School Survival Forums
My Stupid English Teacher - Printable Version

+- School Survival Forums (http://forums.school-survival.net)
+-- Forum: Learning, Youth Rights and School Survival (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: School Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: My Stupid English Teacher (/showthread.php?tid=27717)

My Stupid English Teacher - CinnamonSynonym - 10-18-2012 10:18 AM

First of all, hello. This is my first thread, and I think I read the rules thoroughly, but I might have missed something.

Anyway, 3rd hour is the only real issue I have with school at this point. I don't 'like' the rest, but it's bearable. However, in 3rd, I have ELA 9 with a teacher let's call <x>. <x> is quite literally stupid. <x> cannot pronounce several words, such as 'simultaneous', and 'foreshadowing'. <x> even spelled 'skull' wrong (assuming it's not *really* spelled 'scull'). There are a lot more examples but I can't remember them all. Also, she changes score values and due dates, usually against the students' favor.

In another case, <x> was telling us about MLA format (which I, personally, have no problem with), and <x> seemed to 'know' that MLA means that it *has* to be in Times New Roman. When reading the 'spec sheet' for MLA from the OWL Purdue site, I read *all* the words, and found that it said "[...] use a legible font (e.g. Times New Roman)." Normally, this would be fine, but <x> is a freaking *English* teacher. You'd think they'd have to read well to be a teacher, but...

So I'm going to turn in an essay in consolas (a font) and see how this goes down.

In other news, this is how the transition from unemployed to employed should go:
Boss: Hi. So, you want a job, huh?
Dude: Yep.
Boss: So, you know that we work in the field of <Q> here, right?
Dude: Right.
Boss: Do you know anything about <Q>?
Dude: Yeah! I love <Q>! Why else would I want a job here?
Boss: Okey-Dokey. You're in.

And here is how it goes now (more or less (more less and less more)):
Dude: I would like a job.
Boss: Fine. You got a diploma?
Dude: Yeppers. Got it right here.
Boss: So, why do you want to work here?
Dude: Well, it pays, right?
Boss: Yeah, I suppose so.
Dude: So....?
Boss: See ya tomorrow at 8.

RE: My Stupid English Teacher - SomeRandomHuman - 10-18-2012 10:26 AM

That teacher sounds retarded. But at least she hasnt done anything real bitchy, right? Stupid is okay, but bitchy sucks balls! And welcome to the forums!

My Stupid English Teacher - CinnamonSynonym - 10-18-2012 11:32 AM

Thanks for the welcome, and I suppose she isn't *really* bitchy, so to speak. She does, however, talk in this horrible fake joy voice. Like, you can tell she hates you but she's grinning and you can't tell if she's pretending to be happy or thinking about killing you. It's pretty annoying. But other than that, she's fine. Her teaching method doesn't really agree with me, but that's almost normal. Also, (remembering...) she wouldn't let me print out my essay (the consolas one that was actually due yesterday) when I told her I needed to. She gave the class the entire hour to annotate, edit, and revise theirs, but I just sat there, bored.

RE: My Stupid English Teacher - Heil_Kaiba8921 - 10-18-2012 12:58 PM

what a coincedence...3rd hour is my most hated class too...except i have math

My Stupid English Teacher - SoulRiser - 10-19-2012 03:16 AM

Welcome! Smile

We don't really have many rules here.

lol @ English teacher not knowing what e.g. means.

My Stupid English Teacher - CinnamonSynonym - 10-19-2012 05:52 AM

UPDATE:

We have this thingy called Edmodo, which is like facebook, without the ads (sounds good so far, right?), for schools. Basically, you add yourself to a class by typing in this code thing, and then you can see the 'discussion'. Unfortunately, there is no PM-type feature that I know of, so you say it to the whole class (including the teacher). So, this kid jst randomly types "I got it." on there. I have no idea what he's talking about, so I ask. In a more-funny-than-<x>-can-tolerate kinda way. To quote, I reply: "What is it that you have? An alligator? A cold? A snake? What kind of snake is it? Is it poisonous? Don't let it bite you if it is. You can tell by if the head is all triangly-shaped. But if it's not poisonous, it's probably a constrictor, so don't let it around your neck. Be careful." So maybe I pushed it a little, but still, even the guy who posted originally said it was funny and didn't see anything wrong with it. But, the next reply was from the teacher, telling me to see her on Friday (this was yesterday night). Like, to the whole class. Maybe she was using me as an example, but really? Maybe, of course, she wants to see me about my C- in her class, while I have high B's and low-to-mid A's everywhere else. Which might be because I hate English. I'm a right-or-wrong kinda guy, and all the relative stuff in English bothers me. <x>:"Is Lou a Static Character of a Dynamic Character?" Me:"Dynamic" <x>:"NO. Lou is a Static one because he doesn't change enough in the story." What is the barrier? Where's the line? How do you quantify opinions? Actions? Thoughts? What if my thought-value is higher than someone elses? And those themes. "Why did the author write this book?" "How am I supposed to know? I've never met him? Maybe he just wrote it to be a freaking story!! Maybe he wanted someone to sit down, have a nice snack, and enjoy the freaking story!!" (Not actual quote.) I'm fine with the spelling, grammar, etc., though, because they are absolute. Might even like 'em.

