School Survival Forums
How Many Books Do You Read A Week? - Printable Version

+- School Survival Forums (http://forums.school-survival.net)
+-- Forum: The Lounge (/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Forum: General Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+---- Forum: Movies/TV/Videos/Books (/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+---- Thread: How Many Books Do You Read A Week? (/showthread.php?tid=28065)

Pages: 1 2

How Many Books Do You Read A Week? - LiptomaticMate - 12-08-2012 06:26 AM

Title says it all.
I am personally trying to read 2 books a week, but school............ you know.

How Many Books Do You Read A Week? - SoulRiser - 12-09-2012 01:48 AM

I think I've only ever read like 2 or 3 books ever. Besides the ones school threw at me, that is. I prefer reading shorter things that get to the point quickly and teach me useful stuff. I'm not really into stories that much.

How Many Books Do You Read A Week? - LiptomaticMate - 12-09-2012 02:31 AM

I like games, movies, books, sports, series, tv shows, not only books, if some maybe get the impression of that. Books kinda make me, including games Biggrin to forget and relax from school.

RE: How Many Books Do You Read A Week? - Thought Criminal - 12-09-2012 03:30 AM

I'll read maybe a couple books a year. I used to be a real heavy reader up until like 9th grade. That's when I found the magic of video games and recreational drugs.

How Many Books Do You Read A Week? - Ky - 12-09-2012 04:42 AM

I don't read a set number of books a week. I either read several in one week or not read any at all, and it depends on how I'm feeling.

Books are neat. I wish schools weren't aware of that.

RE: How Many Books Do You Read A Week? - Absnt - 12-10-2012 08:19 AM

When I was on vacation I read like 4 books in one week. Outside of vacation I usually have time for 1 book a month, but atm I have time for no books at all. I don't even have time to be posting this why am I procrastinating, fuck...

How Many Books Do You Read A Week? - HeartoftheNorth - 12-10-2012 10:10 AM

Some weeks I'll read seven or eight, while others, I'll read maybe a single chapter of one.

How Many Books Do You Read A Week? - LiptomaticMate - 12-10-2012 02:44 PM

I read zero books right now, and do you know why... I'm not telling ya

RE: How Many Books Do You Read A Week? - Ky - 12-11-2012 09:07 AM

(12-10-2012 02:44 PM)LiptomaticMate Wrote:  I read zero books right now, and do you know why... I'm not telling ya
No worries, we can already figure it out.

RE: How Many Books Do You Read A Week? - Alucard483 - 12-11-2012 02:26 PM

I pick up a book and kill it in one or two goes. I killed books like Jurassic Park, Next, Sphere and The Shining in under eight hours. Unfortunatly Im rather choosey about what I read so I dont do it often, mabey one or teice a year.

RE: How Many Books Do You Read A Week? - Thought Criminal - 12-11-2012 02:33 PM

Jurassic Park blew me the fuck away.
You didn't have a childhood if you didn't see the movie but the book is SO MUCH BETTER!

RE: How Many Books Do You Read A Week? - LiptomaticMate - 12-11-2012 03:42 PM

(12-11-2012 09:07 AM)DoA Wrote:  
(12-10-2012 02:44 PM)LiptomaticMate Wrote:  I read zero books right now, and do you know why... I'm not telling ya
No worries, we can already figure it out.

Muhahahahaha, NEVER!!!!!!!

(12-11-2012 02:26 PM)Alucard483 Wrote:  I pick up a book and kill it in one or two goes. I killed books like Jurassic Park, Next, Sphere and The Shining in under eight hours. Unfortunatly Im rather choosey about what I read so I dont do it often, mabey one or teice a year.

I've heard the SHining is scary? Very scary? Whatsoever very good as well. Biggrin

(12-11-2012 02:33 PM)Thought Criminal Wrote:  Jurassic Park blew me the fuck away.
You didn't have a childhood if you didn't see the movie but the book is SO MUCH BETTER!

Have you heard the Jurassic Park theme song, very good soundtrack! Razz

RE: How Many Books Do You Read A Week? - Sunbourn - 12-12-2012 12:01 AM

1,000,000 books a minute.

RE: How Many Books Do You Read A Week? - Absnt - 12-12-2012 08:16 AM

thats a lot of books man

But seriously, I read 4 books in one week and I'll probably have to re-read like two of them... Reading fast is useful for cramming, enjoying and really getting to the root of a book takes more time. You have to really understand it. Sometimes I'll re-read a book if it's really complicated so I fully grasp what's going on and so I don't miss shit...

same with movies and shit.

RE: How Many Books Do You Read A Week? - LiptomaticMate - 12-12-2012 03:45 PM

(12-12-2012 08:16 AM)Absentinsomniac Wrote:  thats a lot of books man

But seriously, I read 4 books in one week and I'll probably have to re-read like two of them... Reading fast is useful for cramming, enjoying and really getting to the root of a book takes more time. You have to really understand it. Sometimes I'll re-read a book if it's really complicated so I fully grasp what's going on and so I don't miss shit...

same with movies and shit.

You read four books a week!!!!???? While going to school????

