School Survival Forums
Gatsby - Printable Version

+- School Survival Forums (http://forums.school-survival.net)
+-- Forum: Learning, Youth Rights and School Survival (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: School Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Gatsby (/showthread.php?tid=28288)

Gatsby - ..V.. - 01-14-2013 11:53 PM

We read the book in class, each chapter we had "Comprehension Questions", we had to summarize paragraphs, we listened to somebody read it over a CD. Now we are watching a movie about it. Thanks, School, now I don't like Gatsby. It's just a love story. It is also irrelevant.
We had a "Poetry" segment in American Lit. and all we did was have to choose an artist from the textbook, get accepted by the teacher, then write a biography about the artist, then talk about what the chosen poem was about and then present it in class.
I don't think that should be classified as a "Poetry" segment.
Your ideas?
E

RE: Gatsby - Thought Criminal - 01-15-2013 12:31 AM

I rather enjoyed the Great Gatsby. I had to read it my junior year in my AP lit class, I didn't really care for the story itself. I thought Gatsby was kind of a wuss but the setting is amazing. The way Fitzgerald describes New Egg and Old Egg and that burning ash dump in between. That house early on with the open windows, the curtians and the woman lounging on the couch.
They're making a movie out of it too, which looks like it could be pretty interesting. I just hope they get the 20's Hampton style look right.

RE: Gatsby - Heil_Kaiba8921 - 01-15-2013 12:50 AM

i never read it, nor do i intend to read it. I prefer books with a good blend of fantasy and reality (and by fantasy i mean magic and alternate histories, but not books like lotr...i prefer those kinds of books be movies so that i can watch things explode, although i still have never bothered to try and like lotr)

Gatsby - Ky - 01-15-2013 07:11 AM

The Great Gatsby was a decent book. The assignments I had to do regarding this book just a couple of months ago weren't all too annoying (but then again, I skipped most of them).

Gatsby - thewake - 01-16-2013 01:35 PM

Gatsby sucked the big one. I had to read it for AP Lit class as summer reading. I liked the method and style of writing that Fitzgerald employed, but for some reason I kept thinking that the entire novel was a indictment of something that didn't need indicting. I just can't put my finger on it.

RE: Gatsby - TheCancer - 01-16-2013 09:21 PM

Whenever I get involved with teaching a novel I always sort of feel like I'm involved in some sort of art crime against literature. When I was in school the teacher would give us three weeks to read the book and then we took a test on it. The end. Now the teachers are expected to comb through it and dissect it with the students doing all sorts of projects and graphic organizers and so on. It's a kind of vandalism I think. I've been offered Language Arts positions but I don't want to end up hating something that I love.

RE: Gatsby - Absnt - 01-18-2013 08:44 AM

I fucking loved The Great Gatsby. 'Fo real. Good shit. Might buy it just to re-read it. Fuck haters I can relate to Gatsby and Nick and fuck I like hating Tom's bitch ass w/e w/e nigga.

Plus I agree with Thought Criminal when it comes to imagry and the setting. Shit was sexy.

Gatsby - IamNoone - 01-18-2013 12:24 PM

Sorry for poor english.

Where were you when Gatsby was kill?

I was sat at home eating cereal when page 140 ringed.

"Gatsby is kill"

"no"

I actually like that book.

RE: Gatsby - Thought Criminal - 01-18-2013 03:24 PM

(01-16-2013 01:35 PM)Wes Wrote:  Gatsby sucked the big one. I had to read it for AP Lit class as summer reading. I liked the method and style of writing that Fitzgerald employed, but for some reason I kept thinking that the entire novel was a indictment of something that didn't need indicting. I just can't put my finger on it.

Pretty much this

RE: Gatsby - thewake - 01-18-2013 03:28 PM

(01-18-2013 03:24 PM)Thought Criminal Wrote:  
(01-16-2013 01:35 PM)Wes Wrote:  Gatsby sucked the big one. I had to read it for AP Lit class as summer reading. I liked the method and style of writing that Fitzgerald employed, but for some reason I kept thinking that the entire novel was a indictment of something that didn't need indicting. I just can't put my finger on it.

Pretty much this

Like, I really did like Fitzgerald's writing. I thought his punctuation was especially well crafted and natural. Maybe I'm just biased because it's the book everyone uses to condemn the roaring twenties and stuff and I think we grossly mis-characterize that age when we sum it up in such a depressing book.