School Survival Forums
Go Vegetarian! - Printable Version

+- School Survival Forums (http://forums.school-survival.net)
+-- Forum: The Lounge (/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Forum: General Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+---- Forum: Philosophy, Politics & History (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+---- Thread: Go Vegetarian! (/showthread.php?tid=15754)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Go Vegetarian! - .xstrike-anywherex. - 01-19-2008 03:55 PM

Before I get into this, there's something I want to say. I think most people are good people. I think most of you here are far from being stupid or ignorant. I don't want to come off as an elitist vegetarian, I'm not at all. My choice to not eat meat is just my choice. Even if you don't want to be a vegetarian, I still respect you as a person and still believe that we should all unite to at least fight for a better world for humans.

I think humans are naturally omnivores. I think it's in our instincts to eat meat, but times have changed. If you're in a poor country without many food options, you have every right to kill an animal for your food. But most of us here are in industrialized nations, and we do have the options. The animal industry is corrupt and abusive, and it's something some people are unaware of.

If you have never seen this video, you should watch it now:

http://www.meat.org

If anyone wants to go vegetarian but not sure how to start, I can offer advice to you.

- Eidolon - 01-19-2008 04:16 PM

I had thought about it, but I love meat.

It's so tasty...

- dreamer... - 01-19-2008 04:49 PM

I'M A VEGGIE TOO!
woohoo! Banana

- HeartofShadows - 01-19-2008 05:18 PM

You do what you want to do and I do what I want to do(And by do I mean eat).

- amizon - 01-19-2008 08:30 PM

I seriously can NOT think about where meat is coming from, it literally makes me nauseous. And I don't even crave meat or anything it's not my favorite taste so I may go a couple days without eating it.. but then I'll be feeling really weak and go eat like a chicken breast and feel way better :(. Basically, I'm lazy enough that I have a hard time getting proper nutrition as it is, let alone if I tried to get my nutrition from solely vegetarian sources. It helps to live where I live because around here we get our meat from the smallish local grocery store and actually know some of the farmers we're getting the meat from, and see their spacious lands and a lot of them even have free range cows (which can be a little hazardous for the roads, but well, emphasis on the FREE part of free range). So even though they endure a gruesome death at least they're probably about as happy as cows get while they're alive. The local meat tastes a lot better than the stuff we get when we happen to be at Wal-mart too. Also we have three pet chickens, and just interacting with them you kind of get the feel they don't have much purpose besides to be for our use. We should treat them pretty well, but I don't think it's particular out of order to kill them. Not a happy thing but, natural enough. I'm kind of rambling here, but yeah, if any one disagrees with me I'm open-minded...

P.S. My bro-in-law hunts and I seriously can't eat deer and elk. They are not food animals to me, you know?

- SoulRiser - 01-19-2008 11:50 PM

My position is something like... it's dead already, so... might as well eat it then.

And yes, I know, everyone who buys meat is indirectly (and in a very small way) paying these people to continue doing what they're doing. Meat is kinda expensive, which is why I hardly ever buy any except for canned fish and eggs and the occasional chicken. But if it's free meat that someone else bought, I'm all for eating it. That's the one thing I don't get. Some vegetarians boycott meat... but they also refuse to eat meat someone else paid for. This goes back to the first thing I said... Refusing to buy it does make a (small) difference, but refusing to eat it when it's already been paid for... why?

- KittyKatBlack - 01-20-2008 02:13 AM

I've thought about going veg several times, but it's too hard for me. I freaking hate vegetables with a passion. It might just be mom's cooking, but they are the most disgustingly tasteless things ever.

- .xstrike-anywherex. - 01-20-2008 02:52 AM

SoulRiser Wrote:My position is something like... it's dead already, so... might as well eat it then.

And yes, I know, everyone who buys meat is indirectly (and in a very small way) paying these people to continue doing what they're doing. Meat is kinda expensive, which is why I hardly ever buy any except for canned fish and eggs and the occasional chicken. But if it's free meat that someone else bought, I'm all for eating it. That's the one thing I don't get. Some vegetarians boycott meat... but they also refuse to eat meat someone else paid for. This goes back to the first thing I said... Refusing to buy it does make a (small) difference, but refusing to eat it when it's already been paid for... why?

Well I agree that it's bad to waste. But I as a vegetarian don't put myself in positions where anyone is buying it for me.

I guess it's sort of just something you do for a distinct change. For example, if you smoke all the time, but then cut down to 1 cigarette every week, you most likely will be just fine. But most people who quit smoking just quit.

- thoughtmaker - 01-20-2008 03:06 AM

i´ve been a vegetarian for a while and after a few days, it´s really not that hard. everytime i eat meat (when it´s just going to get thrown out anyways) it seems to have just lost the appeal it did when i used to eat it all the time. i have a much greater respect for all life now and for those of you that do still eat meat, try going without it for a while. it´s like crack, just ween yourself off of it a little bit at a time. i think you´ll find you will miss it as much as you would think.

and if that fails, just think of what had to happen to make that hamburger.

