School Survival Forums
Teachers say Khan Academy helps students learn too fast - Printable Version

+- School Survival Forums (http://forums.school-survival.net)
+-- Forum: Learning, Youth Rights and School Survival (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: School Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Teachers say Khan Academy helps students learn too fast (/showthread.php?tid=279)

Pages: 1 2

Teachers say Khan Academy helps students learn too fast - SoulRiser - 07-27-2011 02:23 PM

Heard of Khan Academy? Some teachers say it helps students learn too fast, and they want to hold them back more. Seriously. I'm not making this up. Read this:

Quote:Even if Khan is truly liberating students to advance at their own pace, it’s not clear that the schools will be able to cope. The very concept of grade levels implies groups of students moving along together at an even pace. So what happens when, using Khan Academy, you wind up with a kid in fifth grade who has mastered high school trigonometry and physics—but is still functioning like a regular 10-year-old when it comes to writing, history, and social studies? Khan’s programmer, Ben Kamens, has heard from teachers who’ve seen Khan Academy presentations and loved the idea but wondered whether they could modify it “to stop students from becoming this advanced.”

More here: http://www.wired.com/magazine/2011/07/ff_khan/all/1

Noo

Re: Teachers say Khan Academy helps students learn too fast - Blobthe15 - 07-27-2011 02:24 PM

I lol'd

but really I was more like Noo Upset Huh

Re: Teachers say Khan Academy helps students learn too fast - Aya - 07-27-2011 02:46 PM

Lol they mad

Srsly though I've used khan academy to learn me some trigonometry. If I were him I would laugh hysterically in front of a camera for 5 minutes then post the video on YouTube as video response to this bullshit.

Re: Teachers say Khan Academy helps students learn too fast - psychopath - 07-27-2011 04:48 PM

Lol'd

Re: Teachers say Khan Academy helps students learn too fast - Efs - 07-27-2011 05:23 PM

I never new of Khan Acad. before this thread. Seems pretty interesting.

Teachers are fucking retarded. "Learning too fast." Hmm well....you guys overload us with work and we learn nothing.

Re: Teachers say Khan Academy helps students learn too fast - UnschoolShqiponjë - 07-27-2011 10:23 PM

Wow.... you see... schools are awesome because they force everyone into the same sized shoe! Advancing ahead??? BAH to that! Kids need to stay at the same pace with all subjects otherwise learning isn't good!

Re: Teachers say Khan Academy helps students learn too fast - thewake - 07-27-2011 10:57 PM

Watch on YouTube

Re: Teachers say Khan Academy helps students learn too fast - HeartofShadows - 07-28-2011 12:05 AM

Goddammit Einstein was right.
Stupidity truly has no handicaps.

Re: Teachers say Khan Academy helps students learn too fast - thewake - 07-28-2011 12:08 AM

That economics section on Khan Academy looks really interesting.

Re: Teachers say Khan Academy helps students learn too fast - flann - 07-28-2011 01:31 AM

I think I know how I'm gonna learn in highschool now...

I'll know geomeotry before I start geometry class now. I LIEK LEARNING FAST.

Stopping advanced learned stops smartness.
Why do they complain anyways? Shouldn't this give the teachers less people trouble?

Re: Teachers say Khan Academy helps students learn too fast - Phrozen_Soul - 07-28-2011 01:35 AM

flann Wrote:I think I know how I'm gonna learn in highschool now...

Why do they complain anyways? Shouldn't this give the teachers less people trouble?

Because teachers hate it when kids call them out on mistakes.

Re: Teachers say Khan Academy helps students learn too fast - flann - 07-28-2011 01:47 AM

Phrozen_Soul Wrote:
flann Wrote:I think I know how I'm gonna learn in highschool now...

Because teachers hate it when kids call them out on mistakes.

I'm antisocial enough I won't even ask questions if I have one...
However, I completely
Hidden stuff:
do not
understand why old people are superior to younger people.

Re: Teachers say Khan Academy helps students learn too fast - Phrozen_Soul - 07-28-2011 08:59 AM

flann Wrote:I'm antisocial enough I won't even ask questions if I have one...
However, I completely
Hidden stuff:
do not

I don't know. Back when we were nomadic barbarians elders were highly respected because of their wisdom and experience. Today... I just don't know.

Re: Teachers say Khan Academy helps students learn too fast - EnemyOfTheState - 07-28-2011 10:02 AM

Phrozen_Soul Wrote:
flann Wrote:I'm antisocial enough I won't even ask questions if I have one...
However, I completely
Hidden stuff:
do not

I don't know. Back when we were nomadic barbarians elders were highly respected because of their wisdom and experience. Today... I just don't know.
Because....they....BECAUSE THEY SAY SO!!

