 AM

Why don't you make an introduction thread? That's a good way to talk to people.

Introduction thread - James Comey - 01-19-2014 07:50 AM

That's what this whole section is for.

RE: Introduction thread - xcriteria - 01-19-2014 09:44 AM

Hi Zebby, and welcome. What brought you here? And what do you like to do?

Introduction thread - Gwedin - 01-19-2014 10:44 AM

Maybe he doesn't want to create an intro thread 'cause he's seen how we welcome newbies...

RE: Introduction thread - Trekkie_Aspie - 01-26-2014 04:40 AM

(01-19-2014 07:35 AM)Zebby Wrote:  
(05-21-2013 01:43 AM)Trekkie_Aspie Wrote:  Welcome aboard, buckos. Please feel free t' leave your sanity in t' bin provided ... or in t' large pile or, may I take your sanity? Let me asaye those o' you who haven't been released from prison yet that your grades only define you if you let them. Maybe you failed in history because you already knew t' material so didn't do t' bullshit busywork but learnt basket-weavin' instead.

Hey im new, i need to talk to someone

Well, come on then. Who are you?

Introduction thread - James Comey - 01-26-2014 08:30 AM

I think we scared him away.

Introduction thread - Rika - 03-29-2014 11:27 PM

Hi, I'm new here. Nice to meet you everyone? Sorry I'm not good at introductions and Engish is not my first language.
btw Interesting site.

RE: Introduction thread - LadyKira - 03-30-2014 07:40 AM

(03-29-2014 11:27 PM)Rika Wrote:  Hi, I'm new here. Nice to meet you everyone? Sorry I'm not good at introductions and Engish is not my first language.
btw Interesting site.

Hello Rika! Welcome to SS! Do you like video games?

You should post another thread to have us welcome you by the way. Well..if you want to..

Introduction thread - SoulRiser - 03-30-2014 10:57 AM

Hi Rika, where are you from?

RE: Introduction thread - tootsie_turtle - 04-08-2014 04:16 PM

Hello Biggrin Just joined, I'm new here. My name is Serena, my favorite color is lime green. I also really like cookies. Yep. That pretty much sums me up. This forum seems incredibly interesting, I look forward to hating school with you folks. SEE YA. Razz

Introduction thread - Dikont5 - 04-18-2014 01:40 PM

Hi, Just started joining this forum. My username is Dikont5 but you may refer to me as 5 , and I dislike school with a passion. I only wish to change this conformist school society. I will enjoy posting on these forums! Biggrin