School Survival Forums
Don't want to go to school, need advice :) - Printable Version

+- School Survival Forums (http://forums.school-survival.net)
+-- Forum: Learning, Youth Rights and School Survival (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: School Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Don't want to go to school, need advice :) (/showthread.php?tid=27810)

Don't want to go to school, need advice :) - Entity - 11-04-2012 03:59 AM

So, i'm a pretty new member here, so here goes my introduction as well as my problem. I'm 16 years old, a Indian guy with good grammar (Woah, that's rather unusual, don't you think? Indian people with bad grammar are like, a lot! Biggrin) , blah, blah, here's the problem.

READ THIS BEFORE READING THE WHOLE THREAD -This is gonna be a pretty big thread, and if you can't read all of it, refer to the TL;DR version at the bottom. I slightly changed some things so people can understand it, as some things are different in India .

Here's the problem/story - I like to write, so this will feel like a story.
So, i'm like very interested in computers since like a small age. I used to sit on it and do and make new stuff and impress my friends. .
Last year, i was in this amazing and pretty high-standard school, i had lots and lots of friends, i had a very good social life, i used to play sports (Was in the soccer team), and pursued my 'hobby', computers as well.
Oh wait, i forgot to tell you, i'm a pretty avid gamer and a reader(i love to read ), maybe one of these days i'll even post my poem xD.
I've won several gaming competitions and stuff, and if you should know, i used to game around 3 hours a day(or maybe more sometimes).
So last November, i got an amazing idea for a website, which could sell a lot.
I learned some programming languages(I knew some, i learned more), and started working on the website with my friends. There was a big gaming competition coming up in 3 weeks, so i had to gear up for that too, and my exams were like, only 2 months away, so there was a lot of tension and stuff. (Btw i placed 3rd in that gaming competition with my team and got myself a cool $200. )
So, i kinda stopped studying to focus on gaming/website. I was kinda leader of both, so i had this responsibility on me. I always used to give my computer stuff more priority than studying or some other stuff, so yeah.
So, i stopped studying, stopped seeing my friends, even skipped school few times, for both of them things.
Blah, blah, fast forward 2-3 weeks, i was staying up late night doing these things.
Fast forward some more, I almost failed in Maths. Almost.
After that, i was to go in 11th grade, my grades weren't that good, they were satisfactory though, along the lines of B in each and A in English , and i had to change my school as my family was moving.
Fast forward, had summer holidays(I have in May-June), the 2 months, i got interested very much in programming and went into hacking, i was getting like, majorly addicted to these stuff, and as i didn't have any friends in my area, i was mostly alone.
School opens, i make new friends, some of them are just awesome! (Nope, still haven't found friends that share my area of interest (Computer/Programming/Hacking).
July goes by, My computer hours reduce a bit thanks to my new friends,
i start going out some more.
August rolls by, Exams are coming in like 1 month, and i gotta study.
So i start taking some holidays off to study(because basically i've been having all fun in the new school, and yes, i know, i should have studied as well :/).
And yep, you guessed right, instead of studying, i got more into programming/hacking.

Addiction.
Gaining the knowledge.
Addiction to gaining "knowledge". It was all about knowledge. You can find anything on the Internet. Unlimited knowledge is on the Internet. And everyday, i discovered new things. New things that drew myself to them.
I learned new things, i gained knowledge. I became more curious. I gained more knowledge.
I got addicted more.
It was all about gaining all the knowledge, it all enthralled me, incited me, excited me, all that knowledge.

September comes, exams! I get C as the total grade. I was sad.
October comes, i start taking more holidays, school starts warning me that i'm taking too many holidays. Still, more hacking/programming.
Btw, i forgot like, the major part of this thing.
I got secluded from my friends during this time(August and September).
They got mixed in the wrong crowds, and i didn't like the new school as well, because the teachers pester me for things and i got irritated(Because i used to stay up late or stay on computers alot, i got "irritated" very much).
I started becoming lonely. In the end, i have now only 2 friends, the others are "fake" friends, can't really trust them for anything.
And now, i'm here, from a guy who's life was amazing and he used to enjoy it to his full, to a guy who got secluded and lonely.
And some more info - I started hating my subjects, i realized every other subject sucked except Computers and English and i didn't want to do them, as it didn't have any role in enhancing my "skills".
I started hating the kids "around this year", i realized they are just butthurts, bullies and backstabbers. Because i was lonely, i lost my "strength" as well. I started getting picked on, being made fun of. Some days ago, a guy was making fun of me, i was irritated, i beat him. (Yes, i'm pretty good at standing up to myself, that's why i didn't usually got bullied/picked on in the other school). And i felt bad about it, i felt bad about beating him. I didn't really give a crap before, but now, i felt bad. I became somewhat emotional.I started hating the kids then. I eventually became a "nice guy".

