School Survival Forums
So my mom is a college professor - Printable Version

+- School Survival Forums (http://forums.school-survival.net)
+-- Forum: Learning, Youth Rights and School Survival (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: School Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: So my mom is a college professor (/showthread.php?tid=22468)

So my mom is a college professor - Prince Rilian - 11-03-2011 01:27 PM

And she's always saying how "some people" just shouldn't be allowed to go to college.

I think that's bullshit.

I agree with her that the classes should not be dumbed down for the stupid people.... If you're stupid, you have to work harder. Sorry.

But to say that they just shouldn't go... that they should be locked into a certain path.. that's not fucking fair. There's some stupid anime (chobits) where this kid doesn't get into college, so he goes to a prep school. And that's fine with me, because he can keep applying to the tokyo university till he gets in. Or maybe they only give you a certain number of chances, I don't know, but you see my point.

There's nothing wrong with colleges have remedial classes. So what if they "should" have learned it in high school? For whatever reason, they didn't, and now they are paying fucking thousands of dollars to take those remedial classes. Maybe it's a stupid decision, but the option should be open to them.

My mom complains about all the stupid people dumbing down her classes... but it's not the stupid students' fault; it's the fault of the professors who dumb the classes down for the stupid people. The stupid people should be allowed to spend as much of their own goddamned money as they want. And the class should be what it is.

The problem is they've got all these fucked up politics with graduation rates and trying to keep the students happy so they keep attending. But the problem is that if you do that, then the degree is fucking worthless!

k, ramble over.

RE: So my mom is a college professor - Efs - 11-03-2011 04:48 PM

I feel sorry for the people that are naturally just "dumber" but try really hard to learn. They're the ones who I think deserve something. But I can see in the eyes of some people who aren't as intelligent, give up on education, give up on learning and don't have that confidence. I think they should do extra classes for these kids, for free. Just to brush up on basic skills in a certain subject.
The advanced kids can just do their advanced work. Perfect system, everybody wins.

RE: So my mom is a college professor - TheCancer - 11-03-2011 09:49 PM

I would never want to teach at a junior college in a city because too many of the students are idiotic 'adults' who still live with their parents and behave like children but expect to be treated like real adults who make their own way in this world. They talk in class, disrupt lectures, and throw fits just like high school students. They even get their moms to call the school and complain. I can understand that from a minor who is not given the same opportunities in the world but an adult who acts like that belongs somewhere else. I also agree with your mom that people who can't write respectable papers and can't read on a college level belong somewhere else. Colleges shouldn't have to take responsibility for people who haven't prepared themselves. And colleges have changed, too. They treat their students like children by forcing mandatory attendance for grades and punishing them for things that happen off campus.

RE: So my mom is a college professor - magikarp - 11-04-2011 01:46 AM

Eh, you know a professor can't usually just fail an arbitrarily large number of people without getting in trouble for it? I mean, it seems like some of the professors here, realizing we're all shit stupid or we would have went somewhere else, refuse to dumb down the material but make concessions on the tests (some choice in which questions to answer, fairly detailed outlines of what's likely to be on the test, stuff like that), which is probably a reasonable compromise.

I mean, I think college should be an option for everyone, but that doesn't mean everyone is going to get much out of it. (And I say that as someone almost definitely slightly too dumb for college, I just get by on a good memory and reasonable effort, but it's still more or less a practical necessity to go because it's become a standard.)