- Happy Camper - 01-20-2008 04:14 AM

Most of my friends are vegetarians. About half of them are unhealthy vegetarians. Use it as an excuse to starve themselves. While my older vegetarian (sometimes vegan depending on their health) friends have a lot of balance in their lives and my best friend (the one who's living with me) knows how to cook vegetarian meals properly, I still worry about teenagers deciding to be vegetarians. It's admiral to be sure, but the number who pull it off in a healthy way makes me cringe a little.

We had this funny conversation the other day about tofu. We were in an all vegan place eating and my friend was trying to talk us into beef-tasting tofu. And how I could have chicken-tasting tofu. And how they even had a cannibalism-flavored tofu for people who were curious enough. I was kind of amazed at how unnatural it all was. I know my Wendy's chicken isn't exactly allnatural either but ick.

I think the solution is to do the research and buy organic. That's not easy to do in most places and it's true, it's more expensive. In Michigan it was quite possible because I was in farm country and almost all of the food was local. My friend made maple syrup. We had to collect sap every time we were at her house even on her birthday. Most of my friends had to milk the cows and such. Lots of corn. Lots of farmers market. Lots of localism. There wasn't much of a worry there as long as you weren't shopping Walmart or Fosters.

I don't remember any organic stores in Minneapolis. Most of the development in our suburb was in the last fifteen years so just about everything was chain. There may have been a small place somewhere but I didn't know about it if it existed.

California, it's ridiculously easy to buy organic. There's just about a New Leaf for every grocery store in our area. Plus regular farmers markets. Although the government just sprayed the whole county with some fucking pesticide for moths. So many protests over that. I'm surprised they went through with it.

I don't mean to hinder the vegetarian argument but I've always been one to go organic rather than give up on meat altogether.

- monkey - 01-20-2008 05:24 AM

In this world someones gotta die u know-

i couldn't go 2 days without meet and its already dead.

poor animals tho they could kill them way easier and humanely Sad

o well meets meet and i like it- Mohawk

- Suicidal-kun - 01-20-2008 05:47 AM

I watched the video, and I'm well aware about the horrible treatment of animals, but I don't think I'll ever be a vegetarian, and I kinda don't want to. I love the taste of meat, and always will, I wish they would treat animals better, but even with knowing what happens to the animals, I'll still eat meat and choose it over vegetables.

- thewake - 01-20-2008 06:57 AM

I personally was a vegetarian for a little while, maybe the good part of one week...

I just really don't care how the animals are treated, they're just animals and they're property to do with as we please.

- SoulRiser - 01-20-2008 07:27 AM

Yeah, you tell that to the puppy across the road when his owner kicks the shit out of him every time he tries to run away (no friggin wonder he runs away).

- youvebeenthunderstruck - 01-20-2008 07:39 AM

Weswammy Wrote:I personally was a vegetarian for a little while, maybe the good part of one week...

I just really don't care how the animals are treated, they're just animals and they're property to do with as we please.

Fuck you.

- thewake - 01-20-2008 07:41 AM

People do stupid crap, I really can't help it. I don't kick my puppy, all I can do is make my animals happy. It's not my responsibility to make sure other people's animals are well taken care of.

- Darthmat - 01-20-2008 09:47 AM

Do you care how people in sweat shops are treated?

- .xstrike-anywherex. - 01-20-2008 12:30 PM

Weswammy Wrote:I personally was a vegetarian for a little while, maybe the good part of one week...

That's seriously not cool. I can respect meat-eaters with regard for animal welfare, but man that's lame.

- .xstrike-anywherex. - 01-20-2008 12:31 PM

darthmat Wrote:Do you care how people in sweat shops are treated?

I do, which is why I don't buy from them.

- Darthmat - 01-20-2008 12:33 PM

I was talking to Wes, but ok. =/

- .xstrike-anywherex. - 01-20-2008 12:43 PM

darthmat Wrote:I was talking to Wes, but ok. =/

I know.

- Rebelnerd - 01-20-2008 02:34 PM

sorry i didn't read the entire thread, i was busy eating bacon pizza and remembering that sweet, juicy, wonderful buffalo burger i ate in Utah. mmmmmm...

hey, if we ever meet in real life, all you vegans feel free to pass your unwanted meat down the table to me. Cool

- Avenger - 01-20-2008 02:44 PM

Rebelnerd Wrote:hey, if we ever meet in real life, all you vegans feel free to pass your unwanted meat down the table to me. Cool

same here

- Darthmat - 01-20-2008 02:46 PM

I'll eat meat, but I am not for suffering of animals.