RE: How Many Books Do You Read A Week? - magikarp - 12-12-2012 05:39 PM

I'll pick up a novel every month or two and finish it all at once (or maybe over two days), maybe the odd bit of nonfiction, but I really barely read anymore. Trying to read more books or 'serious' writing instead of getting invested in internet wankfests (mostly gay/queer activism, gay/queer history, etc.).

RE: How Many Books Do You Read A Week? - Absnt - 12-13-2012 12:25 PM

(12-12-2012 03:45 PM)LiptomaticMate Wrote:  You read four books a week!!!!???? While going to school????

Lolno. While I was on vacation over the summer I did. But that was only once. I usually only have time for like 1 book a month, and right now i've been working 40 hours and week + college so I haven't had time to read any. But I'm in the middle of a few, but I've been putting them off and shit.

RE: How Many Books Do You Read A Week? - LiptomaticMate - 12-13-2012 07:18 PM

(12-13-2012 12:25 PM)Absentinsomniac Wrote:  
(12-12-2012 03:45 PM)LiptomaticMate Wrote:  You read four books a week!!!!???? While going to school????

Lolno. While I was on vacation over the summer I did. But that was only once. I usually only have time for like 1 book a month, and right now i've been working 40 hours and week + college so I haven't had time to read any. But I'm in the middle of a few, but I've been putting them off and shit.

Me too, Smile I'll get some done in the christmas vacation now though can't wait. Biggrin

How Many Books Do You Read A Week? - ThorodonSorrow - 12-14-2012 12:36 PM

Not enough. That's for sure. I try to read every night, but school is stressful.

How Many Books Do You Read A Week? - LiptomaticMate - 12-14-2012 02:47 PM

It's friday, it's friday, which seat can I taaaaaaakkke. YEaH, it friday! FUCK MHHMH YEAH!!!! Biggrin

RE: How Many Books Do You Read A Week? - Sunbourn - 12-15-2012 01:32 AM

Okay, I have a confession to make. I hope it doesn't taint everybody's view of me. I don't really read 1,000,000 books per minute. I'm lucky to be able to finish a few of them a month. I've read about eighty pages in The Fountainhead at school so far today, because in my first two periods all we were doing was exam review, and being exempt from all of my exams I saw no reason to pay any attention whatsoever to that tripe. Smile

RE: How Many Books Do You Read A Week? - Absnt - 12-15-2012 05:34 AM

^ this is madness how can we ever trust u omg

RE: How Many Books Do You Read A Week? - Thought Criminal - 12-15-2012 08:30 AM

The Fountain Head. lol What a horrible fucking book.

How Many Books Do You Read A Week? - LiptomaticMate - 12-15-2012 09:51 AM

Nice buddy! ;=)

How Many Books Do You Read A Week? - GreenLamp - 12-15-2012 10:08 AM

I used to love stories, now they're a bit boring. I now read for info and education. I wish I knew about more exciting stories to read, right now I'm on The Hobbit and it's pretty good.

RE: How Many Books Do You Read A Week? - Sunbourn - 12-15-2012 11:18 AM

(12-15-2012 08:30 AM)Thought Criminal Wrote:  The Fountain Head. lol What a horrible fucking book.

Thus far I disagree. You're free to your opinion, though. I think it's a book that overall would appeal to the SS crowd, since it's centered around somebody who was expelled from architectural school for trying to do projects his own way instead of the way everybody else says he should.

RE: How Many Books Do You Read A Week? - Thought Criminal - 12-15-2012 01:37 PM

Well, it's not the story I dislike as much as it is the Author. I think SS would like the book as well but I would hope they educate themselves on Rand afterwards. I went through an Ayn Rand phase for a while after I played Bioshock for the first time. I read a couple of her books and her non-fiction "for the new intellectual" but then I dual enrolled and took a real college level philosophy class and realized what a hack she was.
The reason she is still popular among psudo intellectuals is because she can make a convincing argument, and her philosophy is used by assholes to defend the asshole things they do. The Fountainhead is a perfect example of this. This man can design gorgeous buildings, but he is shunned by the traditionalist architects at his design school. He is unwilling to compromise his values to the point of breaking his ass at a rock quarry (and at the tongue of a riding crop lol). Then he gets an opportunity to show his skill, allowing an idiot to put their name on a design he created, a giant housing project comparable to Pruitt Igoe (Read about that fail here) and when the people who hired the idiot mess with his design he decides to blow the shit out of the housing project because it was his idea and he didn't like that they changed it therefore its okay to bomb a multi-million dollar project that would put poor people in homes.

It's all unwarranted ego stroking. Any serious modern philosopher you ask isn't going to have any praise to sing for Ayn Rand, even if they hold similar views, simply because she was a terrible philosopher. If anyone gets interested in Rand, I wholeheartedly encourage you to go ahead and read, just beware of what you're reading and get other perspectives.

RE: How Many Books Do You Read A Week? - Absnt - 12-16-2012 08:20 AM

inb4 wes

How Many Books Do You Read A Week? - ThorodonSorrow - 12-16-2012 01:05 PM

In middle school I would just reread the Twilight Saga over and over..
It's depressing.

How Many Books Do You Read A Week? - LiptomaticMate - 12-16-2012 08:02 PM

Why?