School Survival Forums
Hello! - Printable Version

+- School Survival Forums (http://forums.school-survival.net)
+-- Forum: Sticky (/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Forum: Welcome! (/forumdisplay.php?fid=5)
+--- Thread: Hello! (/showthread.php?tid=27896)

Pages: 1 2

Hello! - Subb - 11-16-2012 02:01 AM

Ummm...Hi. I'm new. I am 14 years old and hate school with a passion. I wish i could just do unschooling, but my parents won't let me. My mom said she's too "traditional" to do something like that. I am in virtual school right now, but I just realized that it's basically the same thing. I NEED HELP!!! Goingcrazy

RE: Hello! - Heil_Kaiba8921 - 11-16-2012 03:27 AM

...i really wish i didn't know how old all these newfafs were...just makes me hate kids more and almost makes me feel like defending skool...almost

anyways...

What's your favorite movie?

Who's your favorite actor?

RE: Hello! - Subb - 11-16-2012 04:31 AM

Hi!

I do not have a favorite actor or a favorite movie, but I love documentaries in general.

I hope you won't make any assumptions because of my age. I know my age group can be quite ignorant, but I am different. I don't want to be lumped in to that group.

Hello! - SoulRiser - 11-16-2012 05:45 AM

Ageism is bad.

Also, welcome!

If your mom allows you to do virtual school, why not unschooling? Virtual school isn't really 'traditional' either.

Hello! - Subb - 11-16-2012 06:05 AM

I've talked to her about it many times, and she has given me a couple of reasons.

1. She is "open" enough to virtual school enroll me in it because it has a curriculum.
2. She takes the name too literally, interpreting it as an "undoing" of school. She says that many good things have come from school, and she doesn't want to "undo" them.

RE: Hello! - McGee! - 11-16-2012 06:29 AM

Not to whore the heck out of the program or anything, but Zero Tuition Clollege(don't be too offset by the fact "college" is in the name, it's more of an open community) is a pretty good program with "lessons" based on what you pick for interests. The main downside is some of the goals are specific to your location and may require small travel.

http://www.ztcollege.com

Again, sorry for posting this site twice in one week, you guys know I'm not a spambot

Hello! - GreenLamp - 11-16-2012 06:31 AM

(11-16-2012 03:27 AM)Heil_Kaiba8921 Wrote:  ...i really wish i didn't know how old all these newfafs were...just makes me hate kids more and almost makes me feel like defending skool...almost

What's wrong with kids?

RE: Hello! - SomeRandomHuman - 11-16-2012 07:42 AM

(11-16-2012 06:31 AM)GreenLamp Wrote:  
(11-16-2012 03:27 AM)Heil_Kaiba8921 Wrote:  ...i really wish i didn't know how old all these newfafs were...just makes me hate kids more and almost makes me feel like defending skool...almost

What's wrong with kids?
I am wondering tge same greenlantern, whats wrong with kids? Kids are as smart as adults and can survive without them. Heck, my life became a hell of a lot better once mom was put in jail. I am surviveing myself fine, and I am 14.

RE: Hello! - Ky - 11-16-2012 09:21 AM

It's funny that everyone seems to be attacking Kaiba's comment.

RE: Hello! - Subb - 11-16-2012 09:23 AM

(11-16-2012 09:21 AM)DoA Wrote:  It's funny that everyone seems to be attacking Kaiba's comment.

It is kinda funny, now that you mention it.

Hello! - Ky - 11-16-2012 09:26 AM

Point proven, though - age discrimination is a backwards practice.

Hello! - GreenLamp - 11-16-2012 10:48 AM

I'm not attacking it. I was just curious. Razz

RE: Hello! - Heil_Kaiba8921 - 11-16-2012 10:57 AM

OK, here's an edit for that statement that is shorter and more specific...

I hate the kids/people that annoy me, and i tend to stereotype things a lot.

that should explain things some lol

RE: Hello! - Subb - 03-03-2014 04:40 PM

Ah... My introduction.

Reading it, I feel like I'm basically the same guy, but I like to think that I'm a bit wiser than I was. And a bit more mature in how I carry myself. Also, this was in the middle of somewhat of a minor metamorphosis, which I'm still feeling the effects of today.

RE: Hello! - brainiac3397 - 03-03-2014 04:45 PM

People keep bumping their intros...