So that's why i don't want to go to school.

TL;DR - 1. I am interested in Computers, and i don't like studying other subjects because eventually they won't be of use in my higher studies. (In India, there are some "compulsory" subjects, that you have to take, others are optional. ) I don't like the teachers as well, they pester/disturb a lot unlike my previous school ( because it was a big school, the teachers there didn't really give a f**k. Sorry for the swear, i felt like i needed to write it. )
2. I became very lonely, stopped going to school, realized that most of the people are butthurts, bullies, and backstabbers, so i became secluded.
3. I want to pursue in "Computers". But i don't want to go to school.
Is their any other way? And if there is a way, "by changing countries", yes i'll be willing to do that as well, as long as i will gain knowledge and won't go to school.

Btw, i might change schools in the 12th grade(Yes, India has a 12th grade, after which you go to college) so as to get in a better school.

Kudos to people who read it all. I appreciate and applaud you. Pirate

Edit : Friends are not a problem anymore, seems like i thought they were not my friends but they have been calling me a lot the previous week and asking me to go out and stuff, so i guess they believe they are my friend. Anyway, friends were never a problem. I don't like the idea of "forced education". I could go on and on about all this and stuff, but i think people may not read it all then Biggrin.

Don't want to go to school, need advice :) - AtheistLGBTQAnarchist - 11-04-2012 06:25 AM

SOCIAL STUDIES IS BLASPHEMY!

Don't want to go to school, need advice :) - SoulRiser - 11-04-2012 08:14 AM

Does homeschooling exist over there? What do your parents think about all this?

RE: Don't want to go to school, need advice :) - IamNoone - 11-04-2012 11:41 AM

ThumbsupThumbsupThumbsup
We need more people like you here.

But seriously, homeschooling. Or, I would recommend toughing it out, forcing your self to get B's then go to college for computer science. If you can land a few freelance jobs that would help you getting into college even with crap grades.

And seeing as this is your second post,
Welcome

Don't want to go to school, need advice :) - 4r4b7 - 11-04-2012 03:09 PM

Why did you feel bad about beating him?
Don't you love that feeling when you've won a fight?

Don't want to go to school, need advice :) - Ky - 11-04-2012 03:11 PM

I have a simple yet grossly ineffective idea - don't go to school.

Don't want to go to school, need advice :) - Entity - 11-05-2012 02:21 AM

Parents are supporting me, i'm thinking of doing IGCSE/Open School in which we just have to go and give the exams. We can sit at home and study and they'll provide us a tutor if we have a need.

Though it'll probably hinder my chances of going to a good university, so i'm kinda stuck in the middle right now.
India is all about academics/studies because of over-population. They demand grades. That's the main problem.
I won't be able to go to a good college if i do Open School/IGCSE ( I don't know though how much IGCSE is recognized in India right now, so can't say about IGCSE ).

I'm exploring all viable options right now though. Thanks for the replies.

Don't want to go to school, need advice :) - SoulRiser - 11-05-2012 05:58 AM

Good luck...

What kind of programming are you interested in?

RE: Don't want to go to school, need advice :) - SomeRandomHuman - 11-06-2012 07:46 AM

Good luck. But nobody will get mad at you for swearing, you didnt need to beep it out. And dont feel bad about failing, it is just some shit the system uses to brainwash you. I fail multiple subjects a year and since nearly where I live does too, if the shool held us back, there wouldnt be enough room in the lowest grades and the highest wpuld be empty! Be proud of failing! SCHOOL SUCKS! (Oh, and unrelated but to the person who thinks I died, I almost did, read my thread "I fuckin hate detroit" for an explanation on how i almost did)