School Survival Forums
Do grades matter at ALL? - Printable Version

+- School Survival Forums (http://forums.school-survival.net)
+-- Forum: Learning, Youth Rights and School Survival (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: School Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Do grades matter at ALL? (/showthread.php?tid=27541)

Do grades matter at ALL? - GreenLamp - 09-20-2012 05:57 AM

First post Biggrin

I come with questions.

I know grades don't mean anything, as far as education goes. But what about getting a job?

1. I'm in 7th grade. Of what importance are grades in middle school? If I don't care anymore about grades, what will happen to me when I move up to high school?

2. Okay, I failed middle school. What will happen to me in high school?

3. If I drop out of high school or stop caring about grades, can I still get into college? What do I need to go to college?

I asked my parents, and all they said was that I need grades. I have no options, I cannot be home schooled. I feel dumb asking these but I'm getting from one side that grades are everything and the other side says grades mean nothing. They may not measure education, but what about jobs?

Thank you Hug

Do grades matter at ALL? - zagix - 09-20-2012 06:25 AM

1. Grades in middle school don't matter for shit except they determine future classes. But middle school is easy shit and you should get an A in everything with little work.

2. Then you'll be in SPED (read: retard) classes where you'll be even more fucking bored out of your mind and controlled

3. You'll get into a shitty community college maybe and then you'll graduate and have a shitty job.

Basically, you'll be at a point where you'll get a shitty job somewhere. There's a SMALL (VERY SMALL) chance that you'll strike it rich somehow, but you'll most likely be taking it up the ass for the rest of your life.

Do grades matter at ALL? - Ky - 09-20-2012 06:25 AM

1. Grades in middle school are of no importance, aside from occasionally dictating the complexity of future classes. Just don't fail.
2. Nothing - you'll need to repeat middle school until you get it right (or until you're 16 and can drop out).
3. You can still get into college, but most will reject you without a high school degree (there might be other means of obtaining a GED, if you're willing to do the research). Community colleges might accept you, for example.

On another note, college and high school degrees are required for most positions above entry-level - the best alternative (and also one of the hardest) is to start your own business and compete with other small business owners who may or may not have superior education to you. It is easy to fail in this field, but that's capitalism.

Just try not to fail your classes, and don't cry if you get a B+ instead of an A. Anything above a C constitutes working too hard.

Do grades matter at ALL? - GreenLamp - 09-20-2012 06:33 AM

Noooo! The system has captured me >.< I will never escape its evil grasp. I need a job D':
Thanks for the answers, I will now proceed to live my life in hell.

RE: Do grades matter at ALL? - Ky - 09-20-2012 06:34 AM

(09-20-2012 06:33 AM)GreenLamp Wrote:  Noooo! The system has captured me >.< I will never escape its evil grasp. I need a job D':
Thanks for the answers, I will now proceed to live my life in hell.
The site itself has some guides for making you the ruler of Hell.

Do grades matter at ALL? - GreenLamp - 09-20-2012 06:39 AM

Thanks, will look at Biggrin

RE: Do grades matter at ALL? - zagix - 09-20-2012 07:24 AM

My advice is to smoke weed.

Do grades matter at ALL? - GreenLamp - 09-20-2012 07:30 AM

LOL Drugs gross me out Razz And if I get caught D':

Do grades matter at ALL? - SoulRiser - 09-20-2012 08:29 AM

They only matter for 3 things...

1. Going to college (but they won't give a rat's ass about any except your last set of grades ever)
2. Impressing your parents (lol)
3. Getting a job (mostly only if you didn't go to college, if you did, most employers would be far more interested in how you did in college, as well as the other relevant stuff you put on your CV/resume thing)

Do grades matter at ALL? - GreenLamp - 09-20-2012 11:27 AM

Thank you Smile

I'm thinking of things to do with my future. Hmmm

RE: Do grades matter at ALL? - Heil_Kaiba8921 - 09-20-2012 11:44 AM

You can get into any college you want, you just have to watch out for the campus security personnel...and if you want to be enrolled, then you just need enough money to buy your way into college essentially, there are families that donate $60K a year because their student got accepted, now if your family donates probably a minimum of $120K then I think you will have a spot in their somewhere, especially if you do it in person.

RE: Do grades matter at ALL? - GreenLamp - 09-20-2012 11:58 AM

(09-20-2012 11:44 AM)Heil_Kaiba8921 Wrote:  You can get into any college you want, you just have to watch out for the campus security personnel...
loool
(09-20-2012 11:44 AM)Heil_Kaiba8921 Wrote:  and if you want to be enrolled, then you just need enough money to buy your way into college essentially, there are families that donate $60K a year because their student got accepted, now if your family donates probably a minimum of $120K then I think you will have a spot in their somewhere, especially if you do it in person.
Cool, but I don't think we have enough money for that option >.<

Do grades matter at ALL? - Ky - 09-20-2012 11:59 AM

^ Wait, doesn't SoulRiser have some options within her sig? Check one of the posts above for it.

