School Survival Forums
Is my First Amendment being taken away? - Printable Version

+- School Survival Forums (http://forums.school-survival.net)
+-- Forum: Learning, Youth Rights and School Survival (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Youth Rights (/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Is my First Amendment being taken away? (/showthread.php?tid=23549)

Pages: 1 2 3

Is my First Amendment being taken away? - Avi-Bird - 01-09-2012 06:11 AM

Id first like to say, i hate schools with all my heart and soul. every little bit of it. I've also experianced the tyranny in schools. With that said and what Im about to post, let me know does the school have ANY LEGAL right to "punish" me for speaking my mind? Here we go:

I sent an e-mail to a counselor about changing my lunch period. I had 6th P lunch and now i have 4th P(period) lunch. This counselor, and another teacher, have given me crap before. Like one time I told th counselor, I honestly want to drop out. Im 17. I legally can with parents consent. School is hell for me. I LEARN MORE at home THAN at school. I learn about REAL stuff. Not x-*z^3. Like what the hell is that crap? Hows that gunna benefit me with making a tea company online on "etsy" an artsy version of ebay basically. OR making music, or doing make up and hair (the counselor said i cannot do tech campus cosmetology because "i dont attend school like a regular student, and i dont think that your "pattern" will change by next year, so im saying No." LIKE how f*cking judgmental is that?!! My 1 teacher LAUGHED at me because I told her I wanted to drop out and be free, and make a tea company online. These teachers have NO respect for me. So I asked this woman, if she'd change my lunch. Heres what I said and what went down:
ME: Hi. Id like you to switch my lunch from 4th period to 6th period. Reason being is i have no one to sit with there, i know nobdy in there. And I wont alienate myself and be lonley like in catholic private school like how i did for 5-8th grade. My brother has 6th. my friends have 6th. I dont know what was wrong with 6ths and why you changed it, but i do not like tha change and if me staying in school means making my own rules, then so be it. would you rather have me in school, and get your greedy money for each kid that attends school like the slaves We are, or would you want me gone? i thought so. thank you, with sincere thanks, Av (NOT MY LEGAL NAME- JUST FOR PROTECTION!!).

RE: Because you failed US History, you need to retake it. You will retake it during your supervised study class, and that is only available 6th period.

ME- They can put me on a laptop 4th period in a room or even in the main office area by student services or the library. there are multiple computers available always in both rooms. More so in the office than the library though. I refuse to be alone and uncomfortable.

RE: I cannot do that. It needs to be a supervised room. Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T (side comment- how professional. replying from a phone...)

ME- Why supervised? Am i being monitored by you guys now? For what? because im such a bad kid, right? For being creative and wanting equal rights and to feel normal for once instead of a RETARD, like how you guys are treating me. I aint buying this. (i was furious at this point)

RE: We are a public school and every student needs to be in an assigned room every period during the day. There is no way around that and you need to be in a classroom. Any further discussion should be directed to Ms. ****** or Ms. *****. (blocked out their names for protection, so no one bitches)

This counselor FW these messages to my "special ed manager" and my "SP-ED manager/teacher" said those messages were rude, we dont care what you think or say, the decision is final. bla bla bla. I FWd these messages to your dean so there can be further disciplinary action. You NEED to write an apology when you get home, it was rude and disgusting what you wrote.

So, I wrote a peppy little apology just so they'd stop bitching like tyrants:
ME- Listen. The past 2 days, and I dont mean this to be an excuse. But but past 2 days, my anxiety levels have been beyond breaking point. Shaking in class and nervousness. Im at my breaking point with the school. I didnt mean to take it out directly on you. But I personally have had a bad experience in past 2 schools and this place makes me relive the nightmare. I know your not a counselor nor do you want to hear my woe is me petty story. But thats the truth. I should of approached this situation differently, yes, and I acted in the moment, compulsively. I always do. Nothing has changed it. All I wanted was to get my the 6th period lunch back to be with my friends and my own brother. I hate being alone. Loneliness isnt good for anyone, period. As for any disciplinary action, i guess thats up to the dean, but I dont think there will be any need for that. The more people "bug" me about the past incident, which this is, the more raged i become and the more i begin to steam. I honestly think this is it. Its done. Its over. I told you what I had to say, Mrs.*** told me. You told me, on the emails. To make things easier, I personally think it'd be best to forgive, forget, move on for a new year. But thats just me. I hope you accept my apology and we just move on because I hate, hate, absolutely hate, dealing with stuff thats already in the past, even if i caused it.

