School Survival Forums
Important stuff school does not teach you. - Printable Version

+- School Survival Forums (http://forums.school-survival.net)
+-- Forum: Learning, Youth Rights and School Survival (/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: School Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Important stuff school does not teach you. (/showthread.php?tid=12455)

Important stuff school does not teach you. - Michio-kun - 10-01-2008 09:16 AM

Everyone think of important stuff that school does not teach you:

- Personal Finance
- Basic macroeconomics (essential to being an informed citizen)
- Understanding modern politics
- How to think

Re: Important stuff school does not teach you. - Sunbourn - 10-01-2008 09:31 AM

Sex

Re: Important stuff school does not teach you. - Michio-kun - 10-01-2008 09:33 AM

|55555| Wrote:Sex

Well they do, but it's in the form of sex-ed which has a lot of bad information.

Re: Important stuff school does not teach you. - mudkip liek - 10-01-2008 11:17 AM

-Things that will actually be useful

Re: Important stuff school does not teach you. - PunchingYou - 10-02-2008 10:32 AM

Stratovarius Wrote:
|55555| Wrote:Sex

Well they do, but it's in the form of sex-ed which has a lot of bad information.
...i was like 9 when i had sex ed... didnt know wtf he was talking about, was to busy laughing at the huge dick on the board he was referring too, lol.

Re: Important stuff school does not teach you. - Michio-kun - 10-02-2008 10:34 AM

LOL

Re: Important stuff school does not teach you. - random_name - 10-02-2008 10:35 AM

there was always very little point in sex ed to me. it just got less informative as it went o.

Re: Important stuff school does not teach you. - aaaaaaasd - 10-03-2008 01:01 AM

At mesa school, sex edumacation is essetially DON'T HAVE SEX UNTIL 18 YOUR DICK WILL FALL OFF Education.

Re: Important stuff school does not teach you. - Puchiko - 10-03-2008 02:54 AM

Stratovarius Wrote:Everyone think of important stuff that school does not teach you:

- Personal Finance
- Basic macroeconomics (essential to being an informed citizen)
- Understanding modern politics
- How to think
We have an elective on the first, don't know how good it is. We covered the second splendidly last year in Introduction to Social Sciences.

As for the last one-I'd freak out if schools taught that. Thinking is not something to be taught. Of course, they shouldn't suppress it either, but a class "thinking" would only turn into yet another brainwashing session.

Re: Important stuff school does not teach you. - Michio-kun - 10-03-2008 03:47 AM

Ya I have this small book called The Art of Thinking that is used in a few universities. And it's really great. However, even the author occasionally says some things that come off as somewhat brainwashy and I questioned some of the things he said. But hey, the rest of the book showed me how to think critically so that I could question what he was saying. Giggle

Re: Important stuff school does not teach you. - 6moredetentions - 10-05-2008 03:30 AM

skool dusnt teche u that if u thro an m80 in water and stand next to it u wil get wet....

Re: Important stuff school does not teach you. - Fire Elf - 10-05-2008 03:31 AM

6moredetentions Wrote:skool dusnt teche u that if u thro an m80 in water and stand next to it u wil get wet....
School doesn't teach you how to type.

Re: Important stuff school does not teach you. - Michio-kun - 10-05-2008 04:22 AM

6moredetentions Wrote:skool dusnt teche u that if u thro an m80 in water and stand next to it u wil get wet....

School needs to teach you to an hero.

Re: Important stuff school does not teach you. - thewake - 10-05-2008 05:54 AM

School teaches all these things, I'll explain what kinds of stuff in those subjects they teach you:
- Personal Finance: Pay taxes.
- Basic macroeconomics: Pay more taxes.
- Understanding modern politics: You got me on that one.
- How to think: Just don't do it.

Important stuff school does not teach you. - Superkamiguru - 01-27-2017 12:43 PM

-Love
-Respect(REAL respect)
-How To Save A Life
-Decent Morals
-Critical Thinking
-How To Run A Business
-Anything Worth Knowing

RE: Important stuff school does not teach you. - HSHARK - 01-30-2017 09:47 AM

How not to be a jerk

Important stuff school does not teach you. - Superkamiguru2 - 01-30-2017 10:05 AM

Anything worth knowing.

RE: Important stuff school does not teach you. - the Analogist - 01-30-2017 01:06 PM

https://www.amazon.com/Art-Manliness-Classic-Skills-Manners/dp/1600614620

I feel like having books like these in a library paid for by taxes would be just fine enough. Forcing people is dumb, having it available is better, presenting it as an option is best.