RE: Hello! - Subb - 03-03-2014 04:47 PM

Well, yeah. You should do the same, Reflect.

RE: Hello! - brainiac3397 - 03-03-2014 04:57 PM

I do reflect. Its called a mirror Biggrin

Hello! - Gwedin - 03-03-2014 05:13 PM

(03-03-2014 04:57 PM)brainiac3397 Wrote:  I do reflect. Its called a mirror Biggrin

sexy master race unite

Hello! - James Comey - 03-03-2014 05:16 PM

School Survival, for whatever reason, attracts a lot of attractive people. Smile

RE: Hello! - brainiac3397 - 03-03-2014 05:39 PM

Not enough of the opposite sex.

Then again the internet is male.

Hello! - Gwedin - 03-03-2014 06:20 PM

not enough nzers.

Hello! - Stadium - 03-03-2014 09:54 PM

Kids are immature because they're not old enough to develop maturity yet, it's simple.

And I hate reading through most of the newer members' posts as well. How do I describe these posts I'm talking about..? Angsty, edgy? It just conforms to a certain stereotype is what I'm saying.

Hello! - SoulRiser - 03-03-2014 10:36 PM

Quote:Kids are immature because they're not old enough to develop maturity yet, it's simple.
How old is old enough?

Quote:And I hate reading through most of the newer members' posts as well. How do I describe these posts I'm talking about..? Angsty, edgy? It just conforms to a certain stereotype is what I'm saying.
Then don't read them, it's simple.

RE: Hello! - Stadium - 03-03-2014 10:51 PM

Quote:How old is old enough?

I feel like I've said that very same things arguing the same point you're arguing, Soul. There is no set age, but you can tell by their behavior...or, in the case of forums, by their posts.

Quote:Then don't read them, it's simple.
I feel like it's a very bad, very very bad stereotype to represent us and the things all of us would like to accomplish. 'my mom took my iphone away and I hate school, i just want to die' extreme example but you can't tell me you haven't read through posts on these forums that are shockingly similar to that example.

If it were as simple as not reading them and they would go away, I would certainly just ignore them. However the trouble is, other people will not ignore them, and people who stumble onto this site and read through these kinds of posts will get the impression that THIS is what the anti school movement is about. Entitled kids and teenagers whining because their first world lives aren't perfect.

I mean no disrespect to anyone on these forums because if you look at my post history from a couple years back I was very much the same way. All I'm saying is that if any of us ever want to actually accomplish anything, the majority of threads being clearly immature kids complaining about trivial things isn't going to help.

RE: Hello! - brainiac3397 - 03-04-2014 05:09 AM

This sucks. My shoelace isnt gray anymore. All this snow. Stadium plz halp meh solv dis lif crysis.

Hello! - SoulRiser - 03-04-2014 06:12 PM

Quote:If it were as simple as not reading them and they would go away, I would certainly just ignore them. However the trouble is, other people will not ignore them, and people who stumble onto this site and read through these kinds of posts will get the impression that THIS is what the anti school movement is about. Entitled kids and teenagers whining because their first world lives aren't perfect.

It's not even a majority of posts that are like this... just a few. They'll probably stop at some point, just like you did. And you do realize you're complaining on a Welcome thread from 2012, right? Razz

Venting is healthy... so if that's what someone needs to do, then they should do it. They shouldn't have to repress their feelings just so that this site can "look good" to some random undefined outsiders (the people you're talking about probably won't like it regardless of the venting, anyway).

Hello! - Potato - 03-04-2014 10:46 PM

Quote:Venting is healthy...

no it aint

http://www.nytimes.com/1983/03/08/science/venting-anger-may-do-more-harm-than-good.html

Hello! - James Comey - 03-05-2014 09:51 AM

^It depends on the way you do it. There are different ways of venting that are far more constructive and much less scary.

Hello! - Potato - 03-07-2014 03:41 AM

^for example?

Hello! - SoulRiser - 03-07-2014 06:19 AM

Well, that makes sense. If venting allows you to 'let go' afterwards, then it's helpful... but if it doesn't, then it's not. Like, if you're angry about not being heard, and you vent somewhere, and then you feel satisfied that you've been heard, then it's helpful. But if your anger was about something that venting can't solve, and you don't have a way to 'let go' after the venting, then I can see how rehearsing it again can be harmful.

Anger isn't the only thing people might need to vent about, though... there are other emotions.