Good thing: Edmodo allows you to have a quote (selected from a predefined list) on your profile. Mine is Einstein's
"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education."

So, I'll reply if I'm still alive tomorrow...

EDIT: Holy crap that was long.

My Stupid English Teacher - GreenLamp - 10-19-2012 06:02 AM

(10-19-2012 05:52 AM)CinnamonSynonym Wrote:  UPDATE:

We have this thingy called Edmodo, which is like facebook, without the ads (sounds good so far, right?), for schools. Basically, you add yourself to a class by typing in this code thing, and then you can see the 'discussion'. Unfortunately, there is no PM-type feature that I know of, so you say it to the whole class (including the teacher). So, this kid jst randomly types "I got it." on there. I have no idea what he's talking about, so I ask. In a more-funny-than-<x>-can-tolerate kinda way. To quote, I reply: "What is it that you have? An alligator? A cold? A snake? What kind of snake is it? Is it poisonous? Don't let it bite you if it is. You can tell by if the head is all triangly-shaped. But if it's not poisonous, it's probably a constrictor, so don't let it around your neck. Be careful." So maybe I pushed it a little, but still, even the guy who posted originally said it was funny and didn't see anything wrong with it. But, the next reply was from the teacher, telling me to see her on Friday (this was yesterday night). Like, to the whole class. Maybe she was using me as an example, but really? Maybe, of course, she wants to see me about my C- in her class, while I have high B's and low-to-mid A's everywhere else. Which might be because I hate English. I'm a right-or-wrong kinda guy, and all the relative stuff in English bothers me. <x>:"Is Lou a Static Character of a Dynamic Character?" Me:"Dynamic" <x>:"NO. Lou is a Static one because he doesn't change enough in the story." What is the barrier? Where's the line? How do you quantify opinions? Actions? Thoughts? What if my thought-value is higher than someone elses? And those themes. "Why did the author write this book?" "How am I supposed to know? I've never met him? Maybe he just wrote it to be a freaking story!! Maybe he wanted someone to sit down, have a nice snack, and enjoy the freaking story!!" (Not actual quote.) I'm fine with the spelling, grammar, etc., though, because they are absolute. Might even like 'em.

Good thing: Edmodo allows you to have a quote (selected from a predefined list) on your profile. Mine is Einstein's

So, I'll reply if I'm still alive tomorrow...

EDIT: Holy crap that was long.

Don't you hate it when they make you do that? Why do they ruin books!? Why would anyone care about writing down what the climax was, and how the character felt? Those are normal things that people note to themselves as they read- there is no reason for teachers to make us answer lots of questions and dissect the book in every way imaginable. It really proves nothing and doesn't improve any skill. I also hate it when they ask "Why do you think the author wrote the book?" It's so pointless!!

I hope you make it out alive. Sounds like a bad teacher. D;

My Stupid English Teacher - AtheistLGBTQAnarchist - 10-19-2012 06:45 AM

Cool, I have Edmodo, it's exactly like a school version of Facebook, and the people there are just as ignorant.

RE: My Stupid English Teacher - SoulRiser - 10-19-2012 09:06 AM

Quote:Good thing: Edmodo allows you to have a quote (selected from a predefined list) on your profile. Mine is Einstein's
That was actually on the list? Laugh

RE: My Stupid English Teacher - Heil_Kaiba8921 - 10-19-2012 09:56 AM

hehe, greenlamp said climax (that will always be a funny word to me when i hear it, no reason other than it just sounds funny when you say it out loud)

I'm not surprised that quote was on the list, it's Einstein after all, that and the fact that schools like to make you feel like you have all kinds of freedom...but then you do one stupid thing and suddenly NO FREEDOM FOR YOU YOU WORTHLESS PIECE OF SHIT!!!

My Stupid English Teacher - AtheistLGBTQAnarchist - 10-19-2012 10:04 AM

I guess the school as usual only saw Einstein and didn't even read what it meant.

RE: My Stupid English Teacher - Heil_Kaiba8921 - 10-19-2012 10:15 AM

could also be a program that looks through the internet for x number of legitimate quotes and adds them to that list.

My Stupid English Teacher - CinnamonSynonym - 10-20-2012 05:55 AM

Turns out, I didn't 'see' her today. The guy that originally posted on edmodo deleted his comment, so I do have an excuse if it's bad that I didn't bring it up. Weird.