Re: Teachers say Khan Academy helps students learn too fast - Reptorian - 07-28-2011 01:19 PM

Perfect. The great example of killing current system advocates' credibility. It's about time. Thanks for this news.

Re: Teachers say Khan Academy helps students learn too fast - aaaaaaasd - 07-28-2011 07:42 PM

OH NO! Something that enables people much faster and better than school technically renders us obsolete! This is terrible!

Re: Teachers say Khan Academy helps students learn too fast - Absnt - 07-28-2011 09:01 PM

Khan is teh shit. I used it over the summer, and it was fucking awesome.

RE: Teachers say Khan Academy helps students learn too fast - thefrustrated - 12-06-2011 09:52 PM

Wow. It's becoming pretty blatant that they want to dumb as down.

RE: Teachers say Khan Academy helps students learn too fast - aCol - 12-06-2011 10:42 PM

This reminds me of a post in a german newspaper.
Following is the summed up information I remember: A preschool teachress was so good that all the small children passed right onto "Gymnasim" (still the "highest" possible school in germany ). The ministery though something there must be wrong and she must manipulate something so that all could pass - they came to observe and just noticed she's a damn good teachress. However, she got forced to make all the test as hard as possible so pupils get worse and cannot attend to the Gymnasium and to sink the standards that where to high for all other teachers to hold up to it. Yes, instead of actually LEARNING FROM A DAMN TEACHRESS THAT TEACHERS INTERESSTING FOR ALMOST EVERYBODY, THEY FORCED THAT TEACHRESS SO BE "A BAD TEACHER". Sorry for the eye-cancer, but it really annoys me when I come to think of it.

RE: Teachers say Khan Academy helps students learn too fast - McGee! - 12-07-2011 06:38 AM

Quote: So what happens when, using Khan Academy, you wind up with a kid in fifth grade who has mastered high school trigonometry and physics—but is still functioning like a regular 10-year-old when it comes to writing, history, and social studies? [/b]
[/quote]

1.Make a history/writing site
2.whore it on the web
3.????
4.Profit.

RE: Teachers say Khan Academy helps students learn too fast - RaiserZero - 12-07-2011 11:11 AM

If a 5th grade kid learns high school trigonometry and physics, that is amazing, he is probably interested in these subjects, the other subjects can wait, he'll learn them with time.

Screw those teachers, they're just trying to cover up their arses for being too slow.

RE: Teachers say Khan Academy helps students learn too fast - xydougie - 12-13-2011 12:26 PM

HOlY FUCK PEOPLE WE'VE HIT ROCK BOTTOM

the phrase "too advanced" should never be uttered by human lips

RE: Teachers say Khan Academy helps students learn too fast - Luizao876 - 12-14-2011 06:49 AM

So, school makes learning slow and boring, and Khan makes learning more fun and fast, and people out there say that children are learning "too" fast? ROFL

Gotta love teachers and other type of people like this.

RE: Teachers say Khan Academy helps students learn too fast - Prince Rilian - 12-15-2011 07:15 AM

When I was in 4th grade, they sent the advanced kids off to play games for part of the day. You know, to try to hold them back, so they wouldn't be so freaking advanced next year. But it didn't work, most of the same kids were in the advanced classes in 5th grade also, and then they actually let us do advanced work.

RE: Teachers say Khan Academy helps students learn too fast - Story and Myth - 12-15-2011 01:28 PM

I just lost all faith in all teachers everywhere. They cannot be saved.

RE: Teachers say Khan Academy helps students learn too fast - LOON_ATTIC - 12-15-2011 01:32 PM

(07-27-2011 05:23 PM)Efs Wrote:  I never new of Khan Acad. before this thread. Seems pretty interesting.

Teachers are fucking retarded. "Learning too fast." Hmm well....you guys overload us with work and we learn nothing.

This so fucking hard.

Teachers say Khan Academy helps students learn too fast - HawkbitAlpha - 06-10-2017 02:38 AM

There goes another thread out of its grave.

Teachers say Khan Academy helps students learn too fast - Gwedin - 06-10-2017 05:54 AM

if it's a conspiracy it's a bizarre one considering most of my teachers in hs were huge advocates of using khan academy as a supplement...

RE: Teachers say Khan Academy helps students learn too fast - the Analogist - 06-11-2017 07:57 AM

its not a conspiracy as much as a trick.

tell people we want the kids to learn some important things, tell them we see that they know important things, and give them the task of being important wise people in the world of these kids.

the program when excecuted with all its benign dressings draws on the egos of the people involved. what is produced thereby is an ego factory. thats why when you challenge the idea of school to most, they react as if you are challenging THEM.

Teachers say Khan Academy helps students learn too fast - Gwedin - 06-11-2017 09:09 AM

reword all that so that a dumb shithead can follow it pls thx