So With all this said. Is my first amendment being taken away in anyway? I used my OWN computer to type the message on a email from MICROSOFT Outlook, not a school domain email. it was made FOR the school but MICROSOFT owns it technically. And I only spoke my mind. There were no threats. Just very strong opinions. Maybe offensive to some people, but nothing that disrupted class or posed a threat to anyone. I wrote these on my own time and in my house on my own laptop i bought with my own money. So as far as any legal action with "any further discipline" action, would it even BE LEGAL for them to DO ANYTHING to me, such as detention, saturday school (i have no idea why saturday schools are even legal...), suspension or expulsion? let me know what you guys think. Also forgot to mention, im a Jr. half way thru the school year

RE: Is my First Amendment being taken away? - Prince Rilian - 01-09-2012 06:20 AM

The schools I went to decided that the students don't get free speech. I don't know how they justify that to themselves.

RE: Is my First Amendment being taken away? - Avi-Bird - 01-09-2012 06:24 AM

yeah and this is a public school. i dont understand what i did wrong other than speak my mind, obscene/offensive or not, i spoke my mind.

RE: Is my First Amendment being taken away? - UnschoolShqiponjë - 01-09-2012 06:41 AM

You were not being rude. At all.

Fucking jesus I hate the educational system.

RE: Is my First Amendment being taken away? - Avi-Bird - 01-09-2012 06:51 AM

i honestly regret writing that apology knowing i did nothing wrong. i hate fear mongers. i just need to know what to do if they threaten me with some sort of punishment...because i know this school. they'll do anything to make me look like a bad kid

RE: Is my First Amendment being taken away? - UnschoolShqiponjë - 01-09-2012 07:55 AM

(01-09-2012 06:51 AM)Avi-Bird Wrote:  i honestly regret writing that apology knowing i did nothing wrong. i hate fear mongers. i just need to know what to do if they threaten me with some sort of punishment...because i know this school. they'll do anything to make me look like a bad kid

Unless your parents are on your side and you can get a good lawyer then there isn't much you can do. I guess if you could get the students on your side and protest.

RE: Is my First Amendment being taken away? - Avi-Bird - 01-09-2012 08:00 AM

I dont think they'd side with me, they buy what the teachers say. no one sees what I see when i look at a school and this educational system. as for students, they dont care what i have to say. to them im a "faggot, freak, weird" because im bisexual and a free spirit. they wont listen. no one does.

RE: Is my First Amendment being taken away? - Avi-Bird - 01-09-2012 08:03 AM

and besides half the kids at the school are cosmically aware/advanced like i am. they buy and eat the BS school sells and feeds them....they'er ignorant and get dumbed down without even noticing it..i mean i dont want to sound like im a perfect kid because, haha, im FAR from perfect. but i feel more advanced, gifted, not in a handicapped way.

RE: Is my First Amendment being taken away? - Desu - 01-09-2012 08:24 AM

Lol. You can't fight school. You're a minor, the bill of rights don't apply to you until you turn 18. Your parents and the school essentially own you until that time. I'm sorry but that's reality. Also, because you're a minor and a student of the public school system, you're not going to be taken seriously on any kind of level, be it social, intellectual, or emotional. From the adult point of view, you were being defiant because they told you what was going to happen and how it was going to be, and you argued with them. They don't want to hear it, they don't give a shit about you. You're just the nuisance they have to put up with for their paycheck. It's bad enough dealing with parents and other bureaucracy anyway, they made you write an apology because they want to let you know who's boss around here and they won't tolerate people trying to be special or unique because it's just another hassle they have to put up with.

