School Survival Forums
How to Always Have Something Better to Talk About Than the Weather - Printable Version

+- School Survival Forums (http://forums.school-survival.net)
+-- Forum: The Lounge (/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Forum: General Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+---- Forum: Philosophy, Politics & History (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+---- Thread: How to Always Have Something Better to Talk About Than the Weather (/showthread.php?tid=27492)

How to Always Have Something Better to Talk About Than the Weather - Miller0700 - 09-13-2012 02:31 PM

It's pretty long, but interesting enough to finish.

http://www.raptitude.com/2009/04/how-to-always-have-something-better-to-talk-about-than-the-weather/

RE: How to Always Have Something Better to Talk About Than the Weather - LOON_ATTIC - 09-13-2012 04:08 PM

Wow, that's really relevant to me... thanks for linking.

How to Always Have Something Better to Talk About Than the Weather - SoulRiser - 09-14-2012 12:07 AM

Thanks for the link. Very simple... just find out what people care about and get them to talk about that. I like simple. I've always sucked at starting conversations...

How to Always Have Something Better to Talk About Than the Weather - Ky - 09-14-2012 06:28 AM

Weather's nice today.

RE: How to Always Have Something Better to Talk About Than the Weather - guts12 - 09-14-2012 07:31 AM

I prefer to wait until the conversation is started by them, or to talk about what I'm thinking at that point. Fool proof system!

How to Always Have Something Better to Talk About Than the Weather - Ky - 09-14-2012 07:34 AM

The clouds are all nice and puffy, but it's not raining and the sun is still illuminating everything.

RE: How to Always Have Something Better to Talk About Than the Weather - Miller0700 - 09-14-2012 07:43 AM

I get irritated if I have to stat and continue a conversation.

How to Always Have Something Better to Talk About Than the Weather - Ky - 09-14-2012 08:02 AM

There might be a light sprinkling in the next county over, but the sun sure is bright. It's making the sidewalk all hot.

RE: How to Always Have Something Better to Talk About Than the Weather - IamNoone - 09-14-2012 09:00 AM

"Anything you say is a liability.  Every statement makes you a target for scrutiny.  Every question you ask reveals your ignorance.  Every passion you confess opens you up to ridicule.  Better to say nothing."

This is still true for me most of the time, but I guess I just haven't learned yet. There have been times I slipped or even times when people twist my words that have haunted me for years and years.

How to Always Have Something Better to Talk About Than the Weather - Ky - 09-14-2012 11:13 AM

Anything you say is a liability to whatever you're challenging, as well. Every statement makes the people you speak against possible targets for scrutiny, too. Every question you ask prompts an answer. Every passion you confess opens you up to a greater knowledge of those who share your passions. It's better to speak than to say nothing.

RE: How to Always Have Something Better to Talk About Than the Weather - IamNoone - 09-14-2012 12:35 PM

^^ I regret not being quieter, actually, not being more social. I have an ability to see everything about a person, what they think of me, what they think of others, what they think of themselves. It hurts, because I see what everyone thinks about me written on their face. I always wonder whether I should even try to make or keep any of my "freinds" or just that three or four that really like me.

How to Always Have Something Better to Talk About Than the Weather - SoulRiser - 09-14-2012 11:04 PM

Yeah, quality > quantity. If someone doesn't like what you say and turns on you because of it, they weren't really a good friend anyway. Better to be alone than around people who don't appreciate you for who you really are...