School Survival Forums
Cheap recipes? - Printable Version

+- School Survival Forums (http://forums.school-survival.net)
+-- Forum: The Lounge (/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Forum: General Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+---- Forum: Food & Cooking (/forumdisplay.php?fid=40)
+---- Thread: Cheap recipes? (/showthread.php?tid=27618)

Pages: 1 2

Cheap recipes? - SomeRandomHuman - 09-30-2012 01:02 PM

I am going to try to cook. The only stuff I can cook is instant ramen, tv dinners, frozen burritos, frozen pizza, basically anything microwaveable. The kitchenett in my apartment has a toaster oven, microwave and a small stove top. Are there any recipes that contain ingredients that I could get cheap? Nowadays, what I have been eating has been: breakfast: a doughnut or cookies lunch: school cafeteria on weekdays, weekends fast food, Dinner: tv dinner or instant ramen. I am curious about people talking about stuff theycook. I would like to try to cook.

RE: Cheap recipes? - Heil_Kaiba8921 - 09-30-2012 01:47 PM

Whenever I want to find something to cook i go to allrecipes.com (this would be a link if this was a full post and not a quickie) although i don't make dinner for my family, just dessert whenever i want something new (made autumn muffins today and i learned to leave the figs and cranberries out because they don't taste too great

RE: Cheap recipes? - AtheistLGBTQAnarchist - 09-30-2012 01:52 PM

Hide this from zagix.No one wants to here kitchen jokes and I'm cranky having to type with a phone.

Cheap recipes? - Ky - 10-01-2012 01:46 AM

Microwavable food rocks if you get the right kinds of taquitos, maybe some bagel bites or pizza rolls (you'll have to be a microwave master to get them at the right temperature, though), and your life might be saved if you get the microwavable version of mac n' cheese, the ones in the small containers - those would certainly be a step up from ramen.

Cheap recipes? - zagix - 10-01-2012 02:18 AM

Buy some fruits and vegetables and eat them. Come on be healthy.

RE: Cheap recipes? - AtheistLGBTQAnarchist - 10-01-2012 04:56 AM

I said HIDE this from zagix. No

Cheap recipes? - zagix - 10-01-2012 05:14 AM

Also if you can't be arsed to buy fruits and vegetables eat a multivitamin every day. Trust me you'll feel a lot better in general.

Cheap recipes? - SoulRiser - 10-01-2012 06:55 AM

Scrambled eggs is pretty easy to make, and cheap. Basically anything involving a frying pan is easy, and you can fry all kinds of things. Stir fry random vegetables, and those crumbed fish/chicken things. Also, make rice. Mashed potatoes is also easy.

Cheap recipes? - AtheistLGBTQAnarchist - 10-01-2012 08:19 AM

Make cakes,don't lie.

RE: Cheap recipes? - SomeRandomHuman - 10-04-2012 05:59 AM

(10-01-2012 02:18 AM)zagix Wrote:  Buy some fruits and vegetables and eat them. Come on be healthy.

NEVER!!!!! How do I hide it from him?

RE: Cheap recipes? - SomeRandomHuman - 10-04-2012 06:01 AM

(09-30-2012 01:47 PM)Heil_Kaiba8921 Wrote:  Whenever I want to find something to cook i go to allrecipes.com (this would be a link if this was a full post and not a quickie) although i don't make dinner for my family, just dessert whenever i want something new (made autumn muffins today and i learned to leave the figs and cranberries out because they don't taste too great

I only have to cook for myself because since this town doesnt obay the laws, I now live by myself and my "mom" is in jail.

RE: Cheap recipes? - SomeRandomHuman - 10-04-2012 06:02 AM

(10-01-2012 08:19 AM)MentalAnarchist Wrote:  Make cakes,don't lie.

I cant make cakes, I dont have an oven. And the toaster oven is miniature.

RE: Cheap recipes? - Alucard483 - 10-06-2012 03:54 PM

First off I am going to tell you to buy a spice rack, sauces, a shot glass (for measuring) and cooking wine (if you can aquire that sort of thing) or at least the following items as I referance them frequently.

Salt and Pepper (duh)
Red Pepper Flakes
Celery Seed
Oregano
Thyme
Garlic Powder
Soy Sauce
Worstershire Sauce
Tobasco
Lemon Juice
Lime Juice
Sambal (if you like spicy)

On to the recipes then..... Ahem...

A Kickass Bowl of Ramen

Ingredient List
x1 Pack of Ramen (oriental for best results)
Assorted Spices
Soy Sauce
Worstershire Sauce
Tobasco
Lemon Juice
Lime Juice
Samabl (if you like it with a delicious kick)

Step One: Boil the water with 1-2 tsp red pepper flakes, a dash of salt and a dash of the celery seed.
Step Two: While the water boils fill the shotglass half full of soy sauce and a quarter worstershire sauce. You should have 1/4 of the glass still empty. Fill the remainder of it using equal parts lemon and lime. Add some tobasco and/or Sambal for and extra kick.
Step Three: Once the water is boiling (which should now have an red-orange tint to it due to the pepper flakes) add the noodles like always and cook normally. About three minutes.
Step Four: Once the noodles are cooked add the spice packet and the flavoring shot. Stir until blended. Enjoy.

