School Survival Forums
2012 - Printable Version

+- School Survival Forums (http://forums.school-survival.net)
+-- Forum: The Lounge (/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Forum: General Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+---- Forum: Philosophy, Politics & History (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+---- Thread: 2012 (/showthread.php?tid=15105)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Re: 2012 - SoulRiser - 03-08-2008 04:28 AM

Quote:I think it's more likely that the world would end than the entire human race becoming enlightened or something.

I tend to agree with this, however sad it may be Razz
Though, to give some credit to humanity, we have progressed to some extent. I mean, we don't behead everyone who doesn't fit in anymore, we just generally call them weird and ostracise them from society. And we don't have slaves anymore, unless children count. So yeah, we're not as bad as we used to be... Uhoh

Re: 2012 - thewake - 03-21-2008 12:15 AM

What's strange is that other prophets and prophetic texts besides the Mayans/Mayan Calender predicted December 21, 2012 as the exact date or predicted the general time around that date as a period of great cataclysm or the end of time. It scares me that the fact I have just presented is true, I would dismiss it if it were just another prophecy that was stand alone, but it's not. The Mayan prophecy is standing among other prophecies that also predict the exact date they predict as the end of the world, and many more that predict the time period 2012 is in.

What I think might happen: The Rapture. Fire and brimstone will rain down and angels will take God's people to heaven. The world won't end just then, because The Book of Revelations specifically says that no being will know the exact time the world will end. Only God will know.

Of course I have other theories that stand just as high with that one: Nothing will happen, or there will be immense social and political change: A revolution of sorts. I mean the Mayan prophecy makes it out to be more a time of great change than great destruction. It even says it's time to join a cause.

Re: 2012 - colbert2012 - 03-21-2008 04:33 AM

if the mayans were the first to create that theory, how do we know the other theories erent based off that

Re: 2012 - thewake - 03-21-2008 07:30 AM

Because all of them happened independently of each other when the sources didn't even know the other sources existed.
There's one from China called the I Ching.
There's also Nostradamus nuts pushing the fact Nostradamus predicted something will happen around this time.

Generally, many prophets are pointing toward this time period.

Re: 2012 - colbert2012 - 03-21-2008 08:02 AM

that is kinda creepy, but i still doubt its more than coincidence. whay cant it just be random, im sure there are other things like that, which have happened in history. it is weird, but im not convinced

Re: 2012 - thewake - 03-21-2008 08:29 AM

I just think there's some sort of "Collective Conscious" they're all getting it from. Or maybe God tells them.

I really don't know, but it is in so many places it's not funny. Especially how the I Ching and Mayan Calendar are only one day apart on the date thing. I read about the I Ching, usually it's used for general fortune telling not apocalypse typed crap. But then some guys looked at the mathematics of how it works and "mapped it out" onto a timeline. It landed on Dec. 22, 2012. Supposedly the guys didn't ever learn about the Mayan Calender until later.

Of course maybe it is a coincidence. Or maybe it's not. Nothing we can really do either way.

Re: 2012 - colbert2012 - 03-21-2008 08:40 AM

first of all supposedly, second of all, i still believe its coincidence. they dont even have the same day, its one day apart.

Re: 2012 - HeartofShadows - 03-21-2008 03:28 PM

On a off topic note it would be cool to meet aliens and even more cool if they were humanoid
but to get back to topic..
The world could end in 2012, it can end tomorrow, it can end on soulrisers birthday.
thats just the randomness of the world.
Somewhere unknown to us a struggle for the world could be happening..
Mwahaha

P.s on a side note a zombie apocolypse would be cool but I would prefer a end of the world where people are killed off like in evangelion. In evangelion these clones would start killing everybody by appearing in front of them as the one they most loved and when they touch them their bodies blow up from the inside and turn into goo...
Mwahaha

Re: 2012 - colbert2012 - 03-21-2008 03:33 PM

in a galaxy far far away...

Re: 2012 - HeartofShadows - 03-21-2008 03:33 PM

Sorry I changed my message..

Re: 2012 - colbert2012 - 03-21-2008 03:38 PM

i think at some point some sort of meteor or something will came and destroy earth, but it will probably be after humanity had ceased to exist

Re: 2012 - HeartofShadows - 03-21-2008 03:48 PM

True.. its possible because there have been many meteors that could end life on earth that have missed us..

Re: 2012 - colbert2012 - 03-21-2008 04:18 PM

its just a matter of time. but what if that type of meteor comes to earth while humans still exist. what would happen, would we all die.what steps would government take to protect us

Re: 2012 - HeartofShadows - 03-21-2008 04:28 PM

1. the government would only try to protect the important people while the others are expendable.
2. We may die we may not die or we will die if the meteor has enough impact to destroy the earth.

Re: 2012 - colbert2012 - 03-21-2008 04:31 PM

thats a real bummer...i hate dying

Re: 2012 - HeartofShadows - 03-21-2008 04:33 PM

Well take comfort in the fact that the government people will die too..

Ehh as for me well death is the end of suffering and so I won't have much to cry about althought I will miss my video games. :(

Re: 2012 - colbert2012 - 03-21-2008 04:35 PM

well i guess i can take solice in the fact hillary will be dead, but all my friends and family will be dead,but then again hillary...

Re: 2012 - liq3 - 03-21-2008 07:51 PM

Heart of shadows Wrote:Well take comfort in the fact that the government people will die too..

Ehh as for me well death is the end of suffering and so I won't have much to cry about althought I will miss my video games. :(
Uhhh no you won't. I can think of 4 main beliefs people have about after death.

