School Survival Forums
Sociology project could be interesting - Printable Version

+- School Survival Forums (http://forums.school-survival.net)
+-- Forum: Learning, Youth Rights and School Survival (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Homework Help & Answers (/forumdisplay.php?fid=30)
+--- Thread: Sociology project could be interesting (/showthread.php?tid=25593)

Sociology project could be interesting - thewake - 03-28-2012 07:35 AM

So, in my dual credit sociology class we have to do this project where we have to become a member of an outgroup in public for three hours and then write a paper about it.

Quote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ingroups_and_outgroups
In sociology and social psychology, ingroups and outgroups are social groups to which an individual feels as though he or she belongs as a member, or (for outgroups) to which they feel contempt, opposition, or a desire to compete. People tend to hold positive attitudes towards members of their own groups, a phenomenon known as ingroup bias.

Most of my peers are dressing up like goths, being "homeless," or rolling around Wal-Mart in a wheelchair. I wanted to do something different, but my best idea was becoming a ginger. That's retarded.

So, since all of you guys are weird anyway, I was wondering if any of you had some (actual and good) ideas.

RE: Sociology project could be interesting - Miller0700 - 03-28-2012 07:42 AM

Be a politician.

RE: Sociology project could be interesting - Absnt - 03-28-2012 07:43 AM

Best one I can think of is, gasp, for you to become a communist. The vast majority of americans are capitalists and shit, so being a communist would make you apart of an outgroup. So wear a communist flag shirt, or you could do atheism and wear an atheist T shirt, or something.

Meh.

RE: Sociology project could be interesting - thewake - 03-28-2012 07:47 AM

(03-28-2012 07:43 AM)Absentinsomniac Wrote:  Best one I can think of is, gasp, for you to become a communist. The vast majority of americans are capitalists and shit, so being a communist would make you apart of an outgroup. So wear a communist flag shirt, or you could do atheism and wear an atheist T shirt, or something.

Meh.

I wonder what my mother would think about that...

In fact, I was contemplating pretending to be a homosexual for the period, but I knew for a fact that my parents wouldn't approve of that. I really like the idea of doing something controversial, but I feel like my traditionalist parents would get in the way.

And I don't want to be an atheist. That might just tip them off.

(03-28-2012 07:42 AM)Derchin Wrote:  Be a politician.
Lol.

RE: Sociology project could be interesting - Absnt - 03-28-2012 07:52 AM

That's what I was thinking. I wonder if I'll have to do something like this, since I'm in a psych class.

RE: Sociology project could be interesting - thewake - 03-28-2012 07:57 AM

(03-28-2012 07:52 AM)Absentinsomniac Wrote:  That's what I was thinking. I wonder if I'll have to do something like this, since I'm in a psych class.

I doubt it. Psychology has less to do with interactions with other people.

RE: Sociology project could be interesting - Absnt - 03-28-2012 08:13 AM

Good point. Perhaps when I'm in college, then. But I doubt that too, since my sister didn't, and I think she was in a sociology class.

RE: Sociology project could be interesting - SaintVicious - 03-28-2012 08:45 AM

Become black, I am not kidding. If you can really pull it off you will see a huge difference on how people treat you.

RE: Sociology project could be interesting - Miller0700 - 03-28-2012 09:32 AM

Hell, be a woman.

RE: Sociology project could be interesting - Sociopath - 03-28-2012 01:19 PM

I misread your title to be "Scientology." Lol, so maybe you should become one?

RE: Sociology project could be interesting - Miller0700 - 03-28-2012 01:38 PM

lol that's what I assumed for a second too.

RE: Sociology project could be interesting - bulgarianlion - 03-28-2012 03:47 PM

Be necrophile

RE: Sociology project could be interesting - thewake - 03-29-2012 06:39 AM

(03-28-2012 08:45 AM)SaintVicious Wrote:  Become black, I am not kidding. If you can really pull it off you will see a huge difference on how people treat you.

I really would like to do that, but how?

RE: Sociology project could be interesting - SaintVicious - 03-29-2012 06:42 AM

(03-29-2012 06:39 AM)Weswammy Wrote:  
(03-28-2012 08:45 AM)SaintVicious Wrote:  Become black, I am not kidding. If you can really pull it off you will see a huge difference on how people treat you.

um maybe a well designed mask, or some hella good makeup, wiggs shit man CHANNEL THE INNER NIGRA

RE: Sociology project could be interesting - thewake - 03-29-2012 06:44 AM

(03-29-2012 06:42 AM)SaintVicious Wrote:  
(03-29-2012 06:39 AM)Weswammy Wrote:  

um maybe a well designed mask, or some hella good makeup, wiggs shit man CHANNEL THE INNER NIGRA

Or is there another ethnic minority that would be easier to pull off? (Keep in my I'm a member of the blonde haired, blue eyed master race).

RE: Sociology project could be interesting - SaintVicious - 03-29-2012 07:03 AM

become a beaner then, but you wont get the full effect without being a nig nog

RE: Sociology project could be interesting - thewake - 03-30-2012 06:44 AM

I still have no idea what I want to do.

RE: Sociology project could be interesting - Mælstrom - 03-30-2012 07:02 AM

Have you thought of pretending to be an Amish person? They're considered outsiders by much of society, and live in ways considered abnormal and primitive by the general populace.

RE: Sociology project could be interesting - thewake - 03-30-2012 07:10 AM

(03-30-2012 07:02 AM)Mælstrom Wrote:  Have you thought of pretending to be an Amish person? They're considered outsiders by much of society, and live in ways considered abnormal and primitive by the general populace.
That's a good idea, but might be embarrassing if I ran into an actual Amish person. I'd actually thought about it and ruled it out, but now that you brought it up again I'll keep it in mind.

RE: Sociology project could be interesting - IamNoone - 03-31-2012 12:47 AM

Go to school as a high school student, there is nothing that you can be more opposed to.

Or maybe a Jehova's witness.

RE: Sociology project could be interesting - M3116 - 04-27-2012 11:17 PM

Be a Muslim.