Homemade Gravy and Bread*

This is a very versitile recipe that I have. You can substitite the chicken stock and/or meat for other things. For instance if you use milk instead of stock and (pre cooked) spicy sausage you get a great breakfast gravy you can put on biscut or thicken and eat as a poridge.

Ingridient list
x1 Loaf of good quality bread**
x1/2 Stick Unsalted Butter
x1/4 Cup Flour with more to add to adjust consistancy of the roux
x1 Can chicken
x1 Can Chicken Stock
Assorted Spices

Step One: In a saute pan over low heat melt the butter. Add the first 1/4 cup of flour and stir it in, slowy adding more until a thick smooth roux has formed. (if it starts to look like dough you put to much in, I can fix it from here, but unless you know about rouxs you might as well just start over).
Step Two: Add the chicken stock slowly to the roux whilst stiring constantly but not vigourously. It should go from a thick goo like mush to a smooth gravy. The thinner you like your gravy the more stock you add.
Step Three: Once the desired thickness has been achieved add thyme, oregano, and garlic powder to your desired taste. If you bought the spice rack I also recommend you add some majoram. Any other spices you might want to add should go in now as well. Drain the can of chicken of any liquid then add that as well.
Step Four: Keep stiring over low heat until hot. Tear pieces of the bread off the loaf and dip in the gravy.

*Requires you know a bit about cooking
** Unsliced Sturdy Loaf. You can find fresh baked loaves in almost any supermarket for a dollar or two. Think baugette.

Tips:
Cook Base Ingridients in Bulk Then Hold for Later Use
Rather than buy a box of burritos get a thing of burger meat, some taco seasoning, a few packs of tortillas, some shreadded cheese and some hot sauce. Make the whole thing of meat into burrito meat and then just refriderate it and use as needed over the rest of the week. In the end you end up spending about half as much per burrito than if you bought a box of frozen ones. If you want to get fancy like I did every now and again you can even buy some rice and cook it off in advance like the meat and then refridgerate to use later. I also would buy cans of black beans and dump into a containers and refridgerate like the meat and rice to use later in the burritos as well. Out of everything, I would go through tortillas the fastest.

Make Fancy Food with Limited Equipment
From what you have told me, you could make a NICE steak dinner... assuming that the toaster oven is a toaster OVEN and not a toaster... differance being the oven can do more than just toast bread. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Using a saute pan I would sear the steak in the pan with a little bit of oil over the burner. Once seared i would transfer the steak to an oven safe dish and bake it for about 7 min. I would then add some spices and veggies to the pan I just used to make the steak (without washing the pan), probably some slices onions, mushrooms, and peppers. Deglaze with some wine, add a bit of diced tomato and heavy cream. Reduce and then season with lemon juice and worstershire. The steak would be about done by this point. Steak goes on plate top with sauce. Orgasm.

RE: Cheap recipes? - SomeRandomHuman - 10-07-2012 02:32 AM

what is sambal, thyme, oregano, and celary seed. I have salt, pepper and tobasco already. I made the gravy and bread for breakfast, and it was really good. It was so good that I ate all the gravy and the whole loaf of bread. It was pretty cheap, I only spent $1.15 on everything, includeing the bread! The homemade burritos are a great idea, I will try it later. I have a toaster oven, not a bread toaster. I think I might try to make steak dinner sometime when I feel lile splurging an a fancy meal. Good sugestions!

RE: Cheap recipes? - Ky - 10-07-2012 03:23 AM

Ah! I just remembered something that might help.

If you want to cook for yourself, try reading the following wikiHow articles (some aren't that great, but get the general idea across):

Might help conceptually - How to Be a Great Cook on a Very Low Budget
This article was featured - How to Cook for Just Yourself
Just in case - How to Survive Without Cooking
Here's an entire category on this - Category: Meal Planning
Category for quick recipes - Category: Sandwiches and Quick Meals
Category for all recipes - Category: Recipes

RE: Cheap recipes? - SomeRandomHuman - 10-07-2012 07:16 AM

Thanks DoA. I have decided to make chicken noodle soup tonight and I am going to freeze all the extra ingredients because the grocery store sells things in too big packs. I hope I dont blow anything up while I am cooking! I will use the leftover chickenstock from makeing breakfast so I only bought: a pound of dry noodles (50 cents) and a pound of chicken ($1.50). And I will have pleanty left to make something else!

Cheap recipes? - AtheistLGBTQAnarchist - 10-07-2012 07:58 AM

Get a part time job where you benefit as a female, and buy as much chicken for yourself as you can,(or maybe for me because I'm in a chicken rage!)

