School Survival Forums
Best way to deal with pain. - Printable Version

+- School Survival Forums (http://forums.school-survival.net)
+-- Forum: The Lounge (/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Forum: General Talk (/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+---- Forum: Philosophy, Politics & History (/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+---- Thread: Best way to deal with pain. (/showthread.php?tid=11915)

Best way to deal with pain. - liq3 - 11-15-2008 09:46 PM

Ok, so, lately I've noticed a trend...It seems the best way to deal with pain is to accept it. A comic I read and "Fight Club" both say this. My mother agreed when I asked her (she has arthritis, i.e. she is in pain 24/7). From my small amount of tests, it seems to work. For example, I currently have a ulcer. I am very willing to tounge it. This hurts, but by accepting that, and not trying to deal with it...Well, I don't react to the pain. It's just another experience. I'm starting to think that pain itself is not what causes people problems, but the fear that results from it.

So, what are you thoughts on this? Is this the best method of 'dealing' with pain, or is there a better one? If there is, what is it?

Re: Best way to deal with pain. - Gobinu - 11-15-2008 09:52 PM

Pain is only electrical impulse so I guess you could controll it. And acceptin, yes but not in a simple way "ok dog is biteing me and I am cool with that" it takes knowing yourself. I'd say meditation would work.

Re: Best way to deal with pain. - liq3 - 11-15-2008 10:01 PM

Gobinu Wrote:Pain is only electrical impulse so I guess you could controll it. And acceptin, yes but not in a simple way "ok dog is biteing me and I am cool with that" it takes knowing yourself. I'd say meditation would work.
Haha. Yeh, it's not that simple. I didn't really get it for a while...But no, you really do just accept it. You don't fight it, you don't try to run, you just experience it.

"Ok, a dog is biting...guess I better get it off". Let me give you a comic to get what I mean across.

http://www.flipsidecomics.com/comic.php?i=650

That...and the 4 after it.
Maytag Wrote:The key is actually not to resist at all. Part of the reason pain hurts is because you try to fight it... But, I've learned to accept pain; to allow myself to feel it. So, it's just another experience to me.

Re: Best way to deal with pain. - psychopath - 11-16-2008 12:48 AM

Unless you can stop the cause, then fighting it is useless.

Your pain is a white ball of healing light... Smile

Re: Best way to deal with pain. - Insert user name here - 11-16-2008 01:24 AM

Yeah, I'd probably say that accepting pain is the best way to deal with it. When my eczema is bothering me, the only thing I can really do is accept that wether I like it or not, I have to live with it. In fact, I'd go as far as saying that accepting pain is the only real way to deal with it. If you think about it, moaning about the pain or wishing it would go away is only going to make you feel worse.

Re: Best way to deal with pain. - Squittle - 11-16-2008 01:41 AM

liq3 Wrote:Let me give you a comic to get what I mean across.

http://www.flipsidecomics.com/comic.php?i=650

That...and the 4 after it.

Hot.

Re: Best way to deal with pain. - thewake - 11-16-2008 03:00 AM

I've always found that the best way to deal with pain is to run from it.
Seriously. Emotional pain, and even physical pain can be avoided if you run. And running around after you have stubbed your toe or bonked your head helps you to calm down through exhaustion too.

Re: Best way to deal with pain. - liq3 - 11-16-2008 03:58 AM

W-Dog32 Wrote:I've always found that the best way to deal with pain is to run from it.
Seriously. Emotional pain, and even physical pain can be avoided if you run. And running around after you have stubbed your toe or bonked your head helps you to calm down through exhaustion too.
Running doesn't help. It just makes you scared, which just makes the pain worse. Razz.

Re: Best way to deal with pain. - The Apathy - 11-16-2008 07:55 AM

If you study meditation long enough, you can tell your body to stop sending impulses of pain to your brain. This makes you invulnerable to bodily pain.

These people can go through arm surgery without medication without having to cope with the distress.

Re: Best way to deal with pain. - SoulRiser - 11-16-2008 09:10 AM

Funny, I was just thinking about this myself earlier. I like pain. Well, kind of. I mean, I like the pain that results from tiring out your muscles until they hurt. I could probably get myself to like other kinds of pain too, but it'd be harder. I think it is the best way of dealing with it. Convince yourself that pain is good, that it's a good experience... and it'll be fine. Might even like it. Razz

Re: Best way to deal with pain. - Elfy - 11-16-2008 03:20 PM

SoulRiser Wrote:Funny, I was just thinking about this myself earlier. I like pain. Well, kind of. I mean, I like the pain that results from tiring out your muscles until they hurt. I could probably get myself to like other kinds of pain too, but it'd be harder. I think it is the best way of dealing with it. Convince yourself that pain is good, that it's a good experience... and it'll be fine. Might even like it. Razz

I do that , I once liften a weight until my arm was throbbing but i continued and evetually it just became numb.

Re: Best way to deal with pain. - HeartofShadows - 11-18-2008 02:43 AM

I think the best way to deal with pain is to find a outlet. Whether it is masturbation, drugs, sleeping, eating, partying, playing or whatever.
It helps ease pain and makes it easier to deal with.

Re: Best way to deal with pain. - random_name - 11-18-2008 02:51 AM

i like physical pain, it helps youto forget any other pain your in.

