School Survival Forums
Having an open mind is good. - Printable Version

+- School Survival Forums (http://forums.school-survival.net)
+-- Forum: The Lounge (/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Forum: General Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+---- Forum: Philosophy, Politics & History (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+---- Thread: Having an open mind is good. (/showthread.php?tid=16261)

- akdonn - 12-05-2007 02:04 PM

Hey folks, I haven't been here for a while so I'm catching up on all the comments and there seems to be a "theme" here that rings kind of hollow. It is: Having an open mind is good.

Perhaps some adults tell kids they should have open minds: "Eat your vegetables, they are good for you! You may not like them now but you will grow to like them..."

Maybe, maybe not.

"Smoking marijuana is not as bad as drinking alcohol! All drugs should be legal; who is the government to say a little plant can be illegal?"

Those are the kinds of things we accept when we have an open mind. Very mixed up--EVIL--people want you to have an "open" mind. Some advertising is aimed at your "open" mind(s)..like the saying: "A fool and his money are soon parted..."

Having an "open" mind and having an "empty" mind don't seem much different from where I stand after more than 50 years of watching life unfold for people who made bad choices and claimed they were being "open-minded" when things didn't work out the way they hoped they would.

- Specter - 12-05-2007 11:43 PM

=.= omg you are bumping topics

- SoulRiser - 12-05-2007 11:58 PM

It's all about balance really, it's good to be open minded enough to be able to consider other ideas without believing everything you hear. Sure, it's technically safer to just cling to old beliefs, but that will never get you anywhere unless you magically happened to be absolutely right the first time, which nobody ever is.

F. Scott Fitzgerald Wrote:"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function."

- Eidolon - 12-06-2007 12:16 AM

Having an open mind is not good and anybody who thinks differently is just a stupid chump!

But, cereally, I agree with what soulriser said. Biggrin

- .xstrike-anywherex. - 12-07-2007 12:04 PM

I have an open mind to anything that doesn't interfere with my freedom.

- Guest - 12-07-2007 01:13 PM

An open mind would be one that is open to new ideas without prejudice. If you prejudge then you are not truly considering an idea. This means skepticism is necessary.

I like this quote even though I think it's false: "If you keep your mind too open your brains will fall out."

- cryptevah72 - 12-08-2007 03:21 AM

i think i have an open mind. having an open mind doesnt mean beliving everything though, jus that you take all things into account, and try not to be biased, but ppl can have their own opinions

- Darthmat - 12-08-2007 04:38 AM

Everyone is biased.

- cooltoonist - 12-18-2007 05:24 PM

Open minds are good but being gullible is not.

- thoughtmaker - 12-19-2007 04:05 PM

a truly open mind cannot believe in anything. i'm not even sure that's true.