RE: Cheap recipes? - SomeRandomHuman - 10-07-2012 09:26 AM

^ why are you obsessing over chicken? I made the soup, and I loved it! I ate the whole gallon pot that was full of it! I know, sounds gross but I eat a lot for my size. I have gotten so fat that the health teacher has questioned me extensively.

RE: Cheap recipes? - SomeRandomHuman - 10-07-2012 12:54 PM

On friday, the health teacher tried to get me put back in gym class, even though I have a ruptured achilles and broken ankle. She thinks I am really unfit because my best mile time was 15 minutes 50 seconds. And I have been getting very fat because At the start of summer the price on candy has dropped dramaticaly. And the price on chips and soda. And I took advantage. That teacher is real dense, I have a broken ankle and ruptured achilles tendon, how can I do gum class?

Cheap recipes? - Ky - 10-07-2012 12:56 PM

Tell her you have a ruptured achilles. If she doesn't get it or keeps insisting, rupture her achilles.

RE: Cheap recipes? - Alucard483 - 10-07-2012 01:27 PM

(10-07-2012 02:32 AM)SomeRandomHuman Wrote:  what is sambal, thyme, oregano, and celery seed.
Thyme, Oregano and Celery Seed are (common)spices. You will find them in the spice asile in the supermarket.

Sambal is a fermented asian chili sauce. It will be found in the asian foods section near the siracha. $4-$8

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-c4b8b0-zXeM/UGjzvBb4h2I/AAAAAAAABLw/fR4GQfTm2q8/s1600/sambal+olek.jpg

RE: Cheap recipes? - SomeRandomHuman - 10-07-2012 10:04 PM

I saw the oregano and thyme, nothing else though. But they cost $1.00 each! Since I am going to buy so much food for my birthday, I decided to maybe buy a different day.

RE: Cheap recipes? - SomeRandomHuman - 10-07-2012 10:06 PM

(10-07-2012 12:56 PM)DoA Wrote:  Tell her you have a ruptured achilles. If she doesn't get it or keeps insisting, rupture her achilles.

I have told her that. I am tempted to do that, but she is freaky huge, and really strong so that would be way too hard.

Cheap recipes? - SoulRiser - 10-08-2012 10:40 PM

If she's going to try to make you run with a ruptured achilles and broken leg and stuff, you should report her for that. Tell the principal or something... that's not cool.

If you're into garlic, garlic bread is easy to make. Just get one of those long loaf things, mix up some butter and garlic flakes (soak the garlic flakes in warm water for a while first so they go soft), then spread that on the bread and warm it up.

RE: Cheap recipes? - SomeRandomHuman - 10-09-2012 10:47 AM

She is trying to convince the gym teacher. You are right soulriser, that is not cool. I made a loaf of garlic bread. The ingredients only cost $1! It was so tasty that I ate the entire loaf. And it was a really big one. I also had a packet of ramen with it. I know, I eat a lot.

Cheap recipes? - SoulRiser - 10-10-2012 02:14 AM

Well, you've got a lot of healing to do, so I guess your body needs the food. xD

RE: Cheap recipes? - SomeRandomHuman - 10-11-2012 10:19 AM

(10-10-2012 02:14 AM)SoulRiser Wrote:  Well, you've got a lot of healing to do, so I guess your body needs the food. xD

I hope this means my achilles tendon will heal faster. But the doctor sats I ABSOLUTELY need surgery. And for a full rupture (witch I have) recovery from surgery will be 6-9 months at the bare minimum. Ugh. Dumb health teacher is still trying, but sofar unsucessful.

Cheap recipes? - SoulRiser - 10-12-2012 12:48 AM

Hmm, well... put a rollerblade on your good foot, then use crutches to push yourself around? (I take no responsibility for crashes).... xD

RE: Cheap recipes? - SomeRandomHuman - 10-12-2012 05:52 AM

(10-12-2012 12:48 AM)SoulRiser Wrote:  Hmm, well... put a rollerblade on your good foot, then use crutches to push yourself around? (I take no responsibility for crashes).... xD

That accually is a great idea. I will try it out sometime. Because I had bought rollerskates (same as rollerblades, but wheels are in a square pattern) at a garage sale for 50 cents recently. And I am haveing an extra hard time because I now fell on my wrist and it swelled up to grapefruit size. So the rollerskate might make it much more easy to get around.

Cheap recipes? - SoulRiser - 10-12-2012 06:08 AM

lol, yeah. The square ones are a bit easier to balance on... but I'd recommend practising on a carpet first. Wouldn't want you breaking any more limbs. xD

Also, get wrist guards. Knee/elbow pads are nice too, but I'd say wrist guards are more important (they prevent you from breaking your wrists). Unless you're sliding down the asphalt at high speed anyway... then all the padding you can get is good. Razz

Maybe a skateboard would be better because you can just hop off if you lose your balance... Scratchchin