School Survival Forums
Do you fear it. - Printable Version

+- School Survival Forums (http://forums.school-survival.net)
+-- Forum: The Lounge (/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Forum: General Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+---- Forum: Philosophy, Politics & History (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+---- Thread: Do you fear it. (/showthread.php?tid=15383)

Pages: 1 2

Do you fear it. - SilenceXEmotion - 02-08-2008 09:41 AM

Do you agree with this quote? Or do you fear death?

"From the day of your birth, you have been living on borrowed time. You and I are both going to die at some point, and in the end there is not a thing you or I can do to change that.

In death, all we forfeit is the brief moment in time we call the present. You cannot lose anything of the future. The future you fear losing is imaginary."

Of course I agree with it or else it would not be in my sig.

- HeartofShadows - 02-08-2008 10:54 AM

This reminds me of the saying memento mori..

it means remember you are mortal and you will die....

When I was younger I feared death but as I got older I accepted it and even grew curious of it..
Death can be interpreted as many things..

A peaceful rest to life's long journey..
A horrible fate that splits loved ones apart..

- Bob Dole - 02-08-2008 10:57 AM

Nah. I live, I die. Everything goes on.

- HeartofShadows - 02-08-2008 10:59 AM

yep thats death in a nutshell anyway unknown guy..

- The One - 02-08-2008 11:05 AM

I thought about it really really hard when I was a lot younger. But I'm cool with it now.

BRING ON THE DEATH! WOOOT EXTRA SAUCE!

- Darthmat - 02-08-2008 11:42 AM

I am terrified of it.

Terrified.

- i-am-the-liquor - 02-08-2008 11:57 AM

dont fear it

- Nah - 02-08-2008 02:40 PM

I could post some religious comment, here but it will just cause a huge and ultimately pointless argument, so I won't.

- SilenceXEmotion - 02-08-2008 02:41 PM

Oh yes, I forgot this is from a non-religious point of view of course.

- Zombie - 02-08-2008 07:30 PM

I believe in reincarnation. And in that sense, we aren't our bodies like people believe. Cause the body is like a car, it gets totaled and you get a new one, but you don't become that car.

- Almosthere - 02-08-2008 11:35 PM

It's not like you can do something to stop it. I've been used to the idea of dying for a while now. Though i'd hold it off for a couple years, assuming i had the choice. If you let fear of death control the way you live, then your going to be pretty depressed when you actually do kick the bucket.

- SoulRiser - 02-09-2008 05:25 AM

I used to be scared of death. I wondered about the afterlife, and whether or not my life will have made any significant difference down the line. I worried about heaven and hell too.

I thought about it for a while, and realized the reason people fear death is because they want to leave something worthwhile behind after they're gone. So I think if you can do that, you won't fear death. Much. I also figured the afterlife stuff is irrelevant, because I do what I do because I believe I should be doing it, regardless of the rewards or punishments. If I do things for the rewards I might get in the afterlife, I'm doing it for the wrong reasons anyway.

There's still stuff I wanna do and experience before I die though. But if I did die like right now (after I post this)... I'd be mildly OK with it, I think.

- Darthmat - 02-09-2008 06:11 AM

No. I fear it because I don't know what it is.

Re: Do you fear it. - Coma Girl - 02-09-2008 10:20 PM

omg green! lol. I dont give a flying fuck about it. Thats sounded rude and arrogant, what i mean is that i dont want to think about it because i dont know anyhting about it, i donot fear it, nor do i not fear it

Re: Do you fear it. - fragile_esteem - 02-10-2008 01:31 AM

I'm looking forward to it. Nobody is mean about you once you're dead, you become the most intelligent person that has ever lived and the prettiest and funniest and livliest. Sorry but everyone loves dead people. Nobody cares about the alive ones. Only thing is you won't be there to see them love you.

Re: Do you fear it. - Albatross - 02-10-2008 12:14 PM

Sadam Hussien is dead people hate him.
Hitler is dead, he's no hero.
Homeless people die on the street every day and no one even notices.

Re: Do you fear it. - fragile_esteem - 02-11-2008 02:01 AM

Maxwell Wrote:Sadam Hussien is dead people hate him.
Hitler is dead, he's no hero.
Homeless people die on the street every day and no one even notices.
I take that point, but I was meaning "average" people, who have family who do not show they care or friends that use them for granted. i am not a dictaror/ abuser of article 48.

Re: Do you fear it. - Will - 02-11-2008 04:15 AM

It doesn't need to sound so fancy, but I agree. Why do you call it a "quote"?

This is why we should be doing things we want to do rather than whatever we "have" to do and why we may do "too much" of things we like to do, which includes some things that noobs may call "work."
fragile_esteem Wrote:I'm looking forward to it. Nobody is mean about you once you're dead, you become the most intelligent person that has ever lived and the prettiest and funniest and livliest. Sorry but everyone loves dead people. Nobody cares about the alive ones. Only thing is you won't be there to see them love you.
I thought about this a bit a few years ago. It would be really cool to fake your suicide and then reappear when everyone was so sad that you'd died. It probably wouldn't work so well, though, because people would be too worried about school and work to care to much and because your parents would yell at you as soon as you got back.