You're a piece of trash in their eyes. Deal with it.

RE: Is my First Amendment being taken away? - Avi-Bird - 01-09-2012 08:28 AM

I know im trash and nothing else to school Smile im just some annoying pest and your right. they just put up with me so they get paid. but im not taking it from them. and as far as im concerned, i was an american born citizen. the bill of rights can apply to anyone. everyone deserves freedom. its about time i got mine. thanks :]

RE: Is my First Amendment being taken away? - UnschoolShqiponjë - 01-09-2012 08:56 AM

I agree with everything Desu says except the "deal with it" part.

Fight till the end if that is your wish. Do you plan on having kids? Most here don't, I do and I will hang myself before I force them to school. I will shoot myself before I treat them like most adults treat kids.

Treat your kids with the respect that you deserve now. Give them the freedom (and the responsibility) that you deserve now, because right now you can't do much.

RE: Is my First Amendment being taken away? - Avi-Bird - 01-09-2012 08:58 AM

do i plan on having children? no. atleast not at this age. maybe when im 30-50. but as of now? heck no. i want to live my life. but i agree. if i have kids, no way in hell would i sell their soul to the school.

RE: Is my First Amendment being taken away? - UnschoolShqiponjë - 01-09-2012 09:00 AM

I didn't mean now lol I meant years from now. I am 23 and I am not planning on having kids for maybe another 10 years.

RE: Is my First Amendment being taken away? - Avi-Bird - 01-09-2012 09:09 AM

haha i figured that much man. but i get what your saying. i wouldnt ever send them to school. never. i dont want to go myself. so why would i make them suffer too? i wouldnt.

RE: Is my First Amendment being taken away? - UnschoolShqiponjë - 01-09-2012 09:15 AM

Be careful. A lot of people feel the same way but when they get older (and the longer they are away from compulsory schooling) they start forgetting and thinking that kids just need to go.

I am going to live an unschooling life with my kids. That may mean they want to try school and I'll let them, but they will have no pressure or obligation to remain there.

RE: Is my First Amendment being taken away? - Avi-Bird - 01-09-2012 09:20 AM

thats the way i am. they can learn their abcs and numbers, the BASICS of a human education. history science math and english. once they hit high school, they can leave if they want. something like that. thats how i'd do it...something like that..nothing forceful...though id try to find a liberal school..or some kind of home school or unschool group...of open minded parents

RE: Is my First Amendment being taken away? - zagix - 01-09-2012 09:31 AM

Man your counselor is a bitch.

Mine is one of the nicest people I know

RE: Is my First Amendment being taken away? - gore goroth - 01-09-2012 09:33 AM

(01-09-2012 09:20 AM)Avi-Bird Wrote:  thats the way i am. they can learn their abcs and numbers, the BASICS of a human education. history science math and english. once they hit high school, they can leave if they want. something like that. thats how i'd do it...something like that..nothing forceful...though id try to find a liberal school..or some kind of home school or unschool group...of open minded parents

You don't even have to do that. You could just unschool them completely and sign up for some homeschooling program. All you gotta do is write down what they learned or did every month or something like that and you can still get away with 100% unschooling of your child.

RE: Is my First Amendment being taken away? - Avi-Bird - 01-09-2012 09:38 AM

(01-09-2012 09:31 AM)zagix Wrote:  Man your counselor is a bitch.

Mine is one of the nicest people I know

I know v_v'......at our school, fresh/soph have their own campus, jr/seniors have their own. my fresh/soph counselor was nice..this one...idk..she only cares about you if u wanna go to a big college. if ur creative and a free spirit, its buzz off, your a nobody, get out of my office, basically.

