School Survival Forums
"Respect is mutual, otherwise it is fear or obedience" - Printable Version

+- School Survival Forums (http://forums.school-survival.net)
+-- Forum: The Lounge (/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Forum: General Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: "Respect is mutual, otherwise it is fear or obedience" (/showthread.php?tid=28818)

"Respect is mutual, otherwise it is fear or obedience" - ..V.. - 04-15-2013 02:52 PM

Opinions?

"Respect is mutual, otherwise it is fear or obedience" - brainiac3397 - 04-15-2013 11:22 PM

It's the way I roll.

We ever going to get your opinion?

"Respect is mutual, otherwise it is fear or obedience" - SoulRiser - 04-16-2013 03:40 AM

Sounds pretty accurate.

But you can respect someone who doesn't respect you specifically (like, if they don't even know you or whatever).

"Respect is mutual, otherwise it is fear or obedience" - brainiac3397 - 04-17-2013 12:47 AM

Or if they're dead.

"Respect is mutual, otherwise it is fear or obedience" - Potato - 04-17-2013 01:51 PM

respect is earned and felt, otherwise it's pretended undeserved flattery. but no i think non-mutual respect is still respect. and nobody has given any reason why it shouldn't be.

RE: "Respect is mutual, otherwise it is fear or obedience" - Trekkie_Aspie - 04-20-2013 10:44 PM

(04-16-2013 03:40 AM)SoulRiser Wrote:  Sounds pretty accurate.

But you can respect someone who doesn't respect you specifically (like, if they don't even know you or whatever).

Not really, I'd argue that you're respecting their role and that the role gives them a certain amount of authority or ... wisdom ... perhaps.

For example, I have a tendency to automatically respect old ladies. Thing is, what I'm respecting that their advanced age means they are liable to have more life experience than me.

You don't respect a police officer you don't know as a person. You respect the uniform and the badge as trappings of the job's authority as an enforcer of the law.