Re: Do you fear it. - thewake - 02-11-2008 04:19 AM

I can't separate my very well religion from my view on death since it helps me cope with it and assures me that I won't just "die" and that, in fact, death is just a means to the afterlife and not and end to everything.
But if I had to separate it I could look back at my younger days when religion meant little to nothing to me. I truly didn't give a crap since the idea I was mortal never really dawned on me. I was just like any other human, too arrogant to actually accept my mortality. I wasn't scared of it, because it didn't seem to even exist.
Except for funerals of course, but that could never happen to me.
It was my religion that forced me to face death and the consequences after it. And you can guess what happened next.

In short: Yes, I'm afraid of death because it's something I've never experienced and I can't ask anybody what it's like, but what I'm not afraid of is what's after death. Because death is just something that happens to your mortal body, not you. It's like going to a new place, because life still goes on.

Re: Do you fear it. - Will - 02-11-2008 09:22 AM

Weswammy Wrote:I can't separate my very well religion from my view on death since it helps me cope with it and assures me that I won't just "die" and that, in fact, death is just a means to the afterlife and not and end to everything.
But if I had to separate it I could look back at my younger days when religion meant little to nothing to me. I truly didn't give a crap since the idea I was mortal never really dawned on me. I was just like any other human, too arrogant to actually accept my mortality. I wasn't scared of it, because it didn't seem to even exist.
Except for funerals of course, but that could never happen to me.
It was my religion that forced me to face death and the consequences after it. And you can guess what happened next.

In short: Yes, I'm afraid of death because it's something I've never experienced and I can't ask anybody what it's like, but what I'm not afraid of is what's after death. Because death is just something that happens to your mortal body, not you. It's like going to a new place, because life still goes on.
The cool thing about that is that when you die, you will actually know, so you will be happily anticipating what happens next. Aside from perhaps being slightly less worried about dying, I see no practical problems with this belief.

But how can you believe something so arbitrary, unfounded and thus stupid?

Re: Do you fear it. - HeartofShadows - 02-11-2008 09:47 AM

So we all call out to death in our own ways..
Some in anticipation, some out of fear, and some out of curiosity.. Scratchchin

Ohh forget it.. Blush

Re: Do you fear it. - thewake - 02-11-2008 09:53 AM

Will Wrote:But how can you believe something so arbitrary, unfounded and thus stupid?
Not every belief has to be based on logic and the materially provable, my friend. And for it to be stupid is only your opinion, not fact.
Now I could tell you the reasoning behind my beliefs all day, and I have posted them on these forums before. But it only ensues into and endless discussion(and sometimes a fight) that cannot be resolved. Therefore I really don't feel the need to, y'know, tell why.

Re: Do you fear it. - Will - 02-11-2008 09:57 AM

I'm sorry; it's just so tempting.
Weswammy Wrote:
Will Wrote:But how can you believe something so arbitrary, unfounded and thus stupid?
Not every belief has to be based on logic and the materially provable, my friend.
The ones that aren't are illogical.

Re: Do you fear it. - SoulRiser - 02-11-2008 09:23 PM

'illogical' isn't necessarily the same as 'incorrect' or 'wrong' or 'false'. Just 'illogical' and possibly 'unprovable'. That's all.

Re: Do you fear it. - tock172 - 02-12-2008 03:49 AM

No, why would I fear death? I can admit that I lie a lot, but this is one thing that has always been the same for me. I am not afraid to die? I think it is just the next continuation of this grand adventure.

Re: Do you fear it. - thoughtmaker - 02-12-2008 04:06 AM

i don't fear death. i kind of look forward to it. i don't have a deathwish or anything, but i'm excited about finding out what it all adds up to Smile

Re: Do you fear it. - Suicidal-kun - 02-12-2008 11:24 AM

I don't fear death. Death is inevitable, and no one truly knows what happens after we die. So, worrying about either is just a waste of time.

Re: Do you fear it. - Liquid - 02-13-2008 05:32 AM

I could try to convince people of what I think, but no one is here to be convinced Smile So I thought I'd through out a couple quotes that give people something to think about for a moment and also show what I think about it:

Is death the last step? No, it is the final awakening.
- Sir Walter Scott

The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.
- Paul - 1 Corinthians 15:26

O death, where is thy victory? O death, where is thy sting?
- Paul - 1 Corinthians 15:55

Re: Do you fear it. - Colin - 02-16-2008 01:15 PM

Maybe life is an explosion. Life's purpose is to explode, as big as possible, and leave a ripple in the ocean of life. Then, death is the point in time when the fire of your explosion disappears. Death is darkness. No fire, no light. Sounds dark huh?

Re: Do you fear it. - thewake - 02-17-2008 05:30 AM

We can talk about what death is all day, but the fact is:
Nobody really knows. That's why people are scared of it. It's the same reason little kids are scared to go under their bed or soldiers to fight in new lands.