Re: Best way to deal with pain. - liq3 - 11-18-2008 03:21 AM

Heart of Shadows Wrote:I think the best way to deal with pain is to find a outlet. Whether it is masturbation, drugs, sleeping, eating, partying, playing or whatever.
It helps ease pain and makes it easier to deal with.
Interesting. Psychological pain instead of physical. I think it's the same thing. Just accept the fact that X is true. Most psychological pain seems to result from fear. If you fear it, you haven't accepted it.

Re: Best way to deal with pain. - Lucie - 11-18-2008 05:11 AM

I don't know if this relates but when something, like the infection that I had in my ear, hurts I make it really hurt, by like pressing on it or something so the pain is as bad as it can get and then when I've got past the "shiiiiiiiiiit this hurts" and it's just numb I stop and it is still sore but not so bad as I've just put myself through that.

Re: Best way to deal with pain. - Thotwater - 11-18-2008 06:32 AM

Pop a Tylenol or two.

Re: Best way to deal with pain. - psychopath - 11-18-2008 05:39 PM

Lucie Wrote:I don't know if this relates but when something, like the infection that I had in my ear, hurts I make it really hurt, by like pressing on it or something so the pain is as bad as it can get and then when I've got past the "shiiiiiiiiiit this hurts" and it's just numb I stop and it is still sore but not so bad as I've just put myself through that.

Wow! When I had an ear infection I was a complete wimp and couldn't even sleep from the pain...

Re: Best way to deal with pain. - Alucard483 - 11-19-2008 10:23 AM

Pop a vicodin and then slam a double shot of grey goose. You wont feel anything for a few hours.

Re: Best way to deal with pain. - liq3 - 11-19-2008 11:22 AM

Alucard483 Wrote:Pop a vicodin and then slam a double shot of grey goose. You wont feel anything for a few hours.
How is that dealing with pain? I doubt it's practical too.

"Omg, I cut my finger" *passes out for a few hours*

Re: Best way to deal with pain. - Ahab - 11-19-2008 12:57 PM

liq3 Wrote:Ok, so, lately I've noticed a trend...It seems the best way to deal with pain is to accept it. A comic I read and "Fight Club" both say this. My mother agreed when I asked her (she has arthritis, i.e. she is in pain 24/7). From my small amount of tests, it seems to work. For example, I currently have a ulcer. I am very willing to tounge it. This hurts, but by accepting that, and not trying to deal with it...Well, I don't react to the pain. It's just another experience. I'm starting to think that pain itself is not what causes people problems, but the fear that results from it.

So, what are you thoughts on this? Is this the best method of 'dealing' with pain, or is there a better one? If there is, what is it?

How insightful. Are you really saying both pain and pleasure exist and theres nothing I can do about it? WELL FUCK ME!!!!11

Re: Best way to deal with pain. - liq3 - 11-19-2008 02:21 PM

Ahab Wrote:WELL FUCK ME!!!!11
I'm not gay (or bi). So no thanks.

Re: Best way to deal with pain. - liq3 - 11-23-2008 01:54 AM

Ahab Wrote:How insightful. Are you really saying both pain and pleasure exist and theres nothing I can do about it?
Lol I just realised what you mean't. No, I'm saying you should stop trying to fight it or run away from it.

Re: Best way to deal with pain. - Ahab - 11-29-2008 12:08 PM

liq3 Wrote:
Ahab Wrote:How insightful. Are you really saying both pain and pleasure exist and theres nothing I can do about it?
Lol I just realised what you mean't. No, I'm saying you should stop trying to fight it or run away from it.
Damn, that's hardcore stuff

Re: Best way to deal with pain. - i-am-the-liquor - 11-29-2008 12:47 PM

Alucard483 Wrote:Pop a vicodin and then slam a double shot of grey goose. You wont feel anything for a few hours.

this

Re: Best way to deal with pain. - John Tuttle - 11-30-2008 04:12 AM

Alucard483 Wrote:Pop a vicodin
Dr. House agrees

Re: Best way to deal with pain. - Squittle - 12-03-2008 03:25 PM

There is a certain threshold at which pain goes from strangled "I can deal with this, this isn't as bad as it seems," to "Oh my fucking God this hurts I want to die how can this oh christ I can't breathe please end it." Like a cluster headache or something.

Re: Best way to deal with pain. - Squittle - 12-03-2008 03:25 PM

psychopath Wrote:Wow! When I had an ear infection I was a complete wimp and couldn't even sleep from the pain...

Likewise

Re: Best way to deal with pain. - i-am-the-liquor - 12-03-2008 04:53 PM

john tuttle Wrote:
Alucard483 Wrote:Pop a vicodin
Dr. House agrees

Laugh , im putting this in my sig

Re: Best way to deal with pain. - liq3 - 12-03-2008 07:57 PM

Squittle Wrote:There is a certain threshold at which pain goes from strangled "I can deal with this, this isn't as bad as it seems," to "Oh my fucking God this hurts I want to die how can this oh christ I can't breathe please end it." Like a cluster headache or something.
Yah, this is true...But I think once I tried the "acceptance" method without knowing what it was exactly...This was while I was having one of my lovely stomach aches (I've experienced nothing worse). It actually made it bearable to the point where I could walk (albeit, with difficulty - these stomach aches usually make my legs numb). I have a feeling if I tried this method now, I'd be able to 'ignore it'. By 'ignore', I mean it wouldn't cloud my judgment more then say, a punch in the arm.