RE: Is my First Amendment being taken away? - Avi-Bird - 01-09-2012 09:40 AM

(01-09-2012 09:33 AM)gore goroth Wrote:  
(01-09-2012 09:20 AM)Avi-Bird Wrote:  thats the way i am. they can learn their abcs and numbers, the BASICS of a human education. history science math and english. once they hit high school, they can leave if they want. something like that. thats how i'd do it...something like that..nothing forceful...though id try to find a liberal school..or some kind of home school or unschool group...of open minded parents

You don't even have to do that. You could just unschool them completely and sign up for some homeschooling program. All you gotta do is write down what they learned or did every month or something like that and you can still get away with 100% unschooling of your child.

i tried to tell my mom to unschool me. shes like no thats the stupidest thing ever...im like thanks....rather have me be miserable, huh? Razz

RE: Is my First Amendment being taken away? - UnschoolShqiponjë - 01-09-2012 09:42 AM

The basics of "human education" are the basics of human life. School need not apply. The only time my kids will go to school is if they ask. Otherwise everything taught in school (up until college at least) can be learned at home or in some other way.

RE: Is my First Amendment being taken away? - Avi-Bird - 01-09-2012 09:55 AM

how do i tell my mom i want to drop out then? because i dont want to be miserable anymore. honestly, i nearly ended my life because of school. because of these teachers and authority that put me through hell since 5th grade till now. its not worth it. its not worth going to school then having my mom find me tied to a cord or something. and no. i wont kill myself or anything. im much stronger now. that was a long long time ago. im better than that. i know that if i can win this battle with school, i will be stronger and better than ever. but you get the idea. if school drives someone to actually commit suicide, then something is wrong, and if a kid wants to stop being miserable and be happy then whats wrong with that? if i honestly dropped out, i would be happier. i would work. on my music, art, and tea company. id do community services. clean streams of water, and forests. work at forest preserves. do recycling jobs. more kinda "green"/ "free spirited" work in the community. something to benefit everyone, not just a greedy ego and a hungry wallet. i could care less about money. sure, i guess we all need it, but we can do without a lot of it in a sense. work together and for free. my music will be a major career though. its more important to me than school. but my moms health and my health is more important than my music. my medical conditions with weight problems is devastating. im 17 and 86 lbs. when im home, i eat like a sumo dude. but at school, i gt 1 sandwich and thats it. no hour lunch to feast. health starts at home. and health and life vitality is the most important thing EVER. if you dont have good health, then how are you gunna live? fix health now and not pay the doctor bills later if you didnt fix your health. i dont want to see my mom die. thats one reason i want to drop out. i know ALOT about natural medicine. when im at school, i fear the worst. i need to be home to take care of my mom when she needs help, and i need to live my life, stress free. which school causes about 95% of it. the 5% being mine and my moms health. im just some stupid kids like how the school thinks.

RE: Is my First Amendment being taken away? - gore goroth - 01-09-2012 09:58 AM

(01-09-2012 09:55 AM)Avi-Bird Wrote:  how do i tell my mom i want to drop out then? because i dont want to be miserable anymore. honestly, i nearly ended my life because of school. because of these teachers and authority that put me through hell since 5th grade till now. its not worth it. its not worth going to school then having my mom find me tied to a cord or something. and no. i wont kill myself or anything. im much stronger now. that was a long long time ago. im better than that. i know that if i can win this battle with school, i will be stronger and better than ever. but you get the idea. if school drives someone to actually commit suicide, then something is wrong, and if a kid wants to stop being miserable and be happy then whats wrong with that? if i honestly dropped out, i would be happier. i would work. on my music, art, and tea company. id do community services. clean streams of water, and forests. work at forest preserves. do recycling jobs. more kinda "green"/ "free spirited" work in the community. something to benefit everyone, not just a greedy ego and a hungry wallet. i could care less about money. sure, i guess we all need it, but we can do without a lot of it in a sense. work together and for free. my music will be a major career though. its more important to me than school. but my moms health and my health is more important than my music. my medical conditions with weight problems is devastating. im 17 and 86 lbs. when im home, i eat like a sumo dude. but at school, i gt 1 sandwich and thats it. no hour lunch to feast. health starts at home. and health and life vitality is the most important thing EVER. if you dont have good health, then how are you gunna live? fix health now and not pay the doctor bills later if you didnt fix your health. i dont want to see my mom die. thats one reason i want to drop out. i know ALOT about natural medicine. when im at school, i fear the worst. i need to be home to take care of my mom when she needs help, and i need to live my life, stress free. which school causes about 95% of it. the 5% being mine and my moms health. im just some stupid kids like how the school thinks.
I gave my mom some reading material to prove school is bullshit and doesn't teach me anything.
I suggest Gatto or a book called "How to drop out and get a real education" or something like that I can't remember the name of the author.

