School Survival Forums
Everything is restricted - Printable Version

+- School Survival Forums (http://forums.school-survival.net)
+-- Forum: The Lounge (/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Forum: General Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+---- Forum: Philosophy, Politics & History (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+---- Thread: Everything is restricted (/showthread.php?tid=20045)

Everything is restricted - SoulRiser - 11-17-2006 07:08 AM

A random thought of mine:

Faith gets restricted by being organized into religions with traditions and habits, learning gets restricted by being put into a school with schedules and grades, and love gets restricted by being put into relationships with expectations and jealousy to control it.

Anyone got more examples?

- Rebelnerd - 11-17-2006 07:16 AM

wait, are we talking about just things restricted by governments/society, or just restricted in general? because if you want to get all philosophical about it everything is restricted, with no free will and all that...

- SoulRiser - 11-17-2006 07:18 AM

by society mainly... stuff that, if left alone, would be a lot more free and personal (and probably better).

- Happy Camper - 11-17-2006 07:39 AM

Speech and diversity. Holding back something to be polite and not offend someone or telling little white lies to avoid an argument. Preschool teachers who don't give the kids 1000 different color crayons to choose from. School plays where you get complaints from parents for using stage cigarettes or having any controversial content whatsoever. Teachers who have to abide by a strict curriculum. Developing at your own pace, you're just about always segregated by what someone else thinks is age-apropriate.

The list goes on and on.

- SoulRiser - 11-17-2006 08:09 AM

Ahh yes, politeness and various other things. I can't remember how many things I've wanted to say but didn't, due to some or other awkward factor...

- Guest - 11-17-2006 11:34 AM

Restrictions are not necessarily bad. Some restrictions only harmful only when set by an outside force. For example, the devoting your life to the wellbeing of others can be liberating and joyous. Doing so would set restrictions on your personal life. But because they are your restrictions and are self enforced, the restrictions do no harm. If you were forced to neglect your personal life, then you would be unhappy.

- SoulRiser - 11-18-2006 02:11 AM

True that, self imposed restrictions can be damn useful.

What I originally had in mind was more along the lines of things that are GOOD and free, but that people try to organize in some way, and in doing so, they suck the life out of it. Something like that...

Talking counts too, with all the manners and politeness and things you're not supposed to say because it's "inappropriate", even if you really need to say it.

- Happy Camper - 11-18-2006 09:47 AM

Quote:Man cannot live freely without embracing suicide and crime. [Murder by Numbers]

I've always loved that quote. It creates a conflict feeling in my gut but I think it's completely true and relevent to the topic. No, not all restrictions are wrong. But it is interesting to analyze them from a skeptical point of view to understand why and how they came about. If there's a good reason for it to be there, then you should abide by it. If it's a silly part of culture, it's good to keep it in mind that you don't act upon it out of nature or consideration, but the paradigm of your time.

My Mom and I argued over handshakes the other day. I hate handshakes. I have some sort of arthritis and everytime someone squeezes my hand too firmly, I experience pain and feel like a wuss even though it's a perfectly valid medical condition. Apart from that I just don't like contact with other people. It's not that I mean someone disrespect, I just don't like shaking hands. My Mom is a firm believer that you can tell a lot about a person by shaking their hand. I think it's just as preconceived of a notion as what kind of clothes they wear. Actions make a person. Beliefs and thoughts make a person. Not how they shake your hand.

- Guest - 11-18-2006 01:40 PM

Quote:I hate handshakes. I have some sort of arthritis and everytime someone squeezes my hand too firmly, I experience pain and feel like a wuss even though it's a perfectly valid medical condition.
You should give people a good ol' namaste.

Everything is restricted - Stadium - 03-03-2014 11:09 PM

An example I can think of is, it being decided for us what words or images are considered "bad" enough to warrant censoring them. Kids shouldn't be protected from images of tits or hearing the word "fuck". If anything should be censored, it's images of extreme violence which are almost never censored. Violence is okay, but certain words AND THE HUMAN FUCKING BODY are not.

Really not the best example ever pertaining to what we're talking about, but it's something I feel strongly about.

Everything is restricted - Ky - 03-04-2014 12:34 AM

Most forums have a restriction on bumping old threads. Is that an example of oppression?

RE: Everything is restricted - SoulRiser - 03-04-2014 01:19 AM

It's an interesting topic, I see no reason to complain about bumping in this case.

RE: Everything is restricted - craxyguy562 - 03-04-2014 04:30 AM

(11-18-2006 09:47 AM)Happy Camper Wrote:  
Quote:Man cannot live freely without embracing suicide and crime. [Murder by Numbers]

I've always loved that quote. It creates a conflict feeling in my gut but I think it's completely true and relevent to the topic. No, not all restrictions are wrong. But it is interesting to analyze them from a skeptical point of view to understand why and how they came about. If there's a good reason for it to be there, then you should abide by it. If it's a silly part of culture, it's good to keep it in mind that you don't act upon it out of nature or consideration, but the paradigm of your time.

My Mom and I argued over handshakes the other day. I hate handshakes. I have some sort of arthritis and everytime someone squeezes my hand too firmly, I experience pain and feel like a wuss even though it's a perfectly valid medical condition. Apart from that I just don't like contact with other people. It's not that I mean someone disrespect, I just don't like shaking hands. My Mom is a firm believer that you can tell a lot about a person by shaking their hand. I think it's just as preconceived of a notion as what kind of clothes they wear. Actions make a person. Beliefs and thoughts make a person. Not how they shake your hand.

My clothes don't define who I am, i just where random clothes.

RE: Everything is restricted - brainiac3397 - 03-04-2014 04:58 AM

I wear clothes to create a definition. Depends on the situation and what I hope to achieve.

Everything is restricted - craxyguy562 - 03-04-2014 08:52 AM

I can't really control what I wear. What I would like to wear is almost never available to me.

Everything is restricted - Potato - 03-04-2014 10:10 PM

Quote:and love gets restricted by being put into relationships with expectations and jealousy to control it.

it's interesting that normal people go crazy when their partner cheats, because cheating is something that doesn't directly hurt anyone, so the reason for why people respond the way they do seems to be based on the evolutionary instinct for the male make sure that it's his genes that get passed on with his partner's child, and for the female to make sure that her partner is devoting all of his resources towards her and her child. most people seem to consider it a reasonable reaction to go crazy after finding out your partner's cheating, but it's always seemed strange to me