- dreamer... - 01-20-2008 04:07 PM

Weswammy Wrote:I just really don't care how the animals are treated, they're just animals and they're property to do with as we please.

You mean the same way that the system doesn't care how minors are treated, they're just kids and they're property to do with as the system pleases?
Noo

- .xstrike-anywherex. - 01-20-2008 04:51 PM

dreamer... Wrote:
Weswammy Wrote:I just really don't care how the animals are treated, they're just animals and they're property to do with as we please.

You mean the same way that the system doesn't care how minors are treated, they're just kids and they're property to do with as the system pleases?
Noo

No! :o That would make him a hypocrite!

- arthasmenethil - 01-21-2008 03:54 AM

Rebelnerd Wrote:hey, if we ever meet in real life, all you vegans feel free to pass your unwanted meat down the table to me. Cool

Will do

- cryptevah72 - 01-21-2008 05:01 AM

my god wes, do you really mean that!?!?!??!

i was a vegetarian for 4 years, and probably would have longer, but i kinda became anemic, so the choice was quit most athletics and be prepared to faint a few times a month, or eat meat (i needed the iron) i still dont eat much meat, maybe once a week, and if i have the choice between meat and something else that i dont mind eating, i'll chose the later

the good thing about being jewish, is that i eat kosher, so basically the animals we eat are very limited, and ther mostly animals that actually wouldnt really be able to survive without humans (thers a difference between farm animals and wild animals) but there are specific LAWS about killing and eating animals, A. they cant be lame, cut, have internal injuries, anything (some ppl even go as far as not being alowd to eat an animal that had a healed wound) and they have to be taken care of nicely their ENTIRE lives, and when they are finally killed, they have to be SHECHTED, which means that a tested blade has to be used, (really fuking sharp) and thers a specific place in the neck that you slice so the animals literally feels absolutely nothing, no pain or anything, they leave the world happy.

i dont eat any meat at all that have been fed anything or injected by anything unnatural, or anything that they wouldnt naturally eat themselves (as in "NO" to farm animals who are fed MEAT, which does happen) and i'm thinking about trying to get unpasteurized milk (much better in some ways) (i already only drink organic milk) and in my opinion, its not bad if ppl drink milk, its good for you, and if dairy cows weren't milked at least once a day, they would die. unlike humans, female dairy cows produce milk all the time, regardless of whether they are pregnant or have calves. but people should force the cows to give milk, thats horrible, they give as much as ther body makes, we shouldn't be able to change that! its nice of them to allow us to drink ther milk, its THEIRS for gods sake!

i personally dont like eating meat anyway these days, because i didnt kill it. dont think im some sadistic person who likes killing things, just look at it this way. when you think of the 4 types of animals, carnivores, herbivores, omnivores, and scavengers, ppl usually are disgusted by scavengers. when you see a vulture eating a dead animal, its like "ew!" its eating meat that it didnt even kill itsself! well news flash, thats what most ppl do! we are scavengers! we eat meat that others killed, and the fact that its an organized method freaks me out all the more so! we also are worse than scavengers in some ways, we kill more than we eat, we waste meat, we waste LIVES. at least vultures eat everything they can. the Native Americans used every part of the animal, and respected it and thanked it for giving its life. as soon as i can, i either wont eat meat, or i'll kill my own.

this goes for fishing too. i hate ppl who are vegetarians cuz they love animals, but still eat fish! fish are animals too!!! and wtf is up with hunting and fishing? its so sad that humans have to reassert their superiority by killing as a sport! and for those who fish, but put the fish back, jeez! no matter what, having a hook puncure you is gonna be harmful! why is it so important to kill things smaller than you? and even worse when you kill larger things that dont attack you! if ppl think its bad for animals to attack ppl, think about what we do to them. when an animal attacks a human, its usually cuz we provoked them. and if we didnt, it may be because the animal is not mentally stable, but guess who's fault that it most of he time??? and on top of that, they dont have as high as a thinking process as us. so the fact that we hunt and kill them for fun, without provocation, completely on the offensive, and that we should KNOW better than them...see where im going with this?

also, any carnivorous, or omnivorous animal, has its main sources of meat. they have prey, but not ALL other animals. we on the other hand, will kill anything that we can, which unfortunately is basically everything. so here we are, killing whatever we fancy, not even eating many of them! we are omnivores, and omnivores dont NEED to eat meat, maybe thats a sort of sign that we're not supposed to kill whatever we want! most ppl eat only farm animals, or whatever animals that are native to their area, but you dont need to kill more than necessary!

ok, i have alot more points, but no more time to write 'em. sorry for the long rant

- dreamer... - 01-21-2008 10:16 AM

wow cryptevah, that's exactly my opinion too. i agree 100%! Smile

- Rebelnerd - 01-21-2008 11:14 AM

[Image: bigpot6.jpg]