RE: Is my First Amendment being taken away? - Avi-Bird - 01-09-2012 10:24 AM

(01-09-2012 09:58 AM)gore goroth Wrote:  
(01-09-2012 09:55 AM)Avi-Bird Wrote:  how do i tell my mom i want to drop out then? because i dont want to be miserable anymore. honestly, i nearly ended my life because of school. because of these teachers and authority that put me through hell since 5th grade till now. its not worth it. its not worth going to school then having my mom find me tied to a cord or something. and no. i wont kill myself or anything. im much stronger now. that was a long long time ago. im better than that. i know that if i can win this battle with school, i will be stronger and better than ever. but you get the idea. if school drives someone to actually commit suicide, then something is wrong, and if a kid wants to stop being miserable and be happy then whats wrong with that? if i honestly dropped out, i would be happier. i would work. on my music, art, and tea company. id do community services. clean streams of water, and forests. work at forest preserves. do recycling jobs. more kinda "green"/ "free spirited" work in the community. something to benefit everyone, not just a greedy ego and a hungry wallet. i could care less about money. sure, i guess we all need it, but we can do without a lot of it in a sense. work together and for free. my music will be a major career though. its more important to me than school. but my moms health and my health is more important than my music. my medical conditions with weight problems is devastating. im 17 and 86 lbs. when im home, i eat like a sumo dude. but at school, i gt 1 sandwich and thats it. no hour lunch to feast. health starts at home. and health and life vitality is the most important thing EVER. if you dont have good health, then how are you gunna live? fix health now and not pay the doctor bills later if you didnt fix your health. i dont want to see my mom die. thats one reason i want to drop out. i know ALOT about natural medicine. when im at school, i fear the worst. i need to be home to take care of my mom when she needs help, and i need to live my life, stress free. which school causes about 95% of it. the 5% being mine and my moms health. im just some stupid kids like how the school thinks.
I gave my mom some reading material to prove school is bullshit and doesn't teach me anything.
I suggest Gatto or a book called "How to drop out and get a real education" or something like that I can't remember the name of the author.

ill have to check that book out.

RE: Is my First Amendment being taken away? - Phrozen_Soul - 01-09-2012 10:46 AM

This makes me want to write a rant.

RE: Is my First Amendment being taken away? - Avi-Bird - 01-09-2012 10:58 AM

(01-09-2012 10:46 AM)Phrozen_Soul Wrote:  This makes me want to write a rant.

feel free to rant here buddy. im here to listen and talk. :]

RE: Is my First Amendment being taken away? - UnschoolShqiponjë - 01-09-2012 11:32 AM

Gatto might be too radical for her. Alfie Kohn is good to start with. He was the one who got me to start questioning school.

RE: Is my First Amendment being taken away? - Avi-Bird - 01-09-2012 11:35 AM

hah ill check em' all out man. ill read em' first and see which would suit her best! thank you for the suggestions. greatly appreciated.

RE: Is my First Amendment being taken away? - Avi-Bird - 01-09-2012 03:56 PM

It seems like im not getting my main question answers...not to say im mad about not getting it answered or anything i was just wondering....can they punish me? all i did was speak my mind. i dont know about getting a lawyer because i have no idea what they will do tomorrow, if anything. im planning on avoiding the office for a week. just go to class and stay away from the people that would try to discipline me. can they even get the police involved?

RE: Is my First Amendment being taken away? - TheCancer - 01-09-2012 07:29 PM

Quote:can they punish me?

Of course. You're being punished every second that you spend there against your will. In your situation you might win a battle but probably won't since they make all the rules and can usually bend them to cover anything they want. The war was already lost when you first showed up for kindergarten.