RE: Do grades matter at ALL? - SomeRandomHuman - 09-20-2012 01:03 PM

I dont think grades in middle school will matter much. But I am in middle school (8th grade) and they almost held me back last year. (well I was failing every class but one). Just pass, and it will be fine.

Do grades matter at ALL? - GreenLamp - 09-21-2012 05:06 AM

Thanks for the advice/answers! Biggrin
I don't know how I will survive the boredom. I will figure something out.
Now that I know school isn't for an education, it's extremely difficult to give a crap.

On a side note:
PARENTS!!!
Tried so hard to expose them to the truth. They have a built in immunity to it. They are completely brainwashed, I was told I am delusional and have mental problems. They just don't care. My mom is a terrible debater, at the end of my speech she was telling me to shut up over and over because she had nothing to say. They just can't accept the truth.

RE: Do grades matter at ALL? - guts12 - 09-21-2012 06:52 AM

As a group, we need to have children. Then, we can share their pain, and hopefully share the good word. We have a responsibility to Change the world. Plus, I'm offering pie-flavoured cookies to the person who gets in the news because of something on here. I'm talking proper news, not local news.

RE: Do grades matter at ALL? - Heil_Kaiba8921 - 09-21-2012 06:56 AM

let's hope it's not me because if it is me then there is the very slight possibility that the site will be in jeopardy...how about if fagix gets on world news for something?

RE: Do grades matter at ALL? - j.sch.88 - 09-21-2012 07:16 AM

When I was in middle school, I believed that grades did not mean anything.
I now hold a Bacholor's degree, (I finished 4 years of college) and I am unemployed. Here are a few things I learned along the way:

1. Grades may not be the BEST representation of what one learned.
One can work very hard, learn a TON and still earn a "C," while another can memorize some factoids for 10 minutes and earn an "A." It is not a perfect system. I'm sorry.

2. Grades are important!
At my high school, the salutatiorian (2nd in my graduation class) perfected the art of MEMORIZE and REGURGITATE. She worked very hard, earned very good grades, but did not challenge herself to THINK.
I, on the other hand, tried new things. I took English classes, Pre-Calculus and Physics just for the challenge and fun of learning something new. I didn't care if I got a "C" as long as I knew I was learning.
Guess who has a job -- and who doesn't?

3. Grades tell important people (like college admissions, and potential employers) a couple of important traits about YOU.
-You FINISH your work
-You DO YOUR BEST at your work
-You submit your work ON TIME
(Even though you didn't enjoy it)

Those traits are what you need employers to know.

By all means, challenge yourself and learn like crazy. But don't neglect the "grades." They tell people more than you may realize, from your middle-school point of view.

Do grades matter at ALL? - GreenLamp - 09-21-2012 10:15 AM

j.sch.88- Thanks for the insight!! I understand what you are saying. Though some of my classes are very restricted to doing what is told.

For example- math class. The teacher said, in the beginning, that the learning would be very based on our own interests. I was extremely happy!! But what she meant to say was "here is a packet of activities, you do the ones you want in whatever order and you should get pretty much all of it done by the end of the week".
I will try to make it work :3

Jollychimp- I can only imagine ):

RE: Do grades matter at ALL? - guts12 - 09-22-2012 06:21 AM

(09-21-2012 06:56 AM)Heil_Kaiba8921 Wrote:  let's hope it's not me because if it is me then there is the very slight possibility that the site will be in jeopardy...how about if fagix gets on world news for something?

I'm offering pie flavooured cookies. Pie flavoured. Does that mean nothing to you! PIE FLAVOURED COOKIES!!!

Do grades matter at ALL? - Ky - 09-22-2012 06:22 AM

^ What about pie-flavored pie?

RE: Do grades matter at ALL? - Heil_Kaiba8921 - 09-22-2012 06:44 AM

I do not want pie-flavored anything, bacon-flavored anything(i would sooner kill myself), or vegetable-flavored anything...so my answer is no, it means nothing to me

Do grades matter at ALL? - Ky - 09-22-2012 11:36 AM

^ You hate pie flavor and bacon flavor? What?

Although, I'm with you on the rabbit-food-flavor.

RE: Do grades matter at ALL? - Heil_Kaiba8921 - 09-22-2012 12:06 PM

It's not that i don't like vegetables, it's that the only vegetable I have on occasion is baby cut carrots...so yea, no veggies...and I've never liked bacon, but my dad n sister did(which is weird bc apparently if my sister said it was good then i liked it)and I've just always said no to pie...blame my sister maybe?

Do grades matter at ALL? - AtheistLGBTQAnarchist - 09-22-2012 12:10 PM

Don't worry,I'm in LISA Acadamy in 6th grade.School is easy for me and I barely try.Maybe that's just me.Deny everything authority tells you because almost no authority deserves authority.Always remember the sentence I said right before this one.