1.You go to heaven or hell. Heaven...video games up there. Hell, video games least of your worries.
2. You stop existing. Hard to worry when you don't exist.
3. You become pure energy...Exist as consciousness. Often defined as "perfect", thus you won't worry about them.
4. Reincarnation...You won't remember, thus not worry.

Also, I'm will to fully embrace death personally. It'll happen when it does, and I highly doubt it'll be 2012. Though it could be...

Re: 2012 - thewake - 03-21-2008 11:02 PM

I personally think 2012 is the beginning of a new age, I think some unsettling events will happen that will pave the way for a revolution/age of enlightenment/new stage in human development.

The Mayan prophecy itself says it's a time for "joining a cause". I watched a History Channel special on it.

Re: 2012 - colbert2012 - 03-22-2008 02:21 AM

liq3 Wrote:
Heart of shadows Wrote:Well take comfort in the fact that the government people will die too..

Uhhh no you won't. I can think of 4 main beliefs people have about after death.

1.You go to heaven or hell. Heaven...video games up there. Hell, video games least of your worries.
2. You stop existing. Hard to worry when you don't exist.
3. You become pure energy...Exist as consciousness. Often defined as "perfect", thus you won't worry about them.
4. Reincarnation...You won't remember, thus not worry.

Also, I'm will to fully embrace death personally. It'll happen when it does, and I highly doubt it'll be 2012. Though it could be...

what if someone just goes to purgatory?

Re: 2012 - Bob Dole - 03-22-2008 04:09 AM

Wolf: Possible technological singularity?

Re: 2012 - thewake - 03-22-2008 04:23 AM

Wolfeh Wrote:P.S. There is no God.
Says you. Believing in a Collective Conscious is about as "far fetched" as believing in God. Don't try to say it isn't, because it is.

Now, there may be a collective conscious or maybe not, but how are we connected like this. Maybe it's not explainable by logic, but if it is I'd like to know. And if it is I would love to open my mind directly open to it.

Maybe that's what happened to Edgar Cayce.
Crazy I say, crazy. But I still think maybe they tapped into God's knowledge. Maybe God wants us to know something.

Then again, maybe nothing will happen.

I got a story: One of my friends is trying to make his basement resistant to nuclear fallout since he knows the won't actually bomb this state(who the Hell directly nukes my state, nobody lives here) because he believes the poles will shift causing nuclear malfunctions nuking us all.
I think I'll stay the night in his basement, just to be safe. We're thinking that if it really does happen, civilization collapses, and we survive we could live and grow vegetables, pot(it won't be illegal, lol), and stuff.

I personally hope nothing happens.

Re: 2012 - Darthmat - 03-22-2008 04:28 AM

You discussed that in the chat, I remember. It was way over my head and still is now.

Oh, and to this topic I speak those good ol' words of wisdom- Let It Be.
No pointing debating on whether or not this will happen, if you think it will, then live in a cave, seal the door, and learn how to grow crops out of stone and get water from moisture in the air or something. Otherwise, politely discuss your opinions, and if you feel the need to shove it down my throat please ever so kindly STFU and GTFO.

Re: 2012 - Bob Dole - 03-22-2008 04:44 AM

Wolf on Mescaline Wrote:
Anonymous1.0 Wrote:Wolf: Possible technological singularity?

What do you mean?
What if the whole 2012 thing is when technological singularity comes about?

In depth reading: http://www.kurzweilai.net/articles/art0 ... rintable=1

Re: 2012 - thewake - 03-22-2008 05:10 AM

Oh, the whole "The robots will take over the world!" thing.
Maybe. I sure know it will probably happen in my lifetime. At least the fact robots will be smarter that humans will happen when I'm alive.
I hope I die before they get free thought too.

Re: 2012 - colbert2012 - 03-22-2008 05:49 AM

http://youtube.com/watch?v=OGxdgNJ_lZM

Re: 2012 - thewake - 03-22-2008 05:52 AM

Lol, lol, lol.

Re: 2012 - colbert2012 - 03-22-2008 05:55 AM

you think thats how its gonna turn out? even though thats awful, id find it funny if it happened

Re: 2012 - thewake - 03-22-2008 07:38 AM

Wolf on Mescaline Wrote:EDIT: I forgot to address Mr. Cayce... I don't believe he has any sorta connection with the Christian God that most people recognize. I think his "powers" can be explained by Shamanism, if they really exist in him at all. In South America, shamans entered a trance-like state (often drug-induced), and claimed to be able to heal physical and psychological anguishes by correcting any turbulence in the higher dimensional reality of which they entered. Edward[Actually Edgar] Cayce sounds like he does exactly this, but since he comes from a Christian background, he interprets it with a Christian spin on it. So, in essence, these two groups are referring to similar, if not the same, things, they just use different terminology to describe them. I think a lot of religious parallels can be explained in this way, attributing these happenings to the collective unconsciousness. However, I don't really know anything about Cayce, so I can't really say much about him or what he did.
To me it seems he is tapping some kind of collective consciousness. And there were religious parallels, but he also spoke of reincarnation too. It said out of trances he struggled to assimilate it into his belief.

What's weird is how people predict the future. Maybe the Collective Conscious is composed of all people's minds: Past, present, and future.

Re: 2012 - liq3 - 03-22-2008 10:30 AM

Probably Weswammy Wrote:What's weird is how people predict the future. Maybe the Collective Conscious is composed of all people's minds: Past, present, and future.
Subjective reality sounds much like this "collective consciousness" since SR basically revolves around it.

Subjective Reality vs Solipsism

It's got a